Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the surplus of Main Event Talent and part time Legends coming back, WWE has taken guys who should be singles stars (Cesaro, Sandow, and Ryback in the past) and placed the in Tag Teams. It's a common practice, but the problem has always been the teams not getting enough time to gel or stay together for more than a few months.

WWE should have a fresh start a week after Mania. Tag Titles are suspended, with a winner being determined at SummerSlam. Teams are put together and for 4 1/2 months, win loss records are kept, resulting in either a seeded Tag Title tournament in August or a seeded Gaunlet Match at Summerslam.

On Cheap Heat's podcast, Dave Shumaker mentioned the old WCW idea of a Lethal Lottery. If done right, this could be an awesome way to form some new teams and create entertaining TV. I also think once you are in the tag division, you must stay there for a year (barring injury). Kind of like what NJPW does with their Junior Division.

Mine- The Miz and Bo Dallas. Or Sheamus and Erick Rowan.

What's the best Lethal Lottery team you'd want to see?

·
Hug Life 'til I Die
19,011 Posts
Doesn't matter The Ascension are winning at Mania and keeping them for awhile.

Just to play along though maybe The Miz and Dolph Ziggler.

·
Banned
1,095 Posts
When it came to the pure wrestling, the psychology, the work et cetera the tag team matches were allways my faovourite, and are in that aspect superior to a singles match. but since the mid 90ies tag team wrestling isnt the same anymore, i dont know why ...but in the early 90ies or late 80ies you had the bulldogs, steiners, rockers, brain busters, road warriors, hart foundation and what not. they allways put on long matches with great psychology that mostly went 15+ minutes and were full of action. in the later 90ies neither wcw nor wwf had good tag team matches anymore, until the hardy boyz, edge and christian, the dudleys et cetera came along, but they werent as good as the tag teams from the 80ies.

a good tag team division has a lot of potential, the late 80ies and early 90ies proof that

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's why I think a year long rule would be best for the division. If I'm a wrestler and know I'm in the division for one year, then at least you know your role and can work harder at it. Form 10 teams for the year and keep things mixed up and interesting. Right now, there are 6 teams or so.

Keep Usos, Ascension, Cesaro/Kidd, and New Day(add Titus for injured Woods). Miz will be available soon and so will Cody. Bo, Sheamus, Neville, Rowan, Swagger, Fandango, and Axel are all doing NOTHING. Throw them in tag teams, work a gimmick, and stick with it for a year. If you create 6 new tag teams, 2 or 3 will hopefully stick.

I can't watch the Usos vs. New Day for 3 Raws and Smackdowns in a row.

·
Registered
11,545 Posts
One way they could help restore the tag division is by not burying The Ascension, who are likely the next champs, on commentary every time they make an appearance...

Although, I think this is more of a symptom of the fact that they don't give a fuck about the division, so they allow JBL to go off script.

·
Registered
458 Posts
A tournament/league system for tag teams would actually be fun and add interest to the tag division. But they really are lacking. Usos are the only really ''talented'' tag team and theyre getting boring now anyway

·
Asuka
^Take this off
96,574 Posts
Re-introduce them with brand new titles and call them the "Tag Team World Heavyweight Championships" and have legit top stars hold them and main event PPV's with them, alternating with the singles world title.

The tag team titles SHOULD be a legitimate world heavyweight championship, just like the WWE title. They never have been and that astonishes me. In the Olympics, when you win a gold medal in a two man event, they don't say "oh, that's nice, but you need to win the gold in singles to be legitimate". No, they're treated exactly the same.

You could have tag teams legitimately stay together forever and not be considered failures or midcarders, they could be every bit as big of a star as John Cena or Brock Lesnar.

·
Banned
3,896 Posts
For one. don't have the uso;s challenge for the belts every other ppv, and then win it for no reason so that you can start a singles feud way too early.Have the tag titles main event once in a while on raw, especially if the wwe title isn't on the line.

In fact, any time a title is on the line on RAW, it should main event. Give more people a chance to shine for fucks sake.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Tag team championship means nothing...

The tag team division is clearly bs at the moment. The matches are 'meh' or don't have a proper feud. Should wwe bring some of the solo guys like ziggler and ryback to bring some meaning to the tag team division?

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
Create some teams and keep the teams together, it almost seems like they just can't wait to split them up. Do not allow the teams to take non title losses. I'd also bring in the Dudley Boys and when possible the Hardy Boyz to work with these teams.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Not to mention it allows more guys to get seen on tv. They are paying these guys week in week out. Let guys form their own teams go to NXT and work out work on some moves have some matches and let them go. Every boom period had a solid tag division in it. Make it seem like a big thing. Give them good stories let them main event for Christ sake.

I would have it where something with Uso's and Mizdow causes the titles to be vacated. Have a new set of belts and have an 8 team tournament. Have it where Usos, ascension, Miz and Mizdow, and Cesaro and Kidd and your 1-4 top teams and do a lethal lottery type to fill out the final 4 teams and have them stay together and the two who win their brackets face off for the belt at mania and 're boot the division.

·
Premium Member
5,911 Posts
A league style tournament for the tag titles is an interesting idea. I also think it's a good idea to pair singles guys together, there's a lot of superstars on the roster doing nothing.

·
Registered
14,605 Posts
Yeah, the tag team division used to be great. Would love to have a system of where there are 6-8 credible tag teams and they stay together and not break up after 2 or 3 months.

·
SWAG/SPICE
26,781 Posts
They lost their chance with the amazing teams in 2013. I don't know when they'll get that chance back. Cesaro and Kidd are cool.

Are you kidding me? This shit was hyped. But in today's WWE, everyone has to be in the ME, or get lost. Last year...no tag team ladder match :mj2

·
Daddy's Home
2,943 Posts
Cesaro and Kidd, IMO, are starting to bring back that old-school tag team style. Guys actually getting creative with double-team moves instead of basically having matches with two singles stars who occasionally tag the other man in.

Cesaro & Kidd as well as the quality teams set to arrive from NXT has me hopeful of what this division could become. Murphy and Blake are great to watch - just need some character development. Ascension, regardless of what some think, have a good look and provide that "power-house" tag team. Uso's are fine, people just get sick of seeing them due to how thin the division is. Enzo and Cass will add a lot of entertainment value to the division. I can also see them trying to help a guy like Breeze by introducing him as part of a tag team, perhaps with the Miz once Sandow splits.

Either way, there are a lot of options and a lot of potential. I just hope that they don't drop the ball. A good start, IMO, would be new belts. I hate the Aztec style look of the current straps.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
The only way to save the tag division is to have actual teams that all they do is tag and nothing else. The idea of putting to stars together as a team only works when you have established teams that all they do is tag. Why Teams like The Road Warriors, The Rock and Roll Express, The Midnight Express, The British Bulldogs, The Hart Foundation so on and so forth are so remembered. One was the time but the other is that Tag team wrestling was their specialty so they knew how to carry matches as a team.

You simply do not have that today and most likely won't in the WWE. Other places like ROH and NJPW do this right and it is why the Tag Division flourishes.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts