Wrestling Forum banner
41 - 60 of 327 Posts

· The Face of Evil
6,979 Posts
Looking forward to Ember vs Mercedes. Should be a hard hitting slugfest. Too bad they're wasting Athena's time with this throw away title from a defunct promotion, she should be winning the TBS title instead, but at least this is better than being stuck on Dark forever.

· Registered
3,578 Posts
It's odd that a bunch of the talent signed for ROH aren't even on this card. Why bother renewing Brian Cage then? Where's The Kingdom? Briscoes? Dalton Castle? Say what you want about main event Taven, but at least he's a name to anyone left following ROH...for better or worse. Just keep the belt off him and he's fine, similar to Justin Credible.

Here's the card with the show only a few days away:

ROH World Championship: Chris Jericho (c) vs. Claudio Castagnoli
ROH World Television Championship: Samoa Joe (c) vs. Juice Robinson
ROH Women’s World Championship: Mercedes Martinez (c) vs. Athena
ROH Pure Championship: Daniel Garcia (c) vs. Wheeler Yuta
Swerve In Our Glory (Keith Lee & Swerve Strickland) vs. Shane Taylor and JD Griffey

If I'm Khan I'm throwing Takeshita vs Bandido on here for some last minute eyeballs.
The Embassy is facing Dalton Castle and the boys for the 6 man Titles. I agree about the Kingdom and Briscoes though.

· Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
ROH World Championship: Chris Jericho (c) vs. Claudio Castagnoli
ROH World Tag Team Championship: FTR (c) vs. The Briscoes
ROH World Television Championship: Samoa Joe (c) vs. Juice Robinson
ROH Women’s World Championship: Mercedes Martinez (c) vs. Athena
ROH Pure Championship: Daniel Garcia (c) vs. Wheeler Yuta
ROH World Six Man Tag Team Championship : Dalton Castle & The Boys (c) vs The Embassy (Brian Cage & Gates of Agony)
Swerve In Our Glory (Keith Lee & Swerve Strickland) vs. Shane Taylor and JD Griffey
Updated.

· Registered
27,586 Posts
Is there an official thread yet?

can there be? Can this be it?

So, here is the card as I have it

Dalton & da bois v Gates of Cage for Trios titles

Joe v Juice for TV title

Claudio v Jericho for World Title

YOOTS v Garcia for Pure Title

Merc v Athena for Women's title

FTR v Briscoes III - dog collar title match

did I miss any? here are graphics! discuss!

· Registered
979 Posts
This card looks great on paper. I imagine their might be a couple matches added on social media or Rampage later this week. For me FTR vs The Briscoes III is going to be the match of the night. I'd buy it for that match alone.

Tony mentioned on the media call that Juice could win and take the title back to NJPW and defend it there. While I don't see that happening, I actually wish they had done that with Suzuki earlier this year when he won the title. Either way, I wish they would let someone do this because I think it would help accomplish several goals.

1. It would tell us, the viewer, that when outside talent show up they actually have a shot at winning.
2. It would be a great PR move from AEW to their partners who have allowed FTR to use their titles for months and show that AEW will return the favor.
3. Whoever the champion is, you could show video of them defending AEW titles in other countries.
4. It would reduce the oversaturation of titles on AEW television.

· Registered
*coin drop*
15,245 Posts
Briscoes vs. FTR III has sold me, a real buzzer-beating addition by Tony Khan. If it maintains the quality of matches one and two, this will be one of the best tag team trilogies in pro wrestling history. I want the Briscoes to win here as if they can't be on AEW TV (which is SO dumb and hypocritical), they should be the aces of the ROH tag division.

With seven matches announced, I'd hope he adds something with the luchadores. That was one of the best features of pre-hiatus ROH, a heavy lucha presence, but none are on this card so far.

· Registered
18,779 Posts
Briscoes vs. FTR III has sold me, a real buzzer-beating addition by Tony Khan. If it maintains the quality of matches one and two, this will be one of the best tag team trilogies in pro wrestling history. I want the Briscoes to win here as if they can't be on AEW TV (which is SO dumb and hypocritical), they should be the aces of the ROH tag division.

With seven matches announced, I'd hope he adds something with the luchadores. That was one of the best features of pre-hiatus ROH, a heavy lucha presence, but none are on this card so far.
Weird that Bandido doesn't have a match

· Registered
27,586 Posts

i need the Bucks to make an appearance to setup Briscoes (champs) v Bucks at a future date

i’ve never seen them face off

· Registered
4,696 Posts
Shame it's far too late to phase out the AEW branding and to just call themselves ROH. Better name and aesthetics.

So they are just going to rely on FTR and Briscoes to make ROH PPVs interesting forever?
I really wish Khan would let someone else book ROH. If it has to exist that's one way to make it interesting. I'd love to see Dustin Rhodes get a shot.

Still can't believe he didn't scoop up Gabe either. I'm not the biggest fan of his, but that seemed like a no brainer signing.

· Registered
—lights out—
696 Posts

Taylor/Swerve: I’d stopped watching ROH prior to this storyline. Going in blind, thinking it’ll be okay.
Six-Man Tag Titles: I expect a fun match to get the crowd up and lively.
Garcia/Yuta: This match will undoubtedly… [snores]
Joe/Juice: Expecting a dud, hoping for them to prove me wrong. They need to go hard-hitting to make it work.
Mercedes/Athena: Looking forward to this one the most, by far. Anticipating a very snug, intense matchup.
Jericho/Claudio: Zero interest. But Claudio needs to win to bring back any semblance of value back to the title.
FTR/Briscoes: I really, really dislike Dog Collar matches. It won’t be easy for them to win me over, here. But considering the teams involved, I’ll refrain from being dismissive. And it better be the main event.

Saying this card is hit and miss for me is an understatement. And $40 is a lot to ask, so I’ll just see how I’m feeling closer to start time… which is oddly 4PM Eastern I just noticed.

Someone sell me.

Any chance of getting the updated card in the OP?

· Registered
*coin drop*
15,245 Posts
Tag title match poster:

Swerve gets swerved and Lee (re)joins with Taylor and Griffey. Lee is too husky to work singles matches and Strickland needs to be a singles star with a rocket on his back.
If that was to happen, I expect Keith would be moved to ROH if they are getting TV, because I don't see STP getting full AEW deals.

· Registered
27,586 Posts
Damn bro, they have tons of matches together. And most are good to amazing. You want to check one out? or a few, i can give you a quick list.
no no - I need it fresh :D

when i see my first current one, I will take you up on the offer to see some of the historic ones

41 - 60 of 327 Posts