Wrestling Forum banner

Ring of Jericho : Final Battle *The Ocho Edition* Discussion Thread

15K views 326 replies 51 participants last post by  Geeee 
#1 ·

Likely to be featuring Ring of Jericho Champions such as "The Ocho" Chris Jericho, Samoa Joe, Daniel Garcia, 7 Star FTR, Mercedes Martinez and Dalton Castle & The Boys.

See less See more
#2 ·
This has a very early start time which is good for UK.

Hard to predict a card right now. Jericho will keep the ROH Title until then for sure, but they're burning through a lot of his opponents so maybe a big name three-way match.

A bit of fantasy booking.

8. Chris Jericho (c) vs. Bryan Danielson vs. Claudio Castagnoli for the ROH World Title
7. Samoa Joe (c) vs. Brian Cage for the ROH TV Title
6. FTR (c) vs. Motor City Machine Guns for the ROH Tag Team Title
5. Daniel Garcia (c) vs. Davey Richards for the ROH Pure Title
4. Mercedes Martinez (c) vs. Willow Nightingale for the ROH Women's Title
3. The Briscoes vs. OGK (#1 contender match)
2. Dalton Castle & The Boys (c) vs. Sammy Guevara & 2point0 for the ROH Six Man Tag Title
1. Bandido vs. Dragon Lee

Zero Hour:

4. Wheeler Yuta vs. Nick Wayne
3. Alex Zayne & Blake Christian vs. Toa Liona & Kaun
2. Trish Adora vs. Serena Deeb
1. JD Drake & Anthony Henry vs. Tony Deppen & Adam Priest

Reactions: Scuba Steve
#3 ·
With Joe getting featured on the poster and it being early still... fantasy booking the main card :

ROH World Title (Champion VS Champion)
Samoa Joe VS Chris Jericho

ROH Tag Team Titles
FTR VS MCMG

ROH Pure Title
Daniel Garcia VS Lee Moriarty

ROH Six Man Titles
Dalton Castle & The Boys VS Lethal, Dutt and Singh

ROH Women's Title
Mercedes Martinez VS Willow Nightingale

Brian Cage's Man VS Machine Open Challenge
Brian Cage VS Mance Warner

Gates of Agony VS The Briscoes

The Kingdom VS Blake Christian & Alex Zayne

Dragon Lee VS Tony Deppen

#4 ·
I was trying to figure out why the show is so early and the only thing I came up with is that the World Cup Quarter Finals are on Dec 10th. However, those games will be over by 4 pm (EST) that day. If they do have a TV/streaming deal coming, maybe they were planning to film one or two episodes later in the day after the PPV. That is my wild speculation though.

Card prediction:
FTR vs The Kingdom vs Claudio/Yuta

Briscoes vs Aussie Open - They have a match this weekend for the HOG titles and could run it back

Brian Cage vs Samoa Joe - ROH TV Title. A lot of this could depend on what Joe and Wardlow do at Full Gear, but I think Cage wins the title here.

Mercedes Martinez vs Penelope Ford vs Willow - ROH Women's World Title match - I don't think it is a coincidence that Ford has had more singles matches since returning from injury. Also, I expect Willow to win the title here. Rampage this Friday could set this in motion.

Chris Jericho vs Bryan Danielson - ROH World Title match. After the match Bryan Danielson is attacked by The Kingdom. They hold Bryan up to reveal his next ROH opponent is....Adam Cole. This leads to Cole super kicking Bryan to end the show.

#5 ·
#6 ·
Since we know El Hijo Del Vikingo is coming to the US very soon...

... would be cool if they could add a special attraction match here and get El Hijo Del Vikingo to work this show. Maybe a triple threat with Bandido and Fenix for a spotty fun time ?

#10 ·
Here's the first ticket info for Final Battle from WrestleTix. A good start with no card.

Tickets went on sale a couple of days ago and range from $25 to $90. All of the expensive floor seats appear to have sold already.

AEW: Ring of Honor Presents Final Battle 12/10/22
SAT DEC 10, 2022 – 2:00 PM
College Park Center, Arlington TX

Available Tickets => 1,000
Current Setup/Capacity => 2,505
Tickets Distributed => 1,505

Reactions: DammitChrist
#11 ·
Seems like Joe vs Wardlow is probably likely coming out of Full Gear, probably with Hobbs taking TNT Title. What does Jericho do?

I'm going to call Nigel McGuinness vs Chris Jericho at Final Battle. Nigel news has been seemingly non-existent. No way Khan didn't reach out to him for RoH reboot. Nigel wins the title and vacates it saying it's about hungry talent (young lions looking for their opportunity or old lions looking for one last chance), not the old guard or old names from the past that Jericho has been trotting out, Nigel himself included. He's announced as RoH Commissioner and first act is to announce RoH Title Tournament where the only qualification is you cannot have held a "world" title in WWE, AEW, RoH or internationally.

#13 ·
Athena getting the heel shine on Rampage solidifies for me that she is taking the title from Martinez. It also give me hope that she will be the one to drop the title to Willow. There is such a good story to be told about Willow's rise. Granted, there needs to be weekly tv to tell it properly.

#14 ·
Post Full Gear predictions for Final Battle:

World Championship: Jericho vs Danielson - If Danielson loses he can never wrestle in ROH again.

Pure Championship: Garcia vs Claudio

Women Championship: Martinez vs Athena

Tag Titles: FTR vs Gunn's

Tag Title #1 contenders: Briscoes vs The Kingdom

Trios Title: Dalton Castle/Boys vs Cage/Gates of Agony

Winner takes all (ROH TV and TNT titles): Samoa Joe vs Wardlow

Appearance by Nigel McGuiness.

#15 ·
Gresham wrestled Mike Bailey in another good match at GCW's show last night. I wonder if that situation can be sorted, as a report said the bridge hadn't been entirely burnt. Honestly, he is one of those like Andrade who needs to accept his lot rather than expecting to be placed at the very top.

Gresham would be a strong ROH-exclusive addition and I'd place him in the Pure division rather than the World Title scene. They need some remnants of pre-hiatus ROH in prominent positions to avoid it just being AEW Jr. (even if the AEW guys did work ROH in the past).

#16 ·
World Championship: Jericho vs Jay Lethal vs Darby Allin

Pure Championship: Garcia vs Bandido

Women Championship: Martinez vs Athena

Tag Titles: FTR w/Shawn Spears vs Gunn Club w/Stokely

Trios Title: Dalton Castle/Boys vs JAS (Hager and 2.0)

TV Title: Samoa Joe vs Sammy Guevara w/Tay

#17 ·
Gunn Club winning RoH titles with maybe outside help from FTR's NJPW WrestleKingdom opponents would be okay. Gunns hamming it up as RoH tag champs until Dem Boys walk out to confront them would be fun. Gunns make Briscoes run a gauntlet to earn title shot since they lost to FTR three times, whereas Gunns beat them first time. Stretches out Gunns having titles and being smarmy chickenshit heels while giving Briscoes a path of destruction until the next RoH PPV.

#18 ·
I had completely forgotten that there was an ROH forum.

Mercedes vs Athena is the match I want to see. Two SHIMMER alums that I’ve followed for several years who have the potential for a great match.

I’m not really seeing the rest of the card as anything but just kind of ‘there’. It’ll take a lot to get me interested in this PPV, as opposed to the last couple.

#22 ·
Claudio vs. Jericho and FTR vs. Gunns (unless they get this done in AEW before) seem set so far with Athena vs. Mercedes to follow. Tbh it looks like a mid-level Dynamite card and less ROH in spirit than previous PPVs in the AEW era. Not something I'd be quick to hand over money for.

I'd like to see the Briscoes get a big match, get the OGK on the card (since AEW has barely used them so far), do some cool lucha match (Bandido/Dragon Lee vs. Rush/???, finally following up on Rush betraying his brother?), and have Garcia defend the Pure Title against someone with a ROH history like Gresham, Doug Williams, Fred Yehi or Davey Richards. And find an interesting babyface opponent for Samoa Joe if he's still TV champ by then, possibly someone from NJPW, DDT, AAA or NOAH.

Maybe switch the six-man belts from Dalton & The Boys to The Embassy too because god knows they need something after being made to look like jobbers vs. WarJoe/FTR.

Reactions: ROHBot
#25 ·
So we're looking at...

ROH WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP
“The Ocho” Chris Jericho -c- vs. Claudio Castagnoli
- Confirmed

ROH WOMEN’S CHAMPIONSHIP
Mercedes Martinez -c- vs. Athena
- They set it up on Dark to the excitement of literally no one.

ROH TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP
FTR -c- vs. The Gunn Club
- They've been pushing these two teams against each other and FTR has to get on this card, so why not?

Those are guarantees I'd say given how everything is going. Yeah...not great.

Now, to spice up the card a little more, I'd add these.

ROH PURE CHAMPIONSHIP
Daniel Garcia -c- vs. Brian Danielson
- I mean they put so much story into Daniel Garcia, I'd seem weird if they didn't do this match, right?

ROH SIX MAN TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP
Dalton Castle and The Boys -c- vs. The Elite
- Get The Elite on the card, and have them win the Six Man Tag Titles, leading to the end of the Best of 7 for the Trios Titles to be a unification match.

ROH TELEVISION & AEW TNT CHAMPIONSHIP
Samoa Joe -c- vs. Wardlow
- Let the two hoss' battle for both belts, officially unify both belts and be done with it.

FOUR CORNERS TRIOS QUALIFYING MATCH
The Embassy vs. The Kingdom vs. Jay Lethal, Satnam Singh, and Sonjay Dutt vs. The Briscoes/Colt Cabana
- Fuck it. Just throw bodies in there and get people to pop for spots and the talents in there. Winning team gets a Trios Title shot at the winners of the best of 7.

#30 ·
ROH's best ever buyrate was 36,100 (27,000 streaming, 9,100 traditional) for Death Before Dishonor 2022 with FTR vs. Briscoes II, so he'd probably have to buy the PPV 65,000 times himself to reach that number.

The other AEW-era ROH PPV, Supercard of Honor, did 19,200 buys (15,500 streaming, 3,700 traditional).

From 2009~2013, their highest iPPV buyrate was 2,100 for Best in the World 2011 so there's not exactly a high benchmark (though I can't find any data on the modern PPVs including the Elite era, probably because of HonorClub).

I've bought the last two ROH PPVs and even though I have enough credits on FITE for a free PPV, I'm considering not buying this one and saving those credits for Revolution 2023.

It's looking like an episode of Dynamite so far. If they do something interesting with the Briscoes, luchadores, and Pure Title, I may change my plans though. A ROH show needs to do something interesting with ROH staples or else it isn't really a ROH show. The last two PPVs had enough ROH elements to sell me.

#31 ·
Athena vs. Mercedes is official. Athena will take the belt I'm pretty sure.

Getting serious ECW December to Dismember 2006 vibes from the card so far. Obviously won't be wretchedly bad like that was, the comparison being that the show felt nothing like ECW and this feels nothing like ROH.

I've argued on here that the last two PPVs did have plenty of ROH features to them, but this one doesn't... yet.

TK could try booking Vikingo for this show since he's heading to America for the first time. GCW are billing his 12/16 appearance for them as his U.S. debut but TK has the AAA relationship to cut in front of GCW.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.