Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Banned
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently on the year 2000. In July. Just watched the Fully Loaded ppv. That card was fully loaded haha. Jericho/HHH Last man standing match stole the show. But Rock Benoit is just so good. The way they booked Rock to put a beatdown on Chris. Was one of Rocks most defining moments. He was always a showman. But this showed he can be dangerous. These two had such great in ring chemistry. The Psychology is brilliant. This feud does not get talked about as much as say Rock HHH. But it is definately one of the feuds of the AE.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I agree 100%! Easily one of the most underrated feuds and matches from 2000! It’s amazing that such a brief feud, with the right booking and creative can turn out so well, hmmmm?

Benoit was a great heel during this run and putting him with Shane made him even more unlikable, you were just desperate to see him get his ass kicked! I remember the video package before the match was also great when Benoit vowed to make The Rock squeal! I actually feared for The Rock in this match which is great storytelling from all involved!

Him putting the Crossface on Earl Hebner was another highlight as it really emphasised how cruel and sadistic Benoit was.

The match was also very good with great chemistry between both guys and they told a great story!

·
I know I'm dope, but don't wet that.
11,430 Posts
Re: Rock/Beniot the most underrated feud of the AE?

One could argue Rock vs Jericho rival this.

·
Registered
6,253 Posts

It was really good. Such a great contrast of styles to. I remember seeing and interview with Benoit where he talked about how he'd always respected/admired Rock's charisma and ability to cut promos/get the crowd going. But he wanted to see how well Rock could go in the ring as well, and he came away from their match impressed with Rock's abilities there to.

·
Registered
17,496 Posts

It was fun when Kane. Undertaker and Rock beat down the crafty Benoit at Unforgiven too.

·
Registered
673 Posts

The Summer of 2000 was a big home run for the WWE. Rock v Benoit was lit. This was the type of simple but layered storylines WWE used to do brilliantly.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Granted, Rock vs. Benoit was good, but it was in the midst of what was one of the weakest babyface CHAMPIONSHIP runs. For a guy that was at the very top of the company and was insanely popular, this was Rock's longest title run (only 4 months). Yeah, ratings and gates continued to soar and Vince raked in the dough, but Rock was booked rather weakly as champion.

For starters, he won the belt by pinning VINCE MCMAHON in a 6 man tag match and lost it to a ROOKIE (Kurt Angle) with non-title pinfall losses to Triple H on Smackdown and a CLEAN job to Undertaker in RAW. They gave him Benoit who was not top level in WWF at that point. He had to have Shane there to give him the rub. The Fully Loaded match was good, but Rock looked rather stupid with getting DQ'ed with the "lose the belt on a DQ" stipulation. Yeah, he won the match later, but your mega-over babyface champion looked weak.

The real feud Rock should have had after moving on from the never ending feud with HHH should have been Undertaker. I would have given him Kane at Fully Loaded as Kane was more over than Benoit, followed by Undertaker at Summerslam (as Kane and Taker were both in the title picture in said 6 man tag match). Rock should have gotten wins over those two to solidify his place at the top in Austin's absence and Benoit could have been built up to be a more credible challenger after Summerslam.

I would have had Rock either hold the belt all the way until Wrestlemania and his showdown with Austin or do a quick switch back and forth with Undertaker around Survivor Series and Royal Rumble.

Benoit was not ready for Prime Time at that point and him being WCW Champion earlier in the year bears no weight as WCW's fatal nosedive was full steam ahead at that point.

·
Registered
14,593 Posts
It was a great match for sure. The showman in The Rock vs. the great technician in Benoit. Truly a good feud on a Fully Loaded 2000 card that I've heard called the best non big 4 PPV in WWE history.

·
Banned
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Granted, Rock vs. Benoit was good, but it was in the midst of what was one of the weakest babyface CHAMPIONSHIP runs. For a guy that was at the very top of the company and was insanely popular, this was Rock's longest title run (only 4 months). Yeah, ratings and gates continued to soar and Vince raked in the dough, but Rock was booked rather weakly as champion.

For starters, he won the belt by pinning VINCE MCMAHON in a 6 man tag match and lost it to a ROOKIE (Kurt Angle) with non-title pinfall losses to Triple H on Smackdown and a CLEAN job to Undertaker in RAW. They gave him Benoit who was not top level in WWF at that point. He had to have Shane there to give him the rub. The Fully Loaded match was good, but Rock looked rather stupid with getting DQ'ed with the "lose the belt on a DQ" stipulation. Yeah, he won the match later, but your mega-over babyface champion looked weak.

The real feud Rock should have had after moving on from the never ending feud with HHH should have been Undertaker. I would have given him Kane at Fully Loaded as Kane was more over than Benoit, followed by Undertaker at Summerslam (as Kane and Taker were both in the title picture in said 6 man tag match). Rock should have gotten wins over those two to solidify his place at the top in Austin's absence and Benoit could have been built up to be a more credible challenger after Summerslam.

I would have had Rock either hold the belt all the way until Wrestlemania and his showdown with Austin or do a quick switch back and forth with Undertaker around Survivor Series and Royal Rumble.

Benoit was not ready for Prime Time at that point and him being WCW Champion earlier in the year bears no weight as WCW's fatal nosedive was full steam ahead at that point.
True fair enough points. I agree Rock was prob the weakest booked top babyface in WWF/WWE history. Despite all of that he was crazy almost Austin peak 1998 level of overness. No matter what. I Guess you could argue on each end of the spectrum. Cena and Romans Superman booking, where they bulldoze the roster. Is that any more preferable to say Rocks weak as hell booking. Least with Rock, it was less predictable then any of Cena and Romans feuds.

Still Rock and Benoit had some damn good matches. And it was evident with the build. They created doubt, that Chris was a legit threat to Rock. Kinda reminds me of current WWE with Becky and Lacey. Solid feud, but prob not the legit feud Becky needed after beating Ronda. Same with rock. After coming off a hot storyline with the Mcmahon-Helmsley Faction. He needed just as much, or more hotter feud. Heel Taker was prob the best bet, or Kane like you said. OF course Angle eventually won the belt.

·
Registered
6,209 Posts
Fantastic feud. Anyone who say's The Rock wasn't a good in ring worker. Show them this feud.

One bit I loved was when in a backstage segment, Benoit had Rock in the crippler crossface and you had HHH laughing in the Rock face. God, WWE could make you really hate their heels back in the day and made their faces look like fucking stars and make you want to see them get their revenge.

·
Premium Member
43,977 Posts
They did some good stuff.

I remember really liking their Fully Loaded 2000 match. I haven't watched it in forever...maybe I should do that?

·
Registered
854 Posts
Fantastic feud. Anyone who say's The Rock wasn't a good in ring worker. Show them this feud.

One bit I loved was when in a backstage segment, Benoit had Rock in the crippler crossface and you had HHH laughing in the Rock face. God, WWE could make you really hate their heels back in the day and made their faces look like fucking stars and make you want to see them get their revenge.
I remember that segment. HHH used a kid asking him for an autograph to bait Rock.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Prime Rock would be the best worker in the world today. His mix of selling, psychology, intensity, and athleticism would be unmatched. I lol whenever people say Rock couldn't work.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts