Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now, I know Amish would like a lot of users to use IE to browse the forum.I usually browse with firefox to avoid the averts etc, but there was a reported post, so I followed the link from hotmail into the thread, it automatically opened into explorer and this happened.

Now don't give me "turn scripting off" bullshit. People don't do that, why should they go out of their way for one forum, people will be leaving because this makes the site un-usable. I'd really like to see adverts like this that invade the page gone from the forum.

·
Registered
5,935 Posts
Yeah the scripting this is BS, because you're gonna run into problems. I tried it before and no windows would open up when I clicked a link that was supposed to open a new window.

·
Banned
759 Posts
I agree, I'd love to log onto this site just once and not get hit with these adverts, also after I log out I always have to run Spybot to get rid of the adware and spyware on my puter. :rolleyes:

As for the scripting, you're right I'm not gonna turn it off just for this forum, besides who can remember to do that every single visit?

Yeah the scripting this is BS, because you're gonna run into problems. I tried it before and no windows would open up when I clicked a link that was supposed to open a new window.
Sometimes you can hold the Ctrl button as you click a link and it will open then, but again who wants to mess with all that BS? It would just be easier and a lot better if w/out having to do anything, we could log on minus the adverts. :agree:

·
Banned
1,972 Posts
How about people either get an ad blocking program or stfu? Don't like it, don't visit. Problem solved. Simple as that.

·
Banned
759 Posts
I have a blocker, and I use it. :D

I have no complaints, I nicely gave my opinion to this thread that was posted by, if I'm not mistaken, an admin.... :rolleyes:

I never once suggested they be removed, nor did I suggest they affect the forums negatively and may cause people to leave or not visit. :shocked:

Oh and for the record, I agree as well with Kaneanite that its not an overly large pop-up, and clicking close cures it...:)

I still think however that it would be nice to not have to. ;)

Now I shall STFU...:p

·
Banned
759 Posts
Kaneanite said:
Alright, K.
You got me there, hes a super mod, not an admin.
Thanks for correcting me. That was My Bad!!
At any rate, I thought it was hilarious when J.O.C. said STFU!!
I have a twisted sense of humor, and his blatant and blunt reply just struck me as funny, but since he didn't seem amused, I just decided to laugh alone, and agree to STFU. :D

christopheR. said:
No matter how fucking annoying the stupid ads are, they get the money and we get the ads. I'm not against anyone, I'm just saying whenever someone doesn't like it they get mad, abuse good members and tell people to leave.
Nicely said christopheR.
I agree the ads are annoying, but like you I realise that they are here for a reason, and not likely to go away anytime soon.
We all deal with them, but we don't have to like them, am I right?
I'm not against anyone here either, and I'm also not against anyone giving their opinion, I think everyone is entitled to that.
Some feel different apparently and get pissed when others state their opinions.
I also don't see any sense in anyone getting mad, or telling people to leave either, especially when they, I'm sure, don't like pop-ups any more than the rest do.
Thats why after I read J.O.C.'s reply, I laughed then agreed to STFU, no point in an argument ensuing over something as asinine as pop-up ads, and had I or another, replied to him in the same way he replied to us there would have been a helluva argument, and to me its not worth wasting my time over, so that left me 1 alternative, and thats to do just what I did, STFU, laugh, and just not argue about it. ;)

·
Don't rewrite the books, just rewrite the titles,
15,672 Posts
^^^I think you missed some spyware. It's made your font stay in italics permanently. It's a new type that's designed to hurt the readers' eyes, or to make them go on a slope, at best.

·
Banned
759 Posts
LOL...:lmao
Is this better by any chance??
It wasn't spyware, it was me using Italics...but then I'm sure you knew that, and your comment was a subtle hint that the Italics were hard to read...Right? ;)
If so, good deal, I got your hint and I hope this is easier on your peepers!!
Thanks for letting me know that it was hard on the eyes, I didn't even realize it was or I would have changed it sooner. :agree:

·
Premium Member
6,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Kaneanite said:
It's not that bad of a popup...geez. All you do is click close. It looks like it covers as much of the screen as any other popup would.
It spawns internally on the page, that's a major intrusion on forum viewing, if Amish etc wants people to not go to anti advert measures, he really needs to at least bombard us with popups that are easy to deal with. No, they don't cover a regular space of the page, they cover a huge amount of the page.

loz, BB did the usual dick reply, kudos. Can't say I expected anything else. Look, here's the basic theory.

We all know the more people who visit the more adverts are spawned and the more money Amish gets. If there are more invasive pop ups people don't like, they'll leave a lot sooner and not return to W-E. If there are more mild pop ups people will stand more of a chance of putting up with them and regularly return to W-E, making a LOT more money for Amish.

·
DOOMED
33,209 Posts
well i dont have a big problem with them as i have a blocker. the only ones that piss me off are the ones with sound! there was one that kept popping onto the page last night and it had all these robot sounds that pissed the hell out of me.

·
Don't rewrite the books, just rewrite the titles,
15,672 Posts
I use Crazy Browser for the forums, with scripting off (I don't use the WYSIWYG editor or anything, so it doesn't bother me) and Firefox for everything else.

It's only by chance that I have both programs and choose to use them this way. I think that having to download any program, including a pop-up/ad blocker, in order to view the site should be unnecessary. The other side of that is that it's expensive to get, and maintain, something like Norton (and I'd hate for anyone to actively encourage law-breaking by suggesting some other means of getting it, mainly because that too wouldn't exactly be ethical, and that's ignoring the legality of the suggestion).

I appreciate that the site has to make money, partly for servers and web space etc, partly for its owner, but BVD's right - you can over-milk a cash cow.

·
Banned
9,035 Posts
BreakDownV1 said:
It spawns internally on the page, that's a major intrusion on forum viewing, if Amish etc wants people to not go to anti advert measures, he really needs to at least bombard us with popups that are easy to deal with. No, they don't cover a regular space of the page, they cover a huge amount of the page.
I know it "spawns" on the page itself, and not in a seperate window. I've had popups like that on other sites before. But still, it takes up the same amount of screen space as many popups, and they both have the same action of solving it. Click close on the popup. Wow. It's that hard!

I don't understand the big trouble that this one popup has caused you. It's really that difficult to deal with? I find that hard to believe.

·
Premium Member
6,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Kaneanite said:
I know it "spawns" on the page itself, and not in a seperate window.I've had popups like that on other sites before.
They are annoying and inconvenient. You have to look for the close mark which is usually, annoyingly, better tucked away than this advert. Why should people go out of their way even further than they are usually forced too, people will just leave.

Kaneanite said:
But still, it takes up the same amount of screen space as many popups, and they both have the same action of solving it. Click close on the popup. Wow. It's that hard!
Newbie comes onto W-E, he's got IE, he sees all the pages covered in this shit. Blocking Messages. He leaves. Less adverts making money, less active posters. This is a huge reason to get rid of invasive pop ups that make sounds or are internally on the page.

W-E hugely lacks regular posters and if people wonder why new users aren't sticking around, it's pretty obvious if you try to browse with IE.

I don't understand the big trouble that this one popup has caused you. It's really that difficult to deal with? I find that hard to believe.
Probably because you're not bothering to read what I've written. The point is these adverts degrade the experience of W-E for a lot of new users, past those of regular pop ups. It's money whoring, which is forcing people to switch to firefox, attain norton, or leave. When the forum is not acceptably accessable to users without a speciality set up I'd say that's gone too far. Why don't you try using W-E through IE for a day, a week, a month. See how you like it.

·
Banned
9,035 Posts
BreakDownV1 said:
Why don't you try using W-E through IE for a day, a week, a month. See how you like it.
Because I've got enough common sense to run a browser equipped with a pop up stopper. In this day and age, it's rare to come across someone who doesn't have the common sense to run a popup stopping program while surfing the internet. If these newbies are that naive to not know how to stop popups on the internet, then if they leave, I don't see much of a loss, and I doubt Amish would either. For ever 1 person that gets turned off by the popups, there are probably dozens and dozens who don't give a shit and put up with it, or either do something about the popups.

It seems every once in a while, someone on staff comes and bitches about the popups, or spyware, or whatever else, claiming it might be scaring off members. Doesn't look like it's affected anything yet....If it did, I'm sure Amish would do something then.

·
Premium Member
6,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Kaneanite said:
If these newbies are that naive to not know how to stop popups on the internet, then if they leave, I don't see much of a loss, and I doubt Amish would either.
Wrong, what do you think would happen without these newbies taking the pop up windows to keep a lil cash in his wallet. Without these, as you put it, naive newbies on the forum there is no money on W-E, because you and others, like me, are totally freeloading. The pop-up to newbie ratio is what this forum lives off. Without them there is no money. Without them there is no forum.

Kaneanite said:
For ever 1 person that gets turned off by the popups, there are probably dozens and dozens who don't give a shit and put up with it, or either do something about the popups.
When you're talking one in a dozen over 100,000 members, that's a lot of money gone.

Kaneanite said:
Doesn't look like it's affected anything yet....If it did, I'm sure Amish would do something then.
I'm sure if you bothered to check out W-E's competition and saw how many regular posters most other places have, you'd say differently. I never said this shit is the death of w-e yet and wouldn't be for a long time, it's just bad business and making the forum look like shit.

·
Banned
9,035 Posts
BreakDownV1 said:
it's just bad business and making the forum look like shit.
You're right. I guess we should get Amish to remove all popups and banner ads. Hey, maybe if we donate a few bucks his way once in a while, he wouldn't need the popups and banner ads. But then again, how many people here would honestly want to dish out a few bucks to keep this place going? Not many at all. So if you ask me, dealing with some popups isn't much to expect the newbs to put up with, if it means keeping this forum up and running.

·
Premium Member
6,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
When did I say anything against pop ups? Getting rid of a certain type of intrusize pop up is all that I'm suggesting, so I'm not sure where this attitude you've developed generalising me into swearing w-e off all ads when I just demonstrated to you the importance of them is coming from. Please, read what I say next time.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts