Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just read Road Warrior Animal autobiography.
In the book he claims they never lost the titles to Money Inc in Jan/Feb 1992, but rather Money Inc was just introduced as the new champions, despite a Tag Team titles match never took place between them.

I've never read or heard anything like this before. So is there any other instances this has happened regardign titles switching hands without a match ever being taken place?

·
Registered
980 Posts
yup the rockers won the titles from the hart foundation but the ring ropes broke during the match ans since it was tape the wwe never acknowledge them as champions and put the belts back on the harts a few days later

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
There was a discussion on another wrestling forum that briefly discussed this. From what I can recall the Road Warriors only agreed to drop the titles on a non taped house show so that they could protect their characters in other promotions. Animal would later make the claim that there was no match so a few possibilities arise.

1) The match never took place, and the title change info is what was booked. WWE just counts it so that there is an unbroken lineage in that era.

2) Animal is not being truthful about the match. It did take place, but Animal can make the claim it didn't since he knows it wasn't recorded as per the alleged agreement with Vince.

3) Animal is mistaken and he is confusing this with a different scheduled match.

·
Registered
9,346 Posts
yup the rockers won the titles from the hart foundation but the ring ropes broke during the match ans since it was tape the wwe never acknowledge them as champions and put the belts back on the harts a few days later
Not being funny but that's the total opposite of what the OP is asking. You're talking about a match that actually happened but was stricken from the history books. The OP is talking about matches in the history books that never actually happened.

The most famous one, I think, is when Pat Patterson allegedly won a tournament held in Rio de Janeiro, unifying the WWF North American Championship with the South American Championship to create the WWF Intercontinental Championship. The tournament, apparently, never happened. It was fiction!

·
Premium Member
19,291 Posts
Not being funny but that's the total opposite of what the OP is asking. You're talking about a match that actually happened but was stricken from the history books. The OP is talking about matches in the history books that never actually happened.

The most famous one, I think, is when Pat Patterson allegedly won a tournament held in Rio de Janeiro, unifying the WWF North American Championship with the South American Championship to create the WWF Intercontinental Championship. The tournament, apparently, never happened. It was fiction!
So you're saying that it's a modern myth?

·
Registered
4,936 Posts
I remember once they booked the Freebirds to have beaten the Von Erichs for the 6-man tag team title but the match never took place. It was just something to get heat for the feud.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Rock n Roll Express beating Rick Rude/ Manny Fernandez for the NWA tag titles in I want to say 1987 never happened

Rude left for the WWF. They were going to have RNR beat Fernandez and Ivan Koloff (with Koloff as an "injury subatitute for,Rude). But Fernandez left too, so they did the phantom title change.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts