Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
HEADBANGA
22,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At BFG we had one of the stalest Ultimate X matches of all times. They had great talent in the ring but I realized what held them back from stealing the show: AGE. Most of these guys are in their 30's and aren't willing to risk themselves like they used to 6-7 years ago. TNA needs to hire 20something year old wrestlers who don't give a fuck and willing to do crazy shit to get themselves noticed. There's plenty of young talent out there that they can get to make this division look fresh again. What do you guys think?

·
Banned
8,267 Posts
I think the issue is these guys see themselves about the X-Division. Hardy, Joe and Aries clearly did not give a shit and Sabin didn't really either. Manik did his best but yeah.

I'd bring in 5-6 guys (Some with name value) who want to prove themselves. Greg Marasciulo would be good, Petey Williams would be good. Maybe a "biggish" WWE Cruiserweight guy such as Paul London and a couple of impressive independent wrestlers also.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Personally, 150 pounds skeletons jumping around, doing flips does nothing for me. Them doing crazy suicidal shit is even worse, and it makes the company look bush league like as if they don't give a shit about what the lives of their employees. Go watch CZW if you need your fix of small dudes doing moonsaults 50ft high, that's what I do when I personally need my fix.

·
Registered
167 Posts
They should've locked down Trent Baretta imo.

Also, I thought Jeff Hardy would win, then I thought we were gonna go a new direction with the X-Division. But I guess not.

·
HEADBANGA
22,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not saying to bring skinny guys doing moonsaults 50 foot of a balcony. I'm talking about young talent that's willing to innovate and do things that guys in the X-Division used to do. At one point the X-Division was TNA's selling point as providing an alternative product to the WWE. They need to achieve that once again.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Bring in Trent Barretta permanently (with a name change), the guy is so good, reminds me a bit of the Razor Ramon gimmick for some reason.

Jamin Olivencia from OVW would be a good addition to the XD imo.

Use XD guys they already have on their roster more often like Sabin, Perkins but Ion, Dutt, King and Spud as well.

·
Intoner
6,590 Posts
Kevin Steen.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I was watching an Ultimate X match between LAX and Triple X at BFG a few years back. The firts match stole the show. It was awesome. Sunday was a WWE version of ultimate X, nothing but ladders

·
Registered
9,917 Posts
The entire brand needs a complete revamp over haul

·
ѪѺѪ
1,234 Posts
Maybe a "biggish" WWE Cruiserweight guy such as Paul London.
London has stated numerous times he won't ever go back to TNA not even WWE. But speaking of him I wish they bring back Kendrick he was good in his last run and still could have some great matches with the guys they got. They should bring in more indy guys like Trent, Ricochet, Rich Swann, AR Fox even go after guys they had before like The Young Bucks, Petey Williams, Alex Shelley, Jay Lethal etc so many talented guys that could put on a hell of a X-Division match that are out there it's if TNA is willing to actually pay up and also fix relationships with past guys that left but I just don't see it happening anytime soon sadly with how they are going atm.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
TNA had these younger types, back when they were doing the triple threat matches. it was boring, hardly any of your viewers knew who the guys were. that's not good TV.
they're doing a better job now than they were over the last year plus. Hardy and Aries in the division help. I was hoping Manik would have won at BFG. it would have elevated him to win a match against those guys.

·
Registered
259 Posts
TNA first need to showcase more X-divison matches every week and sign more talent.

Make it NO LIMITS.
Sign guys from OVW, ROH, PWG Chikara etc. Guys like Olivencia, Barreta, Ricochet, Rubix, Dutt, Petey Williams, Jay Lethal and many other talented guys in the Indies that I don't know.
Also sign some 'bigger' guys like Samoa Joe such as Willie Mac! Who are big yet agile.
It will take the x-division to the next level instead of like some cruiserweight division.

Make the X-div. ON PAR with the WHC.
Have x-div mainevents on Impact and on PPVs like Destination X.

Scrap Option C! Yes scrap it. I feel it loses value of the title as it makes the title seem like some pawn they use to reach the whc instead of actually wanting to be the X-division champion.

Have more fueds within the X-divsion not just the X title fued.
-Give wrestlers PROMO and MIC TIME. Let them establish themselves as stars and into fueds. Make fans invest into them.
-Have X-division promo/video packages hyping the division with the man doing the voice over such as 'The X-division is the elite of pro wrestling' 'They are the best ATHLETES in Pro Wrestling' 'Its high flying, high octane, all action'
- Have promos packages like 'What is the X-Divsion? It is the ultimate 'wrestling' challenge. It is a test of speed and power, not just physically but also mentally. It is not just high flying it is anything goes. Xtraidinary, Xilirating, Xtreme! The X-Division is anything you want it to be!

- Bring back the WORLD X CUP. Have teams from all over the world Japan (NJPW/Wrestle-1), Mexico(AAA), India (Ring Ka King), Team GB, Team Canada.
Make it like a big event with matches on Impact with the finals at Destination X.

Also to freshen up the division and to add a NEW/IMPROVED IMAGE add a Stiff style to its matches with hard slaps and kicks. Like the Sabin vs Aries vs (Manik) match or AJ vs Joe Bfg series match.
Incorporate stiff Japanese style or mma style while keeping it highflying too.

Make the X-Divsion Champion as the best Pound For Pound wrestler in the WORLD.

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
TNA had these younger types, back when they were doing the triple threat matches. it was boring, hardly any of your viewers knew who the guys were. that's not good TV.
they're doing a better job now than they were over the last year plus. Hardy and Aries in the division help. I was hoping Manik would have won at BFG. it would have elevated him to win a match against those guys.
Flexibility in the division is just as important as face entertainment value, if not more so in the long run, which periodic injections of new talent would provide (as well as storylines but TNA sucks at midcard storylines). A division just isn't gonna survive on just a couple of talented guys. Some new guys will unfortunately be boring but so will having the same 2-3 guys duke it out non stop for 2-3 months.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Kota Ibushi would be the top guy I would try and sign and give him a Gary Heart type heel manager. They have a good base with AA, Sabin, Manik, and King.

I would use a more Japanese style like NOAH in its heyday, and allow them to main event. Let the matches play out almost PWG style but with more structure. Sign a blend of styles. High flyers, lucha's, technical, Japanese.

Play up the action and don't be afraid to give these guys managers. You could bring back the World X Cup and have some stables. Enough with the gimmick matches and have more high profile matches be one on one. Also drop option c and have it on the same level as WHC but also allow them to get and win tag titles and tv titles to strengthen their credibility like what WCW use to do.

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
Start with getting rid of option C, it makes the title look worthless on its own.
The only reason to be XDivision champ right now is option C, the XDivision title is an arcade ticket.

·
Registered
9,665 Posts
Give someone the title, have him run through everyone on the roster in competitive matches for 10-12 months. Build up a babyface to beat him.

TNA doesn't lack the talent, it's just clear they aren't focused on the X-Division. Perkins, Sabin, King are are all good performers. If you wanted to put veterans like Aries, Joe, Kazarian, Chavo and Daniels in it, you have that option. Trent Baretta didn't look bad in his two matches.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Kota Ibushi would be the top guy I would try and sign and give him a Gary Heart type heel manager.
Kota would be perfect, but he is insanely populair in Japan, he can work for any company he wants over there. And despite being under contract with DDT, NJPW wanted him so badly that DDT and NJPW worked out a deal that allows him to sign with both companies. So there is no way TNA could get him.
But there are plenty of other Junior Heavyweights in Japan in the smaller promotions that are more realistic to sign. But in the current financial situation i doubt TNA would be willing to invest in foreign talent.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
I don't mean don't bring in new talent at all. I mean you can't bring in multiple new guys and just throw them into matches and expect most of your viewers to care when they don't know who they are.
when was the last time someone debuted in the X division after being promoted with multiple videos and a storyline? maybe I've just forgotten if it has happened.
TNA has someone new in Ethan Carter. is he going to be used in the X division? seeing how he is Dixie's nephew in this storyline, maybe not. but imagine if TNA brought in someone new for the X division by doing it the same way. with videos promoting that wrestler before they even debut. give the viewers on TV a reason to want to watch.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts