Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This guy was in storylines with big names in 2000-2001 like Stone Cold, The Rock, Triple H, etc. He was involve in the six man hell in a cell match. All that came to an end in 2002 when he teamed up with Scotty 2 Hotty.

·
Registered
5,659 Posts
he was with Scotty 2 hotty first in Too Cool, so that's not really a comedown as they were HUGELY over. As a face he could have been an interim Smackdown champ during the brand split, but as a main eventer back then on every show.. No. Especially not as a heel.

·
Premium Member
10,169 Posts
Unfortunately for him he was surrounded at the time by some of the greats. In today's environment, with today's roster, I definitely think he would have had a longer lasting main event role and probably a world title to his name.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
I don't think so, today the "look" seems to matter way too much and let's face it, Rikishi look didn't screamed main eventer despite the talent that, I agree, He had

·
Registered
692 Posts
Got bigger pops than Cena or anyone today could ever wish for

·
Lucy Snorebush
2,073 Posts
Rikishi was a main eventer, it was just short lived. He handled himself well with the heel turn (not including the famous "I did it for the Rock"). He pulled off heat and was always a fantastic big man in the ring, his performance in the Hell in a Cell at Armageddon 2000 was brilliant.

·
Banned
1,502 Posts
Considering he wore a thong in the ring which is absolutely fucking silly and he did a great job in late 2000 of getting over, I think he could have been had the Invasion not happened, he was decent.

·
Banned
12,539 Posts
I loved Rikishi. I thought he was good in the ring (I loved the way he sold the clothesline when he would spin in the air), I always thought he gave his best in the ring and was over as hell, I still remember Royal Rumble 2000 and the ovations the crowd were giving him!

I think that turning him heel was the worst move the WWE could of done and I think that was really it for him. But like some people have said the Attitude Era had such high calibre talent in the main event that it was hard to fit him in.

·
Premium Member
43,588 Posts
The heel turn when he was revealed as the one that ran over Stone Cold should have been a big run for him. It was a racism based storyline that was actually well done & not just an excuse for cheap heat, and Rikishi played the role well. Him being revealed as the guy was actually a bit of a shock, and I was amazed at how well they handled it in the first few weeks.

Problem? Well Austin basically squashed him, Rock beat him a 100 times, Taker beat him a 100 times. The dude just couldn't win a damn match, and that's not a good way to build a top heel. And then when it was revealed that Triple H was the mastermind behind the whole thing, that just took the wind out of Rikishi's sails. So yeah, the guy that wanted to get rid of the white superstar to help his samoan people was taking orders from the white guy who was already the WWF Champion the night Austin got run over. Yeah, whatever.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Rikishi was a main eventer, it was just short lived. He handled himself well with the heel turn (not including the famous "I did it for the Rock"). He pulled off heat and was always a fantastic big man in the ring, his performance in the Hell in a Cell at Armageddon 2000 was brilliant.

·
The Cornerstone Of The Corner Store
3,164 Posts
Rikishi was always cool I thought, but he thinks he's better then he really is (that's definitely the impression I got from his shoot interview). He also looked like he gave more about money then about the wrestling bussines.

OT: While he was pretty good in the ring I dont think he could've become a permanent main eventer. Sure he was surrounded by big names in 2000/2001 but I think if he was in his prime in 2011 he also wouldnt be a main eventer.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts