Wrestling Forum banner

41 - 60 of 72 Posts

·
it's a tarp!
5,267 Posts
Test was pushed when he was supposed to marry Stephanie in 2000. That ended fast. I remember a 4 vs 4 on Raw or Smackdown where Test was on the team of faces but was out of the match because of a broken nose. Late in the match he came in and helped his team win.
Didn't Test get punished because he wanted to start a union.

·
Registered
21,618 Posts
Edge. I just couldn't buy it. He was a tag guy who was never even in the best team and then he split and the lesser guy Christian kept getting the upper hand on him. It was only watching the recent documentary about his return that I truly started to appreciate him

·
SmarkSlammer
100 Posts
Sheamus winning the WWE title at TLC 2009. The guy was feuding with Goldust in ECW one minute and then on his first real feud on the main roster he's beating Cena for the title. So random.

·
SmarkSlammer
100 Posts
Edge. I just couldn't buy it. He was a tag guy who was never even in the best team and then he split and the lesser guy Christian kept getting the upper hand on him. It was only watching the recent documentary about his return that I truly started to appreciate him
Having 5'5 Rey Mysterio win the top title and hold it for so long was ridiculous.
I mean he lost a ton while champ so it's not like it was dominant. He was losing matches to Finlay while top champ for crying out loud. It was a clear half hearted push

·
Registered
38 Posts
JBL was amazing and so underated I know loads of people who didn't even know it was Bradshaw a true great transformation who knew how to get under people's skin

·
Registered
263 Posts
Hope it's ok to bump this, but I'm rewatching WWE (started in 1996, now up to just after Mania 2000) and Rikishi is booked very strong....but it's believable. I actually buy him being an upper mid carder. Not only is he in even matches with HHH, Big Show, and KOing Benoit, but the fans are totally with him, believing in what they are seeing.

I think the heel turn may have been more of an issue than the actual placement on the card? Granted, where I am atm there is no Austin or Undertaker so he may be unnaturally high where I am watching now.

·
Likes wrestling....
8,100 Posts
Justin Credible was on top during ECWs most successful era?.
Wait....really? I find that hard to believe, not saying you might not be right.

But maybe that's because Justin was on top at their "market peek", their other main event stars had left for other organizations before their tv contracts expired? I just remember associating Justin with the downward spiral as it happened. I remember that's when I quit watching for sure.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Wait....really? I find that hard to believe, not saying you might not be right.

But maybe that's because Justin was on top at their "market peek", their other main event stars had left for other organizations before their tv contracts expired? I just remember associating Justin with the downward spiral as it happened. I remember that's when I quit watching for sure.
In the 10 highest attendances in ECW history, Credible headlined 5 of them, which is more than anyone else.

·
Likes wrestling....
8,100 Posts
In the 10 highest attendances in ECW history, Credible headlined 5 of them, which is more than anyone else.
However that's not a real good barometer for ECW, considering they did not start PPV until 97 a good two years into their best days from my understanding,

ECW PPV's began when they were at the top of their curve. Their foray into PPV was one of the starts of the end.

I watched every week but I am not an ECW authority. But even as a weekly watcher I understood Justin Incredible winning the belt was a backward step. He was a good heel but not a classic ECW heel.

@Kowalski's Killer would love for someone who was there weigh in, Killer, "Justin Credible the top star in the ECW top period" please comment.

·
Registered
9,913 Posts
Jinder Mahal and Lord Tensai come to mind...
Tensai is a good shout. Honestly, any time they have tried with Albert it has been a pretty big bust. I was never on-board the A-Train, despite quite a few people turning the corner on him. I'm sure he's a great guy and all, and he's done really well for himself, but I've never been into him. Although I may have liked it if Albert & Justin Credible split off from X-Pac as "Aldo & Baldo."

It's hard on him because I don't think he did a bad job but Jinder going from jobber to suddenly being able to hang in there with Randy Orton and Nakamura with no build or explanation why was too much to suspend my disbelief.

I couldn't quite buy Kurt Angle's big babyface push in 2001, he went from cowardly and corny into Stone Cold Steve Austin V2. Kurt as a babyface in 2003 was great and much more natural.
Kurt Angle is a great shout. I love Kurt, but he never felt on the level of other stars, despite being so, so good. And his babyface run never sat well with me. Honestly, I think after he lost the WWF Title, he needed to evolve his look a bit. Move away from the Americana singlets.

How was the Millennium man Sid Vicious a bad choice? If anything it was the right choice and they should have pushed him more.

Vampiro was one of the most popular guys out of the new blood, so I'd disagree that they made the wrong choice pushing him, they should have pushed him further after his feud with Sting, could have easily taken Booker T's spot. Mike Awesome didn't get pushed enough either, he won a battle royal on Thunder and again at the millennium final in Germany, but it didn't go anywhere.

Justin Credible was on top during ECWs most successful era. So wasn't a bad choice at all, no matter how much of a douche his character came across as. Steve Corino's King of Old school was pure gold. Did you know when he joined WCW in 2001, he was set to feud with Flair and JJ, until it folded.
I love ya, flock, but I disagree with just about everything here.

How could Sid be the Millennium Man when he had been seen on national TV since 1989? This is including in the main event of WrestleMania.

Vampiro was the shits.

Justin Credible is remembered as one of the nadirs of the ECW World Title. This is where a lot of people saw the writing on the wall. This just so happens to correlate with ECW trying to expand. If it had been Raven in that spot at that time, they would have done even better. Credible is not the cause for all that was going on, haha.

This is a very interesting one. I agree that I don’t get why he didn’t resonate more than he did... like you said he had the look and could perform respectably in the ring. I thought his matches were fun at least. The charisma is there... just doesn’t make sense that it didn’t get slightly better results.

I for the record didn’t mind they pushed him... looking at the summer of 1999 roster, I think billy Gunn as the KOTR winner made perfect sense. Even in hindsight I think it’s the choice to make.

Gotta give wwe credit though... when it didn’t advance with the audience, they backed off... they didn’t try and push him TOO far onto anyone as 1999 went forward.
I actually have a confession to make: I was a fan of Billy Gunn when I first started watching. That being said, he didn't have the tools. He had the illusion of them enough that they tried, and tried, and tried to push him. More tries than people remember. A lot of the time he got in the way of them himself. The Rock didn't even want to work with him, and The Rock was notoriously open to doing just about anything. The guy put over Mark Henry like a month before he won the WWF Title.

Gunn worked in the tag team setting. He'll be remembered very fondly for The New Age Outlaws and Billy & Gunn. And that time Vince McMahon called him and Big Show "Double Trouble Crap on a Stick." But as a singles guy, he just could never deliver the goods. And boy did they try.

Did Rikishi ever beat a big name wrestler during his heel run? Did he ever beat the Rock, Austin, Angle, Undertaker, HHH or even just Kane? Even in a tag match did he beat any of those guys?
The push was dead from the start. People didn't want to cheer the fun, fat dancing guy. It was the wrong tone and took away everything people loved about the guy. Some acts you just shouldn't turn. Being a heel isn't just about scowling and beating up good guys. It's about whether or not people are going to buy a ticket to see you get your ass kicked. Rikishi's ultimate value was being a guy in the middle or near the top that made shows feel a lot of fun. He would get a hot tag, do some pretty cool stuff for a fat guy, then rub his ass in people's faces. He could have been one of the final four in the 2001 Royal Rumble (instead of Billy Gunn) as a babyface. He could have even gotten the Kane run in that match. He could have been an actual deal heading into WrestleMania 17, but his career was FLAT by that point.

There's a reason people consider this one of the worst heel turns of all-time.

Hope it's ok to bump this, but I'm rewatching WWE (started in 1996, now up to just after Mania 2000) and Rikishi is booked very strong....but it's believable. I actually buy him being an upper mid carder. Not only is he in even matches with HHH, Big Show, and KOing Benoit, but the fans are totally with him, believing in what they are seeing.

I think the heel turn may have been more of an issue than the actual placement on the card? Granted, where I am atm there is no Austin or Undertaker so he may be unnaturally high where I am watching now.
His placement on the card, possibly. He never gave the impression of a tippy-top guy. Certainly not the ace. But it was more taking something people loved in an unabashed and wholesome sort of way, and just turning it completely on its head. It was like people having a lot of fun at a party and then suddenly someone turns off the music and starts reading their darkest poetry. It was a mood-killer. Emotionally, people just didn't want to boo Rikishi at that point in time. You'd have a better chance of pushing him as a main event babyface at that point.

I've honestly never given this much thought to Rikishi, but it's weird to think about how prominent he was in 2000, to how absent he was from 2001, and what could have been. He could have had a proper feud with Chris Benoit, which could have been surprisingly fun (go back and watch how Rikishi took that German suplex in the 10-man tag from Raw in February 2000). Hell, he could have been a good shout for IC Champion again. You could have done more with Kurt Angle and Triple H. I think Too Cool were getting a little past it, but you could have brought Haku back to be a partner of Rikishi's, and they could have done something with Edge & Christian. He could have been a darkhorse pick to take the 2001 King of the Ring.

I'm not saying he would have stuck as a top main event face, but he may not have been as offensive as everyone might think. He was SUPER over.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I've honestly never given this much thought to Rikishi, but it's weird to think about how prominent he was in 2000, to how absent he was from 2001, and what could have been. He could have had a proper feud with Chris Benoit, which could have been surprisingly fun (go back and watch how Rikishi took that German suplex in the 10-man tag from Raw in February 2000). Hell, he could have been a good shout for IC Champion again. You could have done more with Kurt Angle and Triple H. I think Too Cool were getting a little past it, but you could have brought Haku back to be a partner of Rikishi's, and they could have done something with Edge & Christian. He could have been a darkhorse pick to take the 2001 King of the Ring.

I'm not saying he would have stuck as a top main event face, but he may not have been as offensive as everyone might think. He was SUPER over.
yeah i think the heel turn hurt that but also the injury killed his momentum iirc? The only thing I can recall from his post heel turn is ending the kiss my ass club and later being in a tag with Scotty 2 hotty for a while. Guess I'll find out soon.

He has said in a shoot that he turned heel because it was his only chance to work in the (semi) main event picture and he knew the chance meant he'd work with Rock and Austin, which were pay days he never would have had if he stayed face. Maybe that was short term gain but long term pain? Jericho also turned heel for that exact same reason too; his own words are that he knew he could never overcome Rock and Austin on the babyface side of the card.

Nevertheless, i'm enjoying Rikishi atm. He's probably the 2nd most over baby face and looks worthy of that position as of the Smackdown I am on atm (directly after WM 16).

·
Registered
9,913 Posts
They would have killed for a really over babyface just a few months later, haha. Austin turned heel, Rock left to film, Triple H was too insecure about it and Taker & Kane were played out.

·
rasslin
3,342 Posts
Jack Swagger, Kofi Kingston, Sheamus, Jinder, Balor, Strowman, Khali, Sheamus and Bryans title runs before he feuded with the authority.

Some of these guys are pretty good and even really good but their title runs just seemed too soon or too late.

·
Registered
9,913 Posts
It's kind of frustrating to have so many former champions running around. Starting from 1997, you had Bret Hart, Sycho Sid, The Undertaker, Shawn Michaels, Steve Austin, Kane, The Rock, Mankind, Triple H, Vince McMahon, Big Show and Kurt Angle before you get to the end of the Attitude era. You can maybe count Chris Jericho's phantom win if you want to. That's 12, maybe 13 guys, and Vince was basically an angle. By the time you get to the end of the Attitude era, Bret, Sid, Shawn and Mick are gone.

Here are the wrestlers counted by the WWE as former "World Champions" on the roster today:

• Aleister Black
  • Andrade
  • Big Show
  • Bobby Lashley
  • Brock Lesnar
  • Dolph Ziggler
  • Drew McIntyre
  • Jinder Mahal
  • Kevin Owens
  • Randy Orton
  • Rey Mysterio
  • Seth Rollins
That's 12 right there on Raw.

• AJ Styles
  • Braun Strowman
  • Bray Wyatt
  • Daniel Bryan
  • Jeff Hardy
  • Kofi Kingston
  • The Miz
  • Roman Reigns
  • Sheamus
9 on SmackDown. 21 World Champions so far. If you want to count NXT.

• Adam Cole
  • Finn Balor
  • Johnny Gargano
  • Keith Lee
  • Tommaso Ciampa
A bit leaner on NXT with 5. 26 all up. It's just too many. That's more than you really need for a roster, haha.

·
Butter My Arse
11,758 Posts
Heidenreich being pushed as a new member of the LOD and even winning the tag titles with Animal, and then going on to feud with The Undertaker (or was that the other way round?). Either way he was pretty awful and his only redeeming achievement was getting laughs for bumming Michael Cole in a backstage segment.

41 - 60 of 72 Posts