Wrestling Forum banner

Report: WWE Hints At Music Performance At Summerslam

3K views 34 replies 28 participants last post by  Teh_TaKeR 
#1 ·
In the latest edition of the WWE Magazine, "The Informer" character teases that there will be a musical performance at this year's Summerslam show. Here is what was posted…

This musical act is currently in negotiations to perform at this year's Summerslam. Want a hint? He was a former American Idol runner-up."

Some of the more popular American Idol runner-ups are Clay Aiken, Bo Bice, Blake Lewis, David Archuleta, and Adam Lambert. Also, former contestant James Durbin started working with WWE for the B.A. STAR campaign this year. He placed fourth in the competition.
Source: EWrestlingNews

If so, I think it will be Adam Lambert. He is scheduled to release his second album, "Trespassing". Additionally, I think its plausible that WWE may incorporate this into their anti-bullying campaigns, since WWE has united with GLAAD and Adam Lambert has been given an award by that organisation before.

If true, then I'm not complaining. Adam Lambert is very talented and I like his music. Would make for a better performance than either Flo-Rida or Machine Gun Kelly. I don't even dislike hip hop, I'm just not a fan of either them two.

#2 ·
Gay.

#5 · (Edited)
Wow, former American Idol runner up. Didn't wrestling used to get bands like Anthrax, Megadeth, Motorhead, Kiss and Rage Against The Machine? Not even the winner, man. The American Idol runner up.

:mark: :mark: :mark: I'll certainly be spending 50 bucks on this PPV!

Here is a really radical thought: Add another 8 minutes of wrestling on the wrestling PPV. Goddamn this company is dumb sometimes.

From Lemmy to this in less than 10 years...

#7 ·
Wow, former American Idol runner up. Didn't wrestling used to get bands like Anthrax, Megadeth, Motorhead, Kiss and Rage Against The Machine? Not even the winner, man. The American Idol runner up.

:mark: :mark: :mark: I'll certainly be spending 50 bucks on this PPV!

Here is a really radical thought: Add another 8 minutes of wrestling on the wrestling PPV. Goddamn this company is dumb sometimes.
Its largely to do with WWE attempting to target a mainstream audience. Hard rock/death metal/metal are not mainstream types of music. Additionally, the bands within these genres are arguably not as good as they were fifteen to twenty years ago.

Also, quite often the contestants that do not win these programmes are more talented than those than didn't actually win. For example, Adam Lambert was a contestant the same year as Kris Allen, who I believe Lambert is more talented than. Its been rumoured that Lambert didn't win because he revealed his sexuality. Don't look on having the runner-up as a negative thing.

Just be thankful that it isn't Justin Bieber.

Very intelligent. I'm astounded by such innovative insights.

#8 ·
:eek:rton

Woohoo...

#9 ·
Wow, how far has WWE fallen. Just to go from the raw (no pun intended), uncut and edgy times of the early 2000s to the watered down, poppy, family friendly, clean garbage that is today's bullshit.

And I'm not even one of those who says "Bring back Attitude Era" all the time. I wish they would just stop with the musical performances because nobody in attendance really cares, hence the usually dead reaction.

#12 ·
I might be Irish and have no idea of how American Idol works, exactly; but can anyone honestly explain how "American Idol" winners are good for worldwide entertainment? Don't get me wrong, there are hundreds of great singers/musicians from America. WWE prides itself on "worldwide" entertainment. So other than WWE are trying the "come to SS, see X star that was in American Idol", I have no idea.

#14 ·
It just really depends on how popular each former contestant is globally. There have only been a few successful American Idol contestants outside the USA: Adam Lambert, Jordin Sparks and Jennifer Hudson. The most successful is Kelly Clarkson. So, it is plausible that they will target Adam Lambert because he has been somewhat successful, he fits in with WWE's current image in appealing to diversity, and he will likely want to market his own music material considering he is releasing a new album. I don't think they will be using his former American Idol status as a marketing strategy.

#17 ·
By the way, the only legit people who went to be a mainstream success after Idol were Kelly Clarkson, Jennifer Hudson, and Carrie Underwood. Lambert to a small degree but at that point, Idol had been watered down.

#21 ·
WWE wants mainstream attention. So naturally, they choose the most irrelevant bands and C-list celebrities to show up on their show. Really, you think people give a fuck about an American Idol runner up? No one cared for Machine Gun Suckass, that douche from the 7Up commercial, and Kid Rock. Just give up.

#28 ·
Noone fucking EVER is going to buy a PPV to hear a singer do a song, no matter who the singer is. If they insist on having a band or singer perform, get one of the superstars songs to be played live by the band. Its still not going to get more people to buy the PPV but it would be very memorable and nice for the fans

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.