Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
BIG KAIJU~
5,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
October 5, 1997 Brian was found dead in a hotel room.When I heard about, I never saw a tribute show for a passed away Wrestler, and it sank it Wrestlers are not immortal, everyone leaves and moves on in life.Here's the positive this man if had not died, would of great like Austin was, he was so creative on the microphone.His Wrestling skills we great, and people just thought he was there in WWE or WCW for his crazyness! Nah watch Liger vs Pillman matches.This man was also a great Wrestling tag team techicanm remember the hollywood blondes? Let's remember Brian Pillman truely a Legend in my mind, who life was cut short.

·
Registered
6,124 Posts
I was gutted that a wrestler had died, definitely remember where I was when I heard of Pillman's death.

I am doing a youtube Booking series called StarDuels with a cool guy called mickeybabylon right now. Rebooking every Starrcade, Brian Pillman is a HUGE part of that series!

Brian was a great man and a great wrestler who should have been a major Superstar.

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
No trying to be "that guy" but Pillman die in 1997 not 1999.:no:

Sadly brian was too much injurie prone to play a important role in the ring for the bigger part of his career. At least he has the Liger series and Play important roles in The Later Hoursemen, The Blonds and The Hart Foundation

·
Anti-Hero
9,798 Posts
I think JR is on the money with this one.
Pillman was an amazing performer who had found an amazing gimmick. The car wreck and subsequent realization that he would never physically be able to compete the way he wanted to led to the downward slide in Pillman's life. That's not to say that he wouldn't have gone on to be a star, the Goldust/Marlena angle was red hot when he passed.
JR claimed Pillman died of a broken heart and the romantic side of me agrees with him.
RIP Brian Pillman, we miss ya.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Also, it was October 5th, not 8th ¬_¬

Anyway, I'm just about the biggest fan of Pillman's as there is. A tragic story in many, many ways. In many ways a victim of the industry, and one of the most talented people never to have a main event run.

·
Squared Circle Gimmick
5,371 Posts
October 5, 1997 Brian was found dead in a hotel room.When I heard about, I never saw a tribute show for a passed away Wrestler, and it sank it Wrestlers are not immortal, everyone leaves and moves on in life.Here's the positive this man if had not died, would of great like Austin was, he was so creative on the microphone.His Wrestling skills we great, and people just thought he was there in WWE or WCW for his crazyness! Nah watch Liger vs Pillman matches.This man was also a great Wrestling tag team techicanm remember the hollywood blondes? Let's remember Brian Pillman truely a Legend in my mind, who life was cut short.
Fixed.

RIP Brian.

·
Registered
6,124 Posts
The injuries and dozens of surgeries Pillman had to deal throughout his career are what lead to the end of his life, some people are just dealt a shitty hand.

·
Registered
557 Posts
The first in a long line of tragic events happening to great talents. Injury leads to pain meds leads to surgery leads to more pain meds...everyone knows this is a dead end road. Really sad stuff in any case.

Personal highlights include:
- Flyin' Brian (some of the first aerial stuff I saw came from Pillman in WCW)
- The Hollywood Blondes (a great team in a time when that sort of thing was dying off)
- vs. Liger
- "I respect you, I respect you booker man"
- every second of every ECW TV promo
- every second of the WWF feud with Austin
- Canadian Stampede
- the feud with Goldust (wasn't my favorite and a terrible way for him to go out, but man...way ahead of its time)

·
Masonic!
1,547 Posts
Pillman is one of my all time favorites.

If he had of been around today, he would be a huge deal. I bet he also would of used the internet really well.

A memeber of the Horsemen and The Hart Foundation, if that's not saying something, then I don't know what is.

·
Registered
21,591 Posts
I'm currently going through all WWF stuff from the Attitude Era and at the moment I'm just watching Ground Zero which was the PPV before Pillman was found dead. It's really hitting home to me watching his current feud with Goldust, just how great of a worker he is. I can't even imagine how big he would have gotten because the guy had a load of potential, shame he passed so young. R.I.P

·
Registered
6,124 Posts
Pillman was so good if he controlled his demons he could of been a World Champion in WWE, or at least Ic Champion.
His demons? He lived in CONSTANT pain. Pillman should have retired from wrestling after his accident, but wrestling like the things he took to deal with the pain can be just as dangerous a drug. The fact that Pillman still wrestled after what he went through was inhuman! He just had 1... or 12 too many misfortunes.

Brian would have been something else had he not hurt his ankle.

·
Banned
193 Posts
Committed suicide while on the phone to him, did she not?
She (Rochelle) committed suicide by shooting herself after being on the phone with Melanie his next long term partner. Rochelle intended to call Brian but he was on the road wrestling at the time.

Rochelle his ex partner was a crack addict and a manic depressive. Pillman suffered from severe guilt over leaving her and would often have nightmares about her after she died.

That was what JR was referring to when he said on the Pilman DVD that he died from a broken heart.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts