Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
First off, I like both. To answer the question, I like Ric Flair better. Both on the mic and in ring.

Ric Flair did rely on having the belt. Being champ was as much his gimmick as being the Nature Boy. Roddy didn't need anything to do his thing. He didn't even need a match. Roddy's Pit.

I can see why people would say Roddy. If the heel is suppose to piss off the crowd... he could do it. Flair's routine was to get beat up, escape with a win or DQ to keep the belt. So people were somewhat satisfied he got beat up, although not really because he won or kept the belt. Roddy, when he was on was great. I loved the voice cracking when he really got excited. Sometimes it felt too forced, but as I said, I really liked Roddy Piper. He is a legend and it seems he was under used. Mr. T??

I say Ric Flair simply because I enjoyed his promos more and matches as well. I like JCP and territory more than WWE. Hanging out with friends imitating Flair and others was fun. But we'd always laugh at some one acting like Flair. I am able to not allow Flair's recent constant reappearing hurt his image of what he was. Not saying others are, just that in their prime, I like Flair more.

·
Registered
14,593 Posts
Ric for me. These 2 are among the best heels ever.

·
★ Liverpool FC ★
2,460 Posts
Flair is a legend but Hot Rod is the one for me! The man is pure electricity.

·
Asuka
96,553 Posts
Flair by far. I HATED watching Piper. I hated his promos, it was nothing but incessant babbling, random thoughts that didn't have a point, he was annoying as hell, he wasn't funny, he wasn't entertaining, he was like a belligerent uncle that you have to shoe out the door 25 minutes into Christmas dinner. He was like the wrestling version of Robin Williams stand up routine except unlike Piper, Robin Williams actually did the incoherent random babbler gimmick well and made it entertaining, whereas Piper is what you're left with if you take that act and remove all the charm and humor from it.

In ring, it's not even close that it's Flair. I've never seen Piper do a single thing of note in the ring.

I'm so happy he never won the world title.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Flair was a better promo in his prime he was one of the best (later on not so much). To this day i never really got Piper's promos always thought he rambled and rarely made sense. In the ring it's Flair when he had a great dance partner but i think he suffered from the same problem as Piper on the mic but in the ring. Long match with little psychology or direction just for the sake of having long matches.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Flair was a better worker than Roddy, although Roddy could have his moments. Roddy was a lot more unpredictable and harder to pin down. He was a great seller though, great at psychology and very colorful.

Ric, well we've all seen what Ric Flair can do a million times, but what he has always done he's done it best. There are few wrestlers in history who just had the sheer look of craftiness and slickness, and ability to get an opponent to make a mistake then be capitalized on, than Ric Flair. And when he worked on a damaged limb, he worked on that baby all night. You see, it meant something to be hurt, because the ref might stop the match, and fans thinking a wrestler probably couldn't continue on was real to them meaning the kayfabe worked to its highest capacity.

You weren't going to always get lucky and upstage Ric Flair or he'd grind your nose into the pavement fro the world to see. That's a little more to my liking than seeing someone getting hit in the head with a coconut. I tend to lend more to Ric when this question is asked.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Flair by a large margin. I liked Piper, but mostly from '85-'87. When he came back from retirement a few years later, he wasn't the same. By the time he showed up in WCW, I felt his relevance was gone.

·
Banned
2,427 Posts
i gotta give the slight edge to flair because he even though he thrived as a heel i also found him to be a decent babyface. when he was feuding with nwo during the late 90's he would have some of those nitro crowds roaring. he delivered some legendary promo segments during that run.

piper on the other hand was a great heel but a fucking GOD AWFUL, CORNY babyface. he had a SLIGHT spark when he turned circa WM3 but after that he was a fuckin cornball.

could not STAND HIM when he came back to wcw.

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
Flair gets the nod from me.

But 2 of the best. I'm not sure the modern WWE machine could produce anything close to either of these gentlemen as much as they would love to...

1 - 20 of 32 Posts