Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ROH’s Kelly Klein On Where The Women’s Revolution Started: Impact Wrestling or WWE

Kelly Klein was recently on Interactive Wrestling Radio and spoke on where the women’s revolution started, Impact Wrestling or WWE:
When you look at other things outside of wrestling, at history. The person who writes the history book is always the winner. The person with more money behind them and more exposure is going to claim that. I think the WWE has done and is doing great things for the women’s revolution. But, at this point, I think it is more a collaborative effort. There are so many women who are training and excelling now in the lower levels of wrestling and a lot of that is because they see there is a payoff, there is a place for them. Whereas, 10 years ago, when I was starting, there were very limited roles. That was when the Knockouts started. There were more roles and that was a big deal. There were more than 2 spots on TV for a woman! There was something to accomplish and not such a limited field. In the past, how prudent would it be for a woman to enter wrestling when there was a very slim chance for them to get past that glass ceiling? Of course, I went ahead and did it anyway as did a lot of other women because maybe we’re crazy. (laughs) I think that’s a necessary quality. As far as starting it, I think that the Knockouts really had a huge role in that.

It is kind of funny, in a way. Even though there are more spots available, there are more women going for those spots. We do have to be working even harder and be at the top of our game. I love it because it creates competition among us and within ourselves to be the best.
I am just going to say that I would always consider any opportunity. Every opportunity has many, many variables… many seen and man unforeseen. I am not one who would ever say I would never do this or never work for this place. Every opportunity is different and has to be considered individually.

·
Premium Member
11,108 Posts
Re: ROH’s Kelly Klein On Where The Women’s Revolution Started: Impact Wrestling or WWE

I just found it funny that in the interview, she said she wouldn't turn down appearing in WWE's Mae Young Classic tournament, especially after the shit she gave Scarlett for doing a match on Raw.

Reactions: somerandomfan

·
Lets go to the old mill anyway, get some cider!
15,626 Posts
Re: ROH’s Kelly Klein On Where The Women’s Revolution Started: Impact Wrestling or WWE

Gail and Kong were a 2 woman revolution 10 years beyond anything the WWE has still even done to this point.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts

2006-2009 Knockouts is the best women's division any major promotion has ever had, period.

·
Banned
3,375 Posts

Funny thing is russo book those years 2007- 2009 KO division, dutch left after 2006.

·
Premium Member
44,384 Posts

I mean, she's not wrong.

The early days of the TNA Knockouts was the first time I felt like a wrestling show had a fully fleshed out Women's Division and gave them important roles on the show. You had Gail and Kong on top who were having these amazing matches, but you also had a diverse group of characters like ODB, Tara (Victoria), Roxxi, and The Beautiful People and they all brought something different to the table.

Prior to that, you'd have female stars like Trish, Lita, Chyna, etc, and you'd have some big matches here or there, but it never felt like a complete division that tried to have depth, characters, and stories throughout the show.

But like seemingly everything else in TNA, the division eventually kind of fell apart. And then a few years later, NXT started having these amazing Women's Title matches and WWE saw what was going on in their developmental and went "Hey, we should be doing that on Raw and SD because WOMYN!" and it turned out to be kind of a half assed execution on their part.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts