Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What type of character would be required to bring back a feeling of the Attitude Era?

At least a feeling as close to it as possible, with the feeling seeping into the entire WWE product through that character's interactions and pushing?

In detail, what type of character and performer would that require and what would be the ways to go about it when it comes to that character? Also list a few examples.

·
Registered
5,659 Posts
Re: What type of character would be required to bring back a feeling of the Attitude

At least a feeling as close to it as possible, with the feeling seeping into the entire WWE product through that character's interactions and pushing?

In detail, what type of character and performer would that require and what would be the ways to go about it when it comes to that character? Also list a few examples.
The Attitude era has been, and it's gone. There wasn't one wrestler, or one group of wrestlers, or even one promotion that spawned it, it was the world in general and how people were.

We don't need an Attitude Era Part 2 because that was different and brand new, why recreate it? What would recreate it, sex and violence? People look back on it like it was the crowning moment in wrestling, those years were so much greater and all I think is that in hindsight, it looked great, but it still had a lot of crappy nonsense that was attempted today it would be shot down, instantly.

Take Owen hart when he became the Blue Blazer again, replace him with Danielson in the modern era, and the whole of the Internet fanboys would stuff their throats with their wanking socks.

People bring up the AE so often whilst not giving todays product a chance, or even the product in recent years a chance.

You cannot enjoy music if all you listen to is 70s Rock & Roll.

You cannot choose a single wrestler to bring back an era that has already happened.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Someone told me that they had heard that after Linda McMahon's election is over (which they are resigned to losing), then WWE is going to drop the PG rating and go to more edgy material.

I wouldn't expect a full on return to the Attitude Era, but I could see them wanting to push the envelope more. Has anyone else heard this?

·
Now THAT is a shared moment...
781 Posts
Someone's always saying something like that. I doubt they're going to go back to the attitude era, but I wouldn't mind seeing them go more along the lines of the Ruthless Agression era which is actually more likely than the AE.

·
Registered
3,275 Posts
it will be like 96-97 or 02-07 at best. But not right away, it will be a slow push.

·
Registered
13,167 Posts
Profanity might be a little more common as well as blood but the Attitude Era is long dead [Thankfully] and thus the only thing that will happen is that a new era begins.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
I would love a new Ruthless Agression Era (like posted above) but I really doubt it

I think we're probably headed into a New Generation Era Revamping

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
I don't think we are going to see another Attitude Era for a while, WWE is rebuilding the product at the moment and are reconditioning the audience while also targeting a new audience too. The Attitude Era was never going to last forever, after a long period of success it started to get rather stale and fans just weren't reacting to the product like they used to.

Some fans may not like the current product but they should give the company time, they're having to build new stars and that isn't always easy. I think WWE will become more like the Attitude Era again but when that is i'm not to sure.

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
Profanity might be a little more common as well as blood but the Attitude Era is long dead [Thankfully] and thus the only thing that will happen is that a new era begins.
This.

If the company ever decides to go TV-14 again I wouldn't mind the profanity and the blood but I do think they should leave the over the top skits and crash TV at the door because they're the things I certainly don't miss about that era.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Re: What type of character would be required to bring back a feeling of the Attitude

The Attitude era has been, and it's gone. There wasn't one wrestler, or one group of wrestlers, or even one promotion that spawned it, it was the world in general and how people were.

We don't need an Attitude Era Part 2 because that was different and brand new, why recreate it? What would recreate it, sex and violence? People look back on it like it was the crowning moment in wrestling, those years were so much greater and all I think is that in hindsight, it looked great, but it still had a lot of crappy nonsense that was attempted today it would be shot down, instantly.

Take Owen hart when he became the Blue Blazer again, replace him with Danielson in the modern era, and the whole of the Internet fanboys would stuff their throats with their wanking socks.

People bring up the AE so often whilst not giving todays product a chance, or even the product in recent years a chance.

You cannot enjoy music if all you listen to is 70s Rock & Roll.

You cannot choose a single wrestler to bring back an era that has already happened.
Well, I meant the positive aspects of the AE that fans tend to remember the most, not the negative or embarassing traits.

And I don't mean "bring" back the Attitude Era itself, just introducing a specific character who would would emanate a "feeling" of it as much as possible.

·
So good they named it thrice
6,336 Posts

Attitude Era is gone, but we need an Austin type character. Pure badass, Orton is the closest to this, but he's pretty bland.

·
Banned
2,012 Posts
i dont know about you blokes but im looking forward to when WWE decide to go back to their old ways so i can say,

"AH...WHATS THE MATTER VINNY, ARE YOUR COOL MAINSTREAMS FRIENDS STARTING TO GET BORED WITH YOU, HAVE YOU FINALLY REALISED YOU ARE A PROFESSIONAL WRESTLING PROMOTION NOT FUCKING FISHER PRICE"

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
I read that divas weren't allowed to show cleavage in photoshoots now aswell.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
sure, anyone who watched (and was at the correct age demographic for wrestling) back in the mid/late 90's/early 2000's wants a return to that product, but it's actually quite difficult to define exactly what it was about the era that we all loved and therefore miss now it's gone...surely it can't just be some light profanity and blood?

·
Registered
7,581 Posts

Attitude Era is gone, but we need an Austin type character. Pure badass, Orton is the closest to this, but he's pretty bland.
The only problem there is that Randy Orton can't sustain any momentum for any longer than six months despite being booked like a god so long term or short term Randy Orton is simply not the man to bring any kind of era aimed at an older audience in. If WWE did want to end this PG rated product and go with a more adult orientated show then how to do it would be simple but would be bashed by everyone in the iwc.

The simple solution would be to push John Cena even harder but with him allowed to really cut loose and be that edgy style face that got him so over in 2003 and then have him feud with a freshly turned but sadistic heel in Triple H who would play a similar character to the one he played in between mid 1999 and mid 2001. Now a Cena/HHH feud would be hated by many on here but there isn't a face on the WWE roster who can draw like John Cena can nor play a face and sustain any long term momentume whilst there isn't anyone who could make people hate him by being a badass heel and be the perfect foil for a edgy style face than Triple H can.

As many fan's as Randy Orton has he has proven yet again that he will never be a true alternative to John Cena as the main face and main man in the company whilst younger wrestler's like CM Punk, Wade Barrett, Sheamus, Jack Swagger, Cody Rhodes and Alberto Del Rio are years away from realistically being anywhere near the level of Triple H as a hated and sadistic heel. The only other realistic way would be for The Undertaker to turn heel and assemble another Ministry of Darkness and for WWE to produce a very dark show which would see The Undertaker do and say all kinds of dastardly things whilst someone like John Cena would play the saviour face in the same way Stone Cold Steve Austin did in between 1998 and 1999.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
I highly doubt they are going to drop the PG rating even after the election. Have you seen the Stand up for the WWE promos. The commercials basicly says they relish being PG.

·
These days I find beauty as depressing as years be
13,975 Posts
Nope, going pg got them bigger sponsors and they would take the risk of losing them over a few attitude marks.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts