Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
DAVID OTUNGA's Personal Assistant
9,748 Posts
2 completely different styles of acting and nuances.

however, i prefer De Niro. he expressed more of the internal, pent-up tension, like a constant building rage, whereas Al Pacino was all about expressing it and doing that cool shouting thing he does.

they're both fantastic though.
but just to see what happens, i'll say this: fuck Scarface.

·
40,604 Posts
Pacino is good but pretty overrated. I like De Niro better.

Both became a farce in their later careers. Their scene in Heat is fucking hilarious. Yeah I know Heat isn't a comedy.

·
9,748 Posts
Pacino is good but pretty overrated. I like De Niro better.

Both became a farce in their later careers. Their scene in Heat is fucking hilarious. Yeah I know Heat isn't a comedy.
lolwut?

a farce?! A FARCE?

you mean to tell me this shitstorm wasn't a barnburner of epic proportions, a true masterpiece in the style of the greatest gangster films of all time?

·
Registered
955 Posts
however, i prefer De Niro. he expressed more of the internal, pent-up tension, like a constant building rage, whereas Al Pacino was all about expressing it and doing that cool shouting thing he does.
Al Pacino was never always over the top and shouting. His performances in the Godfather films, Cruising, Dog Day Afternoon an Panic in Needle Park say otherwise. His performances in Scarface and Scent of a Woman are that but they are terrible performances.

That said, I much prefer De Niro even if he's no longer any good anymore.

·
9,748 Posts
Al Pacino was never always over the top and shouting. His performances in the Godfather films, Cruising, Dog Day Afternoon an Panic in Needle Park say otherwise. His performances in Scarface and Scent of a Woman are that but they are terrible performances.

That said, I much prefer De Niro even if he's no longer any good anymore.
ok, fine. his performances in righteous kill, 88 minutes, two for the money, the recruit, insomnia, any given sunday, the insider, the devil's advocate, donnie brasco, heat, carlito's way, scent of a woman, and scarface. there's a reason it's his legacy. not only did he do it in his biggest lead roles, but he also did it a majority of times.

there are more too, where his schtick was prevalent, but i'm lazy.

but i digress. maybe i should have just said "most," but i assumed everyone knew what i meant.

I still haven't seen this. Is it as funny as Airplane! or Super Troopers?
no, it's really not funny at all, which was sad. there's some homo-eroticism though between the two you might enjoy.

·
Banned
2,155 Posts
At some point in his career Pacino decided to shout his ass off and mistook this for showing emotion. His performances are now as predictable and cliched as a John Cena comedy promo. Also a lot of his great performances have gone unnoticed in his space of his crap, overrated ones Scent of a Woman and Scarface are god awful performances especially when compared to his subtle, engaging work in Serpico and Scarecrow. Pacino was perhaps the best actor of the seventies with De Niro a close second but De Niro continued solidly into the eighties whereas Pacino began to fade. Nineties they were both a shadow of their former selves although both had their moments (Goodfellas, Cape Fear for De Niro), Glengarry Glen Ross, Donnie Brasco - Pacino.)

Ultimately De Niro has had more standout performances.

·
Premium Member
2,103 Posts
I think DeNiro is the better overall actor, but I think Pacino has my favorite performance of all time with his work in "Scent of a Woman".
Pacino was absolutely phenomenal in ''Scent of a Woman''. Easily one my favourite performance's from the man, no matter how many people will disagree with me.

·
9,748 Posts
Are you saying they look longingly into one another's eyes? Or just straight up fuck each other?
i don't remember completely, but i'm pretty sure they make some gay jokes with each other, and they have that cop relationship where its like "we could never get a woman to stick with us, but we've always stuck with us, how devoted we are." and yeah, they look longingly into each others eyes. especially at the ending.

i couldn't take Pacino seriously in Scent of a Woman. just like i couldn't in Scarface.

in the 70's though, the guy was legit. 80's and after, a bit of a mess but still fun to watch.

·
Banned
2,155 Posts
Al Pacino is ridiculously cringeworthy in Scent of a Woman. At least in Scarface his character gets some cool moments with a gun in his hand, in Scent of a Woman there is nothing to disguise the horror of Pacino hamming it up as if his life depended on it. That final speech he delivers makes me gag.

HOOOOOOOOO-HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

In my opinion the thread title should be DE NIRO VS DANIEL DAY LEWIS. I can only think of one bad Day Lewis film and I've never seen him give a poor performance

1 - 20 of 45 Posts