Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
https://www.si.com/extra-mustard/2017/08/04/wwe-rey-mysterio-vince-mcmahon

Do not expect Rey Mysterio back in WWE.

After initially showing interest, WWE passed on the legendary luchador as Vince McMahon was not interested in working with Mysterio’s representation, specifically Konnan.

The rift between Konnan and McMahon dates back decades to when WWE invested thousands of dollars into the Max Moon character for Konnan, before he ultimately made the decision to continue main-eventing in Mexico. Konnan was recently welcomed backstage at a WWE event by Chris Jericho, but his appearance did not help mend any of the issues that exist between himself and the WWE office.

Mysterio is likely to receive an enticing offer from Global Force Wrestling. He would instantly become the company’s biggest star, as well as a fresh face, and could even replace the combustible Alberto El Patron on the payroll. A sticking point may be Mysterio’s desire to retain control of third-party bookings and to dictate his own schedule, but the positives far outweigh the negatives for a Mysterio-GFW pairing.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
They said he'll likely receive an offer, not that he's definitely coming to GFW.

I mean, it's looking pretty likely right now given the Konnan connection and that photo Rey took with Karen Jarrett, but it's not official yet. He could stay independent or jump to the NJPW/ROH/CMLL trio. He had a cup of coffee in CMLL and a one off in NJPW in the past, so it's possible.

·
Heroes For Hire
15,425 Posts
So just to be clear, when SI report something negative about GFW they're "full of shit & have no sources" & "shouldn't be covering wrestling", but when it's positive news this section is gung ho about it? Just pointing this out.

On topic, they should have went after Rey way harder than they did last year, by all accounts he was very interested. Thankfully he's kept his interest in tact, if GFW are serious about a Latin/Mexican top star, Rey is the guy, I'm literally nearing the point of "anyone but ADR (and that dark cloud magnet girlfriend of his)" fuck them both.

·
Registered
6,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
They said he'll likely receive an offer, not that he's definitely coming to GFW.

I mean, it's looking pretty likely right now given the Konnan connection and that photo Rey took with Karen Jarrett, but it's not official yet. He could stay independent or jump to the NJPW/ROH/CMLL trio. He had a cup of coffee in CMLL and a one off in NJPW in the past, so it's possible.
:booklel

@Son Goku Burakku - Where did I say that? I said it was awful journalism/he was full of shit for linking the Alberto incident to the Hardy saga. He obviously has sources as he talks to Reby.

·
Heroes For Hire
15,425 Posts
:booklel

@Son Goku Burakku - Where did I say that? I said it was awful journalism/he was full of shit for linking the Alberto incident to the Hardy saga. He obviously has sources as he talks to Reby.
I know we've had our issues, but I wasn't referring to you specifically, and that was stupid yeah @ ADR/Hardys, but people have literally said that in this section when SI news bits have been linked.

·
Registered
12,643 Posts
again in my opion if Rey comes in as typial rey it will be meh.The guys done the same deal since debuting in wwe.

He needs to reinvest himself again or completely go back to an old character from wcw. AKA if he goes to LAX which would be epic as heel rey.He needs to be unmasked and go as Ganster rey like in wcw filthy animal days.

Imagine rey in LAX with a mask. It should would not fit

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Can he be regular guy considering his age and surgeries or would he be more like a special attraction for bigger shows?

·
Registered
708 Posts
Can he be regular guy considering his age and surgeries or would he be more like a special attraction for bigger shows?
No but I don't think he has to be. If GFW uses him to put over their own talents then it should be fine.

What they cannot do is push him to the moon and make him the focus of the program.

·
Registered
230 Posts
If he does come in, I would love for him to be brought in by Alberto to fight against the LAX. Only for Rey to turn heel and join the LAX. Alberto becomes a darker character who cannot trust anyone. Starts to lose the plot and talking to himself and becomes more vicious. Not knowing when to stop and destroying wrestlers and everything backstage.

LAX would also become even stronger with Rey and Heel Rey would be fresh.

·
Registered
6,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Banned
2,548 Posts
Am I the only one who finds the funniest thing about this is how out of all the things Konnan has done, all the bridges he's burned, all the reputation about his attitude, and the reason Vince doesn't want to work with him is the fucking Max Moon gimmick.
This is a good point.

·
Banned
18,555 Posts
No word yet on where Rey Mysterio is headed but it won’t be Global Force Wrestling, according to PWInsider and The Wrestling Observer Newsletter. Rey had an offer from GFW after negotiations between the two sides but he opted not to take it.

We noted before that Rey was also in talks with WWE over the summer but those talks stopped as Vince McMahon did not want to work with Rey’s representation, mainly Konnan, among other reasons. It was also noted that while Rey and WWE were talking, the talks were said to be overblown in the first place as Rey was actually looking at signing with GFW because of the easier schedule and because it would allow him more freedom to do other projects. When word first got out about Rey talking with WWE, Dave Meltzer was told that it was actually GFW Rey was talking with, and that there was nothing significant to the WWE reports.

While his in-ring future with a major company is up in the air, Mysterio is said to be focused on training his son Dominick and preparing him for a pro wrestling career. Rey is also heavily involved with The Crash promotion in Mexico.

GFW wanted Rey to wrestle against Alberto El Patron at the November 5th Bound For Glory pay-per-view, according to The Observer. We’ve noted how Jeff Jarrett vs. Alberto El Patron was in the works for Bound For Glory but is likely off the books now that Jarrett is taking an indefinite leave of absence from GFW. The Observer notes that the storyline would have had Alberto blaming Jarrett for his recent GFW suspension. Jarrett vs. Alberto was to be teased until they pulled a big swerve on the night of the show and had Jarrett introduce Rey as Alberto’s opponent instead. When the talks with Rey fell through, plans changed back to Jarrett vs. Patron for Bound For Glory. There’s still no word yet on what Alberto will be doing at Bound For Glory, if anything at all.
Damn shame.

- Vic

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.