Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Likes wrestling....
9,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
1. Hulk Hogan: This one is a no brainer
2. Ric Flair; Savage may not be in the Flair "Rushmore" Flair is certainly in the Savage version.
3. Jerry Lawler: The most important rivalry on many levels for Savage. He became a star and learned the business.
4. Ricky Steamboat: Their feud was groundbreaking for fans of that era.
5. Jake Roberts: A bitter rivalry that started with a rare WWF heel vs heel match on SNME.
6. Dutch Mantell: Their war over the Mid American Title was back and forth for the greater part of a year.
7. Tito Santana: Tito and Randy put on some brilliant work night after night when Savage first stepped foot into the WWF.
8. Ronnie Garvin: Their feud was the main storyline for the old ICW promotion.
9. Ultimate Warrior: Savage did cost Warrior the title.
10. Lex Luger: Sigh, I guess this belongs here.
11. George Steele: The beauty and the beast angle WWF style, not the best but kids liked it.
12. Honkeytonk Man: Well it was a legit feud believe it or not.
13. The Rock N Roll Express; Savage spent much of his early career tagging with his brother and dad. The RNR's were their prefect foes. Randy could beat the crap out of Ricky and the fans would scream.
14. DDP: A late career feud for Savage
15. Ted Dibiase: Ran into Ted many times over the years especially as a Mega Power

HM: Lanny Poffo, Brett Hart, Jim Duggan, Dusty Rhodes, Bad New Brown, Tiger Conway, Tony Atlas

·
My mom thinks I'm cool.
2,185 Posts
Oh come now, you gotta put DDP higher than that!

Reactions: karlos4live

·
Registered
4,231 Posts
Warrior is up there for me. Savage is the only guy who was able to give Warrior an A+ quality match. And he did it twice, at WrestleMania and Summerslam 1992

·
NBA
5,242 Posts
Does Lawler honestly belong at 3? Before Steamboat?
I think its 3rd place is warranted to a decent extent. Savage feud with Lawler was one of CWA most profitable feuds in the 80s and also Savage's first actual proper high profile feud and what got him noticed by Vince, who rushed to poach him. It also was something that was anticipated by fans because Savage had been doing cross promotional digs at Lawler and the rest of the top CWA names while he was still in ICW, often saying he was going to go to Memphis right then and there to beat them, so when he actually went to the CWA, it got buzz and drew. Basically, Savage vs Lawler was to Savage what Hogan vs Bock was to Hogan.

Steamboat was a feud that had that big match at WM 3 which was for decades the WM with the best attendance numbers, so it has an argument for the 3rd position too due to mere exposure, but still, one could argue that Savage vs Lawler was THE feud in CWA in late 84-early 85, with Savage being the hottest name and also the big draw in CWA during that brief period of time, while Steamboat vs Savage was just one of the several top WWF feuds of early 87.

Not saying Lawler is the clearly bigger feud, just saying that there are several reasons as for why it has a claim to be one of the pivotal programs of Randy's career.

·
Likes wrestling....
9,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Does Lawler honestly belong at 3? Before Steamboat?
Yes.100%
I think its 3rd place its warranted to a decent extent. Savage feud with Lawler was one of CWA most profitable feuds in the 80s and also Savage's first actual proper high profile feud and what got him noticed by Vince, who rushed to poach him. It also was something that was anticipated by fans because Savage had been doing cross promotional digs at Lawler and the rest of the top CWA names while he was still in ICW, often saying he was going to go there right then and there to beat them, so when he actually went over th CWA, it got buzz and drew. Basically, Savage vs Lawler was to Savage what Hogan vs Bock was to Hogan.

Steamboat was a feud that had that big match at WM 3 which was for decades the WM with the best attendance numbers, so it has an argument for the 3rd position too due to mere exposure, but still, one could argue that Savage vs Lawler wasTHE feud in CWA in kate 84-early 85,with Savage being the hottest name and also the big draw in CWA during that brief period of time, while Steamboat vs Savage was just one of the several top WWF feud of early 87.

Not saying Lawler is the clearly bigger feud, just saying that there are several reasons as for why it has a claim to be one of the pivotal programs of Randy's career.
You took the words out of my mouth. Plus the ICW had been promoting this feud for months even before Savage stepped onto Memphis television.

Jimmy Hart is the one who took notice of Savage in Memphis, which led to his call to New York in 85

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Honestly Randy's work vs The Honky Tonk Man was outstanding... OK it was more like he was against the entire Jimmy Hart stable at the time since the Hart Foundation and Jimmy always seemed involved. They had some great matches in 1987-88.

·
Do they have Krusty's Partially Gelatinated, Non-D
2,722 Posts
Great thread Lawler. Hogan and Flair are definitely clear cut #1 and 2.

Randy’s work with Flair in late 95 and early 96 is truly the catalyst that got WCW Nitro rolling. On one hand, Flair and Savage were a fairly fresh feud, and on the other hand they were both tremendous workers who could get it done.

·
Likes wrestling....
9,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Great thread Lawler. Hogan and Flair are definitely clear cut #1 and 2.

Randy’s work with Flair in late 95 and early 96 is truly the catalyst that got WCW Nitro rolling. On one hand, Flair and Savage were a fairly fresh feud, and on the other hand they were both tremendous workers who could get it done.

I always preferred crazy 82-85 Randy....

start at 23:00

·
Do they have Krusty's Partially Gelatinated, Non-D
2,722 Posts
Pre WWE Randy is fun. I dunno if at times it was poor audio, or just that Randy hadn’t found his voice, but he sounded completely insane, as the listener couldn’t understand a work he was saying.

·
Likes wrestling....
9,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Pre WWE Randy is fun. I dunno if at times it was poor audio, or just that Randy hadn’t found his voice, but he sounded completely insane, as the listener couldn’t understand a work he was saying.
Pre WWF Randy was so much better.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts