Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
FOTC
11,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did Orton ever hit the RKO on Bryan in their PPV matches?

I ask this question because I'm wondering what did Orton gain in this feud against Daniel Bryan. He played second fiddle to Triple H in the storyline. That's one thing. But as far as the matches go Orton defeated Daniel Bryan at Summerslam in the MITB cash in, yet didn't win with the RKO. He won after HHH pedigreed Bryan. When Orton won at HIAC he did so after HBK hit Sweet Chin Music on Bryan. On top of that I don't recall Orton ever hitting the RKO at any point in the three pay-per-view matches (NOC, Battleground, HIAC). Can anyone else confirm this?

If this was the case that probably explains why the matches were so mediocre. To not have Orton hit the RKO just takes drama away from the match. And it makes him look inferior that he won with someone else's finisher. That's why I think it's imperative that he defeats Big Show cleanly at Survivor Series. Orton has always been able to beat faces cleanly despite being a heel.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Orton, Bryan, and Show have all been booked like afterthoughts in the storyline. Bryan was constantly treated like a goblin and Orton like a minion. Show was being made cry on national television for weeks.

The only way to redeem Orton now is to have him beat Show at Survivor Series and maybe punt him afterwards. But I won't hold my breath.

·
FOTC
11,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a feeling Orton will defeat Show with the punt.

I still cannot believe Orton never beat Bryan cleanly at any point during their feud. As a heel Orton has beaten Benoit, Cena, HBK, Triple H clean, yet he couldn't beat Bryan?

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
They were protecting the RKO, since wrestlers rarely kick out of it, they didn't want anybody to kick out of it just yet. The one time it got used was when Orton interfered in one of the Bryan/Shield matches & hit an RKO that gave Bryan the loss.

Two other times I remember are the coronation RKO, & one on SD where Orton came from under the ring & hit Bryan with it.

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
They were protecting the RKO, since wrestlers rarely kick out of it, they didn't want anybody to kick out of it just yet. The one time it got used was when Orton interfered in one of the Bryan/Shield matches & hit an RKO that gave Bryan the loss.

Two other times I remember are the coronation RKO, & one on SD where Orton came from under the ring & hit Bryan with it.
They could have had Orton pick up bryan at SS AFTER the pedigree and do an RKO on him, also at HIAC bryan could have received sweet chin music and turned around into an RKO.

I think it's because they wanted orton to win heel like, and RKO gets pops.

·
Banned
3,554 Posts
Wait... so Bryan didn't take the RKO!?

This shit is getting outrageous. Bryan is getting some of the most protected loses in recent history and with no results!

This is starting to piss me off. So, they have him beat Cena clean (with an unestablished finisher), never take an RKO, get some of the most protected loses of the year and try forcing the issue of saying he should be the face of the company.

Bryan marks should NEVER say ANYONE was shoved down people's throats.

·
Registered
6,640 Posts
Wait... so Bryan didn't take the RKO!?

This shit is getting outrageous. Bryan is getting some of the most protected loses in recent history and with no results!

This is starting to piss me off. So, they have him beat Cena clean (with an unestablished finisher), never take an RKO, get some of the most protected loses of the year and try forcing the issue of saying he should be the face of the company.

Bryan marks should NEVER say ANYONE was shoved down people's throats.
Uh.. Bryan took a clean visual pinfall to an exploder suplex from Orton. Other than his match with Cena, Bryan hasn't been any more protected than many other top babyfaces in recent memory (Punk for example). He's pretty much only booked strong against the Shield.

·
Banned
3,554 Posts
Uh.. Bryan took a clean visual pinfall to an exploder suplex from Orton. Other than his match with Cena, Bryan hasn't been any more protected than many other top babyfaces in recent memory (Punk for example). He's pretty much only booked strong against the Shield.
If the match was REALLY going to end on that spot Bryan wasn't taking that pin fall.

And HOW is BRYAN's LOSSES not protected!?

Summerslam = Beat Cena clean. Had Cena come back the next night and say it was clean. Only loses the belt because of the cash in.

Night of Champions - Wins the match. Decision is reversed because the ref counted fast. Ref only counted fast because it was a conspiracy to make sure Bryan didn't get the belt.

Battleground- Everyone is knocked out.

Hell In A Cell - Ref is distracted by Triple H when Bryan has upperhand. Ref then Superkicks Bryan.

Now, I'm hearing he doesn't even take the RKO. Cena takes RKO's!

I'm not saying he has to lose clean, but damn can he lose without an investigation needed everytime. I mean this shit is over the top.

All to... do nothing with him afterwards.

·
Registered
6,640 Posts
If the match was REALLY going to end on that spot Bryan wasn't taking that pin fall.

Summerslam = Beat Cena clean. Had Cena come back the next night and say it was clean. Only loses the belt because of the cash in.

Night of Champions - Wins the match. Decision is reversed because the ref counted fast. Ref only counted fast because it was a conspiracy to make sure Bryan didn't get the belt.

Hell In A Cell - Ref is distracted by Triple H when Bryan has upperhand. Ref then Superkicks Bryan.

I'm not saying he has to lose clean, but damn can he lose without an investigation needed everytime. I mean this shit is over the top.

It doesn't matter.. You'd never see Cena or Punk take a visual pinfall to such a low impact move. Ref bump or not.. And Bryan only looked strong because he was doing the job. Bryan was at his peak in popularity and you expect him to lose clean? I understand you don't like him but that's not fair at all. Plus, it's obvious why Orton didn't use the RKO. No one has kicked out of that finisher in the last several years.. They wanted to protect the finisher by not using it as a spot for the match and because it would get Orton more heat if he pinned Bryan after HHH and HBK respectively hit their finishes on him. The Big Show Battleground spot was more about putting Show over than putting Bryan over.

·
FOTC
11,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
He can't lose without a criminal investigation following it.
Very true. I just hope fans realize WWE gave Bryan every chance to overtake Cena, but he failed. The guy got one of the greatest rubs ever when Cena picked him for the match at Summerslam in front of the whole roster. He got ample time in the build up with Vince McMahon. He was the main focus leading into Summerslam and the buyrate was a major failure.

·
Registered
6,640 Posts
Very true. I just hope fans realize WWE gave Bryan every chance to overtake Cena, but he failed. The guy got one of the greatest rubs ever when Cena picked him for the match at Summerslam in front of the whole roster. He got ample time in the build up with Vince McMahon. He was the main focus leading into Summerslam and the buyrate was a major failure.
:lmao If you honestly believe this I really don't know what to tell you.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Oh yeah that epic build-up of him being called short, ugly and not good enough. Oh boy what a great main event push that was. I mean Brock, Orton, and Cena would be so so jealous of this amazing opportunity they gave Bryan. Gee golly wow. :side::stupid:

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
WWE really protected Bryan in this feud. The IWC will never admit to do this for obvious reasons.
The thing is though I don't really think the post Summerslam PPV booking helped either Orton or Bryan in the main event title matches. Bryan's not lost clean to Orton but then Orton's also not lost clean to Bryan in 3 different matches so I'd say they are as protected as each other. I would not really call it protection though, more pointless to both parties. The night of champions booking with the whole fast count has never been addressed(although HHH paying off the ref is clearly implied) and Show knocking out both Orton and Bryan at Battleground helped neither. The finish to HIAC with Bryan being screwed by HBK does nothing for either other than give Orton the title.

Bryan's been booked well against the Shield and does have a clean win over Cena but I think with better booking both Bryan and Orton would look much better.

Personally, I think the series of matches they had earlier in the Year on Raw and Smackdown did more for than asperformers than their main event booking. Both lost clean once but looked strong in the matches they had and both won once.

BTW - I hope Orton beats Show clean at SS. If you're point is Orton's not being booked well as a champion rather than Bryan has been super protected I would agree.

·
Registered
3,582 Posts

Hell in a Cell doesn't really qualify, since DB would have lost clean before that spot.

& not taking an RKO is more like protecting Orton than Bryan, the RKO right now is basically an "I win lol" move, they didn't want Bryan kicking out of it.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
You don't need to tell me anything because your opinion doesn't matter on this subject -- I'm looking at facts. Summerslam failed. Daniel Bryan was the main focus of the show and it didn't draw. End of discussion.
Bryan was not the main focus of Summerslam though. There was a dual main event with 3 established main eventers and Bryan so they all have to be held responsible. It's a pity that did not draw as it is one of the best PPV's I have seen in the last few years from WWE with two very good main event matches and two of the better booked angles of the year.

Summerslam deserved to draw. The shit they have booked since deserved to bomb.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts