Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 199 Posts

·
Banned
6,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure how true this is but if so this is absolutely amazing. The WWE is a crap show.

Full article here:

Joe Lanza, who has connections in the wrestling business and a good track record with backstage news, talked about the departures of Neville and Jimmy Jacobs on the VOW Flagship Podcast.

He talked about how people like Cody Rhodes were able to leave the company and do very well financially on the independent scene. The Young Bucks, Kenny Omega, and Cody Rhodes are just a few examples of names that have been able to make a nice living without the WWE machine pushing them and people that are currently with WWE have taken notice. Lanza said, “[Cody] doesn’t have any plans on going to WWE anytime soon. There’s wrestlers in WWE going to him and getting advice on their own exit plans from the company. I know this for a fact. I can’t give you the names. I know that’s a bit of a dick tease [but] I can’t say the names but there’s wrestlers that go to him for advice on how to leave the company.”

Lanza also had an interesting note on the 205 Live wrestlers and the money that they are not getting for the WWE 2K18 game. The 2K video game checks are usually the biggest checks of the year for talent so you could imagine the frustration from the 205 Live talent not getting the same pay as the rest of the roster. Lanza said, “From what we are told, the 205 Live talent that made their way onto the 2K video game this year are not getting a piece of the sales like everybody else. They’re getting a flat fee. Why? I don’t know.”

Lanza said that most of the 205 Live roster is not happy to be there because they are not making a lot of money. The wrestlers on that show are considered to be at the “kids table” and are getting scraps. Neville, according to Lanza, was promised a real push on Raw and it never happened. A real push would mean better pay and being treated as more than just a cruiserweight sideshow. But, he was passed over for Enzo Amore and was booked to lose to him again last Monday. So, you could imagine his frustration because he’s done everything to get himself over this year.

We’ve said it before on this site that the roster is huge between the main roster (Raw/Smackdown), 205 Live, NXT and the people at the Performance Center that are getting ready to move into NXT. It would be smart for every lower or mid-card wrestler to have an exit plan because, at some point, there will be a time when management will decide to release a bunch of wrestlers.
http://wrestlingnews.co/wwe-news/several-wrestlers-reportedly-seeking-advice-from-cody-rhodes-as-they-plan-their-exit-from-wwe/

·
TEAM KICK!
9,429 Posts
Sounds like it's a lot of the cruiserweights then, doesn't surprise me. Also my belief that Neville's frustration came from creative screwing him over seems to be accurate too.

I mean, leaving WWE is a risk, because, while the money that you'd be getting as a lower carder there probably isn't amazing, i can't imagine a lot of independent shows will be too much better, and you wouldn't be getting as much when it comes to mainstream exposure etc. but at the same time if you're a talented performer, and companies like ROH or NJPW would be willing to bring you in and actually use you, then it's a no brainer.

·
Premium Member
38,759 Posts
Not sure how true this is but if so this is absolutely amazing. The WWE is a crap show.

Full article here:

http://wrestlingnews.co/wwe-news/several-wrestlers-reportedly-seeking-advice-from-cody-rhodes-as-they-plan-their-exit-from-wwe/
I can easily see this being true especially why Neville left. He got fucked over for WM and not getting a cut of the DVD sales bc he was on the pre-show then not getting the same pay he got for WWE2k this year as he would last year because he is on 205 was probably the nail in the coffin.

Sounds like it's a lot of the cruiserweights then, doesn't surprise me. Also my belief that Neville's frustration came from creative screwing him over seems to be accurate too.

I mean, leaving WWE is a risk, because, while the money that you'd be getting as a lower carder there probably isn't amazing, i can't imagine a lot of independent shows will be too much better, and you wouldn't be getting as much when it comes to mainstream exposure etc. but at the same time if you're a talented performer, and companies like ROH or NJPW would be willing to bring you in and actually use you, then it's a no brainer.
Also don't forget in the WWE you are on the road for like 300 days a year, in the indies not so much.

·
#1 Somamaniac
13,601 Posts
Yeah I saw this earlier.

That's what bad management, booking and terrible feuds does. If the wrestlers don't enjoy the work, they get unhappy and don't care which leads to an even worse product.

·
Banned
9,951 Posts

But Cody Rhodes isn't even a very talented performer and he's doing very well there.

·
Registered
8,506 Posts
The Cruiserweight division was an abortion from the beginning. It really makes no sense for either WWE or the guys involved in it truth be told. WWE's making all these cuts, stopping pyro and custom sets and really wrecking a lot of the excitement because of it (these things do matter), but how much money are they putting into the Cruiserweight division? The only purpose I see from it is to eat up time on Raw. Those three hours gotta be filled somehow. If it's a proving ground, Neville deserved a bigger push but it seemed they were still gonna keep him in that purgatory so I don't blame him.

Roster cutbacks are probably overdue to be honest. How many people are there that they never use even as jobbers?

·
#1 Somamaniac
13,601 Posts
Good. Maybe this will wake WWE up. Shit, they've been in a rut since, what, 2003? 2002? Something has to shake them up, and God knows Vince won't do it.
Why would he? More tickets are selling then there was before, revenue is as high as it's been, subscription rates are through the roof and they are beating MNW ratings. Why the change?

·
SLAVE.
3,384 Posts
It is hard to know what the benefits, financially, of WWE are. We are constantly told the money in WWE is better but there seems little transparency around what kind of money anyone is on. There is talks of some pretty insane bonuses for top talent and of course it is a proper full time job but it seems like WWE absolutely runs their employees into the ground and they still seem to often be expected to sort out their own hotels and travel.

Meanwhile I've also read reports of guys on the indys making a killing, asking for, and receiving, several thousand dollars a show, plus getting 100% of their merch money and having full control of their schedule. But these reports are usually about top talent on the indys, the guys usually about to break big in places like New Japan or WWE. The further you go down the card on an indy show and the muddier the financial picture becomes.

I live in a crap city in the UK no one outside of the West Midlands has ever heard of, but here at the promotions in my city you are lucky to get fed and make a tenner for a show, while wrestling in front of a couple of dozen people just to put that perspective into contrast.

·
Registered
12,449 Posts
If someone is taking career advice from Cody Rhodes then they're a lost cause.

And that includes Cesaro before some mong pipes up
Rhodes is making a lot of money in the independents , can make his own schedule and work with virtually any company he wants to work for. Cody has done very well for himself outside of the WWE when people thought otherwise . The indies isn't nearly as bad as people make them out to be

·
The EST of NXT
28,489 Posts
Good. The Cruiserweight Division is a waste of everyone's time, and it'll have to disband if the majority of them quit. As for the people acting like it's a guarantee for all of them to make money on the indies; you're wrong. Six guys who serve the same purpose aren't going to get a Bullet Club Elite paycheck. It's not that simple. There has to be a high demand for you in order to get a Cody Rhodes payday. Before being in New Japan, he was making waves by wrestling Kurt Angle on the indies. I'm pretty sure TJ Perkins and Kalisto aren't going to sell out a ROH PPV.

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
Good. Maybe this will wake WWE up. Shit, they've been in a rut since, what, 2003? 2002? Something has to shake them up, and God knows Vince won't do it.
I dont think Neville leaving will really change the WWE. If Punk couldnt, then Neville has no chance. Only thing that will change them is when Vince starts seeing holes in his bank account and he wont see that in a while.

On topic, good on them. WWE based off what I heard of is a shit place to work and a shit place to wrestle. If your talented enough, you can make as much money and have 3x as much fun working at another company.

·
The Mouth of Madness!
10,645 Posts
Rhodes is making a lot of money in the independents , can make his own schedule and work with virtually any company he wants to work for. Cody has done very well for himself outside of the WWE when people thought otherwise . The indies isn't nearly as bad as people make them out to be
Not to mention all that Bullet Club merch money!

·
Banned
9,951 Posts
It is hard to know what the benefits, financially, of WWE are. We are constantly told the money in WWE is better but there seems little transparency around what kind of money anyone is on. There is talks of some pretty insane bonuses for top talent and of course it is a proper full time job but it seems like WWE absolutely runs their employees into the ground and they still seem to often be expected to sort out their own hotels and travel.

Meanwhile I've also read reports of guys on the indys making a killing, asking for, and receiving, several thousand dollars a show, plus getting 100% of their merch money and having full control of their schedule. But these reports are usually about top talent on the indys, the guys usually about to break big in places like New Japan or WWE. The further you go down the card on an indy show and the muddier the financial picture becomes.

I live in a crap city in the UK no one outside of the West Midlands has ever heard of, but here at the promotions in my city you are lucky to get fed and make a tenner for a show, while wrestling in front of a couple of dozen people just to put that perspective into contrast.
If you're Roman Reigns, or someone else who is a Vince/HHH favored guy, you absolutely pick WWE 100 times out of 10. You're going to make millions a year.

If you're a low carder, it's a wash either way. With the WWE you'll make okay money, not enough to retire on, but a decent job to hold your bills for a few years. With the indies you'll probably make the same amount, but there's a small tiny .01% chance you'll be like the Young Bucks or Omega, might be worth the shot for some.

·
SLAVE.
3,384 Posts
If you're Roman Reigns, or someone else who is a Vince/HHH favored guy, you absolutely pick WWE 100 times out of 10. You're going to make millions a year.

If you're a low carder, it's a wash either way. With the WWE you'll make okay money, not enough to retire on, but a decent job to hold your bills for a few years. With the indies you'll probably make the same amount, but there's a small tiny .01% chance you'll be like the Young Bucks or Omega, might be worth the shot for some.
Surely if you job in WWE for a few years, you are more likely to make more money outside of WWE in the end by using the name value of "Former WWE superstar..." to get booked on the more lucrative indys like RoH or New Japan. I mean that is basically what Cody Rhodes did, same with all sorts of guys in places like Lucha Underground and the associated promotions. So weirdly, there is a benefit for every wrestler to go to WWE, even if it is just in the name of going back to the indys after a period of months to have higher stock.

·
The Blue Meanie
15,838 Posts
I can easily see this being true especially why Neville left. He got fucked over for WM and not getting a cut of the DVD sales bc he was on the pre-show then not getting the same pay he got for WWE2k this year as he would last year because he is on 205 was probably the nail in the coffin.

Also don't forget in the WWE you are on the road for like 300 days a year, in the indies not so much.
Wrestlers really need a union. CM Punk was trying to warn everyone backstage about the Network which is taking more money out of their pockets too.

1 - 20 of 199 Posts