Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know why when the WWE are showing a replay of a high risk move, e.g air bourne, they always show the initial jump and hang time in slow mo but speed it up just before the impact? I don't think it's to do with being PG these days because all the attitude era replays did it aswell.
Thoughts?

·
Registered
6,319 Posts
Lol PG mentions in every thread now? Obviously it's not. It makes the move look more graceful and impressive when slowed down, and still makes it look painful by speeding it up for the landing. There's no ulterior motive or anything, it just looks cool.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Did you really bring up PG as a possible reason for the video editors to use certain effects in their highlights? I think we're scraping the bottom of the barrel here.

·
Premium Member
4,072 Posts
Does anyone know why when the WWE are showing a replay of a high risk move, e.g air bourne, they always show the initial jump and hang time in slow mo but speed it up just before the impact? I don't think it's to do with being PG these days because all the attitude era replays did it aswell.
Thoughts?
This PG stuff is getting fucking ridiculous now. fpalm

·
Registered
21,591 Posts
The show the jump in low motion to show the fine-form of the move and how well it's being executed, but they speed it up when it comes to the impact because they don't wanna show how the guys protect the moves on landing to make sure there's as little connection possible.

The slow-mo part does an excellent job of showing just how well the move has been performed and they speed the end up so we are spared having to watch them reveal the 'secrets' of the trade as it were, on each move.

·
Registered
647 Posts
It's the same reason they switch camera angles every 2 seconds. It's to cover up that it's not real.
This. If you play it slow-mo you see the guys protecting themselves if it's a kick to the head or arching upwards if they're taking a move off the top or spreading their arms if they are taking a bump. Similarly, they change angle for the 5 knuckle shuffle, big boots and similar moves that clearly don't make contact from certain angles

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
This PG stuff is getting fucking ridiculous now. fpalm
Quoted for eternal truth.

The jump needs to look graceful and masterful, so they slow it down to show you the process of the move.

The impact, on the other hand, just needs to look straight up hard-hitting, thus they speed it up the same way that that if I punched you reaaaallly slowly it wouldn't hurt but if I ran up and decked you, you'd be KO'd.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts