Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 351 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I open this one for the next ROH iPPV.

ROH World Championship Match: Kevin Steen(c) vs Davey Richards

ROH TV Championship Elimination Match: Roderick Strong(c) vs Tommaso Ciampa vs Jay Lethal

Michael Elgin vs Fit Finlay

Hybrid Fighting Rules: Kyle O´Reilly vs Adam Cole

First Time Ever: Eddie Edwards vs Homicide

·
Banned
15,929 Posts
Yes! Now we'll see Elgin's true toughness, lol. Anyway, should be good. They should match each other. Didn't see Border Wars, but I can't imagine Strong/Finlay being that bad.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Finlay wins, Strong mocks Elgin for losing and Elgin turn faces and destroy Roddy
Nah, it will be a clean winning for Finlay. Pointless..
Maybe not a clean win...perhaps Strong or Truth accidentally costs Elgin the match pushing towards the split and further building towards the Elgin vs Strong match. Maybe they split here or they could hold off a little longer.

·
Working on a novel about about nothing
2,097 Posts
A solid first match for this show. I'm kinda wondering where they are going to go with the World Title and the Tag Team Titles. Granted I am not looking forward to what they are going to do with the tag team titles because its going to have WGTT but maybe ROH will at least make it interesting.

·
Premium Member
32,163 Posts
Probably be a Steen/Davey rematch and either another WGTT/Briscoes match or WGTT/ANX. Feels like a show that the title has to be defended on and I'm not sure where else they could go with Steen bar a Davey rematch.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
This is a great start to what will be known as ROH's redemption show. They must have a fire lit under their asses after the Border Wars gaffes, so I fully expect them to deliver both a better stream/working website as well as a packed card.

This is the type of match I don't care who wins, I just want to see some fists fly. I was disappointed with Finlay's ROH debut(?) over the weekend, as I thought he and Strong would match up well. They did, for the most part, but something felt off about the match. It was too poorly paced and the finish sank it. But I think Elgin is hungry enough and motivated enough to do some real damage, and I'm sure Finlay wants another crack at having a memorable match, so this should be awesome.

·
Registered
13,042 Posts
Probably be a Steen/Davey rematch and either another WGTT/Briscoes match or WGTT/ANX. Feels like a show that the title has to be defended on and I'm not sure where else they could go with Steen bar a Davey rematch.
Think for the tag title match it has to be WGTT/ANX since they said no more Briscoes/WGTT title matches. Of course a Fight Without Honor is usually supposed to be a feud-ender and yet Briscoes & WGTT continue to have matches against each other so they may throw a random team in there.

Finlay/Elgin should be solid and I expect a Elgin win to continue his roll to breaking away with the HOT and an eventual world title match.

·
Premium Member
32,163 Posts
I think they'll do WGTT/ANX here too and maybe a Briscoes/CHIKARA tag. I can almost guarantee there'll be another WGTT/Briscoes match at some point. Likely before the end of the year. Wouldn't be surprised if they do another 4 way ala last year with WGTT/Briscoes/ANX/Bucks.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
I'm" not exactly sure of all the matches that have been announced thus far so correct me if I slip up. Otherwise, for BITW my card would be something like this with the matches that were announced to my knowledge:

ROH World Championship
-Davey's Last Chance-
Kevin Steen vs. Davey Richards

ROH World Tag Team Championship
WGTT vs. All Night Express (possibly a three-way adding the Briscoes)

ROH World Television Championship
Roderick Strong vs. El Generico or an outsider perhaps?

Dave Finlay vs. Michael Elgin

Adam Cole vs. Kyle O'Reilly

-Triple Threat Match-
Eddie Edwards vs. Mike Bennett vs. Homicide

-Special Stipulation Match (Can't think of one)-
Jay Lethal vs. Tomasso Ciampa

___
*This is all I got so far but it still leaves a good number of other guys off of the card bar potential surprise appearances. I originally went with Strong vs. Cole or TJP for TV Title because I doubt Cole vs. O'Reilly would happen (I think their SITS match was supposed to be the blowoff). Sucks ass they broke up Future Shock they were awesome as a tag team.

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
Briscoes are wrestling the House of Truth.

TV tapings looked like they were building to Strong/Lethal/Ciampa for the PPV but Strong's probably teaming with Rhino unless they're bringing someone else in for the HOT.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
A hostage crisis is goin' down

HOSTAGE CRISIS...
posted on : Wednesday, May 30, 2012 09:00am EDT
by : Kevin Steen

I haven't done this in a little while but I have had quite a bit on my mind since May 12 and I figure, now's the time to clear things up a bit.

A little over two weeks ago in Toronto, I showed the world...well, I showed the 1500 fans at the Ted Reeve Arena and the ones that hadn't given up on the terrible iPPV by then that I was a man of my words. I said I only needed one shot to take the ROH World Title from Davey Richards. And that's exactly what I did. I beat Davey Richards and became ROH World Champion. Not only did I become ROH World Champion...but I became the most unlikely ROH World Champion there's ever been...and to be honest, that's a fact I'm very proud of.

There's something else I'm pretty proud of. It's the fact that on June 24th, at Best In The World 2012 in New York City, I get to walk in as ROH World Champion when a year before, almost to the day, I showed up in ROH in the same building, uninvited, unappreciated and unwelcome. On that day I told ROH and Jim Cornette to go f*** themselves. Now I get to do it again but this time I don't need a microphone because I have the ROH World Title to do so. And I have to admit, that feels pretty great...

But before I do that, I have my first title match coming up, on June 15th in Charleston, WV, against Eddie Edwards. Now, I do realize Eddie's a worthy contender, a tremendous wrestler and as a former champion himself, a logical choice for my first challenger...but I have to admit I'm a bit let down. See, when I won the title I figured there'd be a lot of new challengers gunning for me, some fresh faces for me to chew on. Guys I had never wrestled before. Lots of fresh match-ups. That's important to me because you see, I thrive to give people something different, something never seen before...and let's be honest here, as deserving as Eddie Edwards is, it's not exactly his first shot at the title. And now I find out that if I make it through Eddie, I defend against Roderick Strong in Pittsburgh, PA...now, again...very deserving, great wrestler, bla bla bla...but for f***'s sake, this must be Roderick's 10939th shot at the title. I was really hoping Jim Cornette would have plenty of people lined up to try and take me down once I became champion but instead I get guys that have had their chance at the title...more than once.

I shouldn't be surprised, I suppose...I can't expect ROH and Jim Cornette to change anything. But as champion, I refuse to let things be this way. I will take on Eddie. I will take on Roddy. I'll even take on Davey again. But once I've taken them all down, it's time for some new blood to quench my thirst. But I know now that Jim will not provide me with it. So I have to take matters into my own hands...which takes me back to June 24th in NYC.

People...buy your tickets because you will want to be there to witness what I have planned...and if you can't be there live then let's hope ROH has their shit together and actually manages to provide their fans with a proper iPPV for once, because everyone will want to see what will go down on June 24th...

Without going into great details, let me say that I have planned from the very start of this whole thing to make my first appearance in New York City as World Champion something special...and with Jimmy Jacobs and Steve Corino finally by my side, nothing will stop me from doing just that.

Jim...just so you know...my plan involves you. Actually let me give you a bit more to think about...

My plan involves you getting annihilated. My plan involves you suffering. My plan involves you paying...

There is no more room for you here. It's time for you to go. Jimmy, Steve and I will turn this company upside down and change the entire landscape of ROH. We begin by getting rid of you.

Because once you're gone...we can finally livE.

Jim, this is not about who the ''Best in the World'' is anymore...this is a HOSTAGE CRISIS, and you will be the first victim.

THE ROH WORLD CHAMPION
KEVIN STEEN

·
Banned
15,929 Posts
Intriguing. Or not... You can't believe ROH these days...

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Hybrid Fighting Rules
http://www.rohwrestling.com/news/future-shock-collides-best-world-2012

Their future was bright, tag team dominance was surely in their future, but emotion, jealousy, and bitterness seemingly got in the way as Adam Cole & Kyle O’Reilly, the team known as Future Shock, permanently split ways after Cole pinned Davey Richards in the “Young Wolves Rising” tag match that main-evented the “10th Anniversary Event” in March.

Very shortly thereafter, at “Showdown in the Sun – Day 2” as a matter of fact, the two former partners collided in a singles bout that came to a conclusion when O’Reilly rolled through a flying top rope cross body, the same move Cole used to pin Richards, and turned it into a pinfall victory…hooking the tights to insure his win.

O’Reilly was content with his victory regardless of the means and it seemed he was also content to leave Cole in his past. After some tension between Richards & O’Reilly after their “Unity” tag team bout, all was put to rest and Kyle was set to be in the Davey’s corner at “Border Wars” for his ROH World Title defense against Kevin Steen.

“That was one of the most heartbreaking days of my life for several reasons.” Kyle told ROHWrestling.com, “Not only could I not stand in Davey’s corner during his biggest title match, but I also had to contend with a family emergency that I’d rather not get into the details about. Still I was able to watch the match, and man, I hated what happened, I felt like I could have done something to turn the tide. But something else that night really bugged me man, something earlier on when Adam and Michael Elgin had their match. Kevin Kelly and Nigel called them the breakout stars? Really, Adam Cole is a breakout star? The guy I beat in Florida is the breakout star? The guy who lost that match is a breakout star? Man I must not know what words means, or maybe there’s a different meaning in England, because a loser is not a breakout star!”

Kyle continued to rant on about how Cole is too one-dimensional to be a breakout star, much less the future of Ring of Honor; about how he’s a pretty face with some flashy moves but no knowledge of Jiu Jitsu, no kickboxing, no ground game or submission skills. Kyle pointed out that the dumber fans like those moves but the more intelligent, discerning, sophisticated fans appreciate the hybrid of styles that O’Reilly utilizes and appreciate the effort he puts into his training.

“I know Adam can’t go at the higher levels of competition like me or Davey, but I’m offering him a chance to prove it, and to get me back for Florida since I’ve been hearing he thinks I cheated my way to that win. Let’s call it the Hybrid Fighting Rules challenge…”

O’Reilly provided ROH officials with a detailed listing of what he was looking for and while it’s obvious that his goal is to attempt and embarrass Cole, Adam looked over the rules and has accepted the challenge. He also informed ROH officials, and suggested we pass the word onto Kyle, that ever since the fight with Davey in Dayton at “Rising Above 2012” he has started to focus more on his submission training and stand-up and will double up that training in order to prepare for this bout. He said Kyle should expect Adam to come into this contest with a couple of new tricks up his sleeve.

So on June 24th in NYC, it will be Adam Cole vs. Kyle O’Reilly in a “Hybrid Fighting Rules Challenge”! No pinfalls in this one; it can only end in a knockout, TKO, submission, DQ, or 15 minute time limit draw. The rules are elaborated on below, and while on paper this seems to favor O’Reilly, you can never discount the fight Adam Cole brings to the table. It all happens at “Best in the World 2012” live on iPPV Sunday 6/24/12 and you can still get great seats for ROH’s summer spectacular right here!

-Hybrid Fighting Rules:

Decisions
- Knockout
* Occurs when one competitor falls to the canvas and is unable to rise to his feet within 10 seconds.

- Submission
* Occurs when one competitor taps out or vocally gives up.

- TKO (Technical Knockout)
* Occurs when the referee rules it impossible for a competitor to continue the match.

- Draw
* Occurs when the 15 minute time limit expires

- Disqualification by Fouls
* A loss due to a critical foul or when a participant accumulates 3 total fouls (see below for details)

Fouls
Critical Foul – Cause for immediate disqualification

* Deliberate eye-gouging, groin attacks, biting, and pulling the opponent's hair.
* Use of foreign object
* Outside interference
* Physical abuse to official

Foul – When a competitor accumulates 3 of these fouls he will be disqualified.

* Deliberately going out of the ring or throwing an opponent out of the ring.
* Deliberately holding and utilizing the ring ropes during the match for an advantage.
* Accidental eye-gouging and groin attacks.
* Holding or pulling the opponent's outfit.

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Hostage Crisis was a great read , :lmao at " but for f***'s sake, this must be Roderick's 10939th shot at the title". Hopefully Steen does get some "fresh blood" as he calls it.

Three way elimation match should be good, can't see Roddy dropping the belt though.:/ So the Futureshock match is pretty much an MMA match. lol

Card is looking good though. Hopefully Chikara and Kingston will be involved in some form.

1 - 20 of 351 Posts