Wrestling Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Rock was already super over when Austin was still around.It's just that Austin was more protected in 1999 and started that year off as the most over wrestler and biggest superstar.

Rock started the year off as a heel.Turned face after Backlash
because of the face pops he got.

Rock was already a 3 time WWF Champion by the time he turned face and since he was very charismatic and great on the mic he wasn't the guy who needed to be in the main storyline all the time and portrayed as unbeatable to stay over.

It's a myth that Austin was always more over than Rock.

Rock was just as over in 1999 even when he was feuding with guys like Billy Gunn,British Bulldog and Al Snow.

Some Austin marks are in denial.

·
Registered
4,549 Posts
please mod can you make sticky Rock/Austin thread? anything on rock-austin should be discuss in there, i'm sick and tired every few days we see new thread popup on these two and alot of post in non rock-austin thread goes off topic turn into rock-austin comparison.

·
Registered
7,581 Posts
What the point of this thread is i have no idea as we already know that The Rock was already a major star within the wrestling industry in 1999 and before Stone Cold Steve Austin had to take a year out for neck surgery. Once he turned face following Backlash he remained pratically the same character but feuded with heels instead and was thrust into a storyline for most of the year alongside Stone Cold Steve Austin against The Undertaker, Triple H, Vince McMahon, Shane McMahon, The Corportaion and The Ministry.

As soon as Stone Cold Steve Austin was "run down" at Survivor Series there was already someone in place in The Rock to take over that top face role which throughout 2000 we all saw The Rock ascend to become a true alternative to Stone Cold Steve Austin and pratically his equal in terms of popularity, star power and drawing ability. No one denies any of this and i am a mark for both men and will always believe we were spoiled in having both men around at the exact same time because it never happened before nor has it happened since in there being two HUGE stars around and working with or against each other.

I will back Apokalypse in saying that the mods in these forums should really set up a sticky for all Stone Cold Steve Austin/Rock threads because it seems we get one of these every day with a slight twist to the previous one. I loved both men as in ring performers and they have left me with some of the greatest memories i have from wrestling between them but the sooner people understand that both men are no longer wrestlers and that WWE has moved on with the exception of Cena/Rock at WrestleMania 28 the better. It seems that these "Attitude Era" threads are becoming more and more by the day despite the fact that era ended around a decade ago and with the exception of Triple H who is "COO" rather than a wrestler and The Undertaker, Kane and Big Show when they are around there is nothing on screen anymore that has links with that era.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
please mod can you make sticky Rock/Austin thread? anything on rock-austin should be discuss in there, i'm sick and tired every few days we see new thread popup on these two and alot of post in non rock-austin thread goes off topic turn into rock-austin comparison.
The obvious solution would be for you to just stay out of any Rock/Austin thread then.

·
Registered
9,547 Posts
The Rock was already huge in 98 after SS, his pops were getting louder every week and he was "neck to neck" with Austin in popularity.
He surpassed Austin in August 99 and never looked back.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
actually if you watched wrestling at this period thats a clever lie. After completely bombing as Rocky Maivia he was repeckaged and put into the NOD and got quite the rub off of Farauq. It started his heel turn and began his popularity. It wasn't however until Austin himself became popular and there feud took off that the Rock got any real level of popularity.
Sorry but I was around watching that era. Trying to rewrite history has always bothered me.

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
I've said it before and i'll say it again. Rock in 1999 became one of the most over guys ever in the business, when Austin was around.

But in 1999, still Austin > Rock, no doubt in my mind.

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
I agree with this. 100%.

And to Rock316AE, don't forget this either.

·
Banned
15 Posts
I've said it before and i'll say it again. Rock in 1999 became one of the most over guys ever in the business, when Austin was around.

But in 1999, still Austin > Rock, no doubt in my mind.
1999: PWI- Rock was voted most popular, Austin was 2nd. Wrestling Observer- Rock was the biggest draw, Austin was 2nd. Shopzone- Rock sold the most merch, Austin was 2nd. WM 99 was also had the highest buyrate even w/o a celebrity hence why they booked the same match again at Backlash. Rock also had the highest rated segment in history that year hence why Vince named a show after him. By late 99 Vince started using Rock in commercials while Austin was still there. Rock dominated Austin in every aspect dispute horrific booking

·
Banned
24 Posts
Austin > Rock...

Out cheered Rock at Wrestlemania 15, 17, 19 and Backlash 1999

Got the biggest pop at Rock's crowning moment of glory during Backlash 2000

Is more popular amongst wrestling fans while Rock was more popular with mainstream pop culture, fashion obsessed and techno music loving artificially personalitied yuppies.

·
Banned
24 Posts
1999 was 13 years ago.

Should we still care?

Discussion about who is more popular is irrelevant to everything.

13 years of it is just fucking retarded.
Same reason people still talk about Isaac Newton, Albert Einstein or The Beatles. They were just too damn influential on their craft or area of expertise to be completely forgotten.

Rock and Austin are what to pro wrestling is as what The Beatles/Michael Jackson are to popular music and Isaac Newton/Albert Einstein to physics.

·
Banned
14,118 Posts
Same reason people still talk about Isaac Newton, Albert Einstein or The Beatles. They were just too damn influential on their craft or area of expertise to be completely forgotten.
I can certainly understand talking about them separately or comparing them at certain things, but arguing about who was more "over" 13 years ago doesn't matter. At all.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Too many topics about this subject.

However I would say there wasn't much difference between them. In fact this is the only era where you really saw virtually no difference between the two top babyfaces. If you look at Hogan/Savage or Warrior, Bret/Shawn or Diesel or Luger and Cena/DM Punk or whoever then you will see there was actually quite a significant difference between the two. Certainly Shawn never achieved the same popularity as Bret and when Bret returned in early 97, Shawn decided to bail out. Likewise Savage never really reached the heights of Hulkamania, even in 1992 when Hogan was on the way out. However Austin/Rock was different. In 1998 it was unthinkable that someone else would easily replace Austin. In 1999 though it was only a question of when not if Rock would replace Austin as top face. However like I said their popularity was pretty much equal so it didn't come to to very much. Probably the deciding factor was that Austin declined faster, due to this injuries. X7 was a huge event because it was seen as the deciding factor in who would be top face. Would Austin regain his position? Austin unselfishly turned heel but what really annoyed Austin was the fact that Rock right away left to do movies. In 2002 Austin's could barely do his "oh hell yeah's" without his voice breaking. Austin knew this and wisely went out while he was still a main eventer. Rock came back from time to time and finally passed the torch to Lesnar.

·
Registered
9,549 Posts
Rock was over as it got without the protective booking that Stone Cold always got.

That pretty much tells you just how over Rock was. He didn't need Vince to treat him like a God to be the most over guy in the company.

Vince went out of his way to say Austin > Rock and to make sure that Austin knew he was their still face of the company because he knew how fragile Stone Cold was (see him quitting multiple times once he was pushed down the ladder) yet in the end Rocky came out on top.

You can debate this subject for years and never convince anyone on who was truly bigger.

·
Banned
15 Posts
Austin > Rock...

Out cheered Rock at Wrestlemania 15, 17, 19 and Backlash 1999

Got the biggest pop at Rock's crowning moment of glory during Backlash 2000

Is more popular amongst wrestling fans while Rock was more popular with mainstream pop culture, fashion obsessed and techno music loving artificially personalitied yuppies.

Your a complete idiot but im about to school you kid.

1999: PWI- Rock was voted most popular, Austin 2nd. Wrestling Observer- Rock was the biggest draw, Austin 2nd. Shopzone- Rock sold the most merch, Austin 2nd. WM 15 had a better buyrate than WM 14 w/o a celeb. Rock had the highest rated segment in history, got a show named after him, was featured on both video game commercials that came out that year over Austin (WWF Attitude/Wrestlmania 2000) Y2J even wrote in his book that Vince said he would debut w/ the hottest performer. Rock was awarded best babyface/gimmick/interviews/and most charismatic so the fact is he dominated Austin in 99 while only being a face half the time.

Austin was scared shitless of Rock, how do i know? Austin was suppose to face Rock at SS 98 hence why Rock was the #1 contender and during his match w/ Jeff Jarratt Rock/Austin had an epic stare down at the end bc it was the 2 top faces about to clash for the first time. Why would Rock be the #1 contender if they were gonna have a tournament for the title? Duh! Austin was such a pussy not only did he forfeit the title but opted to lose in the semi-finals to Foley so he could avoid facin a super over Rock, which btw was the only PPV he didnt headline in 98. Austin would skip Unforgiven 99 bc it was a 6 man tag-match for the title which had Rock and once again Austin was scared of gettin booed yet he appeared at the VERY NEXT PPV against Trips. Austin dodge Rock yet again at SS 99, Austin marks claim he was hurt but how would 1 last match kill him specially given that it was on PPV and he was wrestling on FREE TV just a week before like wtf? Funny how in 98 AND 99 Austin always found a way to avoid facin a face Rock, nobody can argue WWF/Vince never purposed to have there 2 top faces go at it both years but Austin was to pussy. When Austin couldnt run anymore he only agreed to WM 17 if it was held in TX (his backyard) to give him the advantage and insure he wouldnt get booed. Sad part is Austin HIMSELF even admitted he felt stale and turned heel bc Rock was extremely hot and the TOP GUY!

Austin marks like to say Rock only got big or became "the man" once Austin left yet neglect to mention Rock was a heel in 97/98-mid 99, he got over huge late 98 as a face yet his run was short as fuck -__- Rock dominated Austin in every way possible in 99 and offically became "the face of the company' around Aug 99 due to him sellin more than double Austins merch the 2nd half of 99. Moreover Austin was unable to ever regain his top spot which proves that Rock is king. Last i checked Austins career only skyrocketed once the 2 top stars HBK/Bret were gone yet i love how nobody ever mentions that, i wonder how Rocks career wouldve been like if Austin/Trips both left for good late 99.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Threads like this are pointless, Does it matter who was the most over, I have my favorite out of the two but im glad i got to witness an Era where the two Titans went to war. I feel sorry for out new wrestling fans who didn't get to witness it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.