Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Not the Walk Out you are all thinking of, I am referring to the first time he walked out, The Raw after Wrestlemania, he was allegedly butt hurt that Rock was going to be the #1 pick and not himself in the Draft. Just LMAO, imagine working yourself into a shoot thinking a phony draft is real. They ended up changing the storyline so that Austin was a free agent to appease him.

·
Registered
183 Posts
At this point, The Rock was clearly the better choice to be the No. 1 draft pick for the initial WWF Brand Extension that saw Raw and SmackDown have separate rosters. WWF tried appeasing Austin by making him a free agent who is free to sign with Raw or SmackDown!, and even with Rock, Hogan, Kurt Angle and Triple H shuttled off to SD!, Austin still had to deal with Undertaker and Brock Lesnar being better than he is by 2002 standards.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
At this point, The Rock was clearly the better choice to be the No. 1 draft pick for the initial WWF Brand Extension that saw Raw and SmackDown have separate rosters. WWF tried appeasing Austin by making him a free agent who is free to sign with Raw or SmackDown!, and even with Rock, Hogan, Kurt Angle and Triple H shuttled off to SD!, Austin still had to deal with Undertaker and Brock Lesnar being better than he is by 2002 standards.
I agree Austin just lost all his luster at that point, at times he felt like a IC mid carder.

Pretty sure he walked out because he was already very unhappy. He got stuck with a drunk Scott Hall at Mania, I don't blame him for walking out.
it was reported at the time he took a flight home because he was upset Rock got picked first in the draft.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I agree Austin just lost all his luster at that point, at times he felt like a IC mid carder.
Agreed on the part where he felt like a midcarder. I think the WWF Intercontinental Championship Belt is a more appropriate level for the caliber of sub-par performance that Austin was putting out by 2002.

This is going to turn into another Rock vs Austin thread isnt it?
That's a reality you just made continue.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Agreed on the part where he felt like a midcarder. I think the WWF Intercontinental Championship Belt is a more appropriate level for the caliber of sub-par performance that Austin was putting out by 2002.
def, this told you all you need to know

·
Registered
398 Posts
Its known Austin wanted Flair at WM 18 and got stuck with Hall who showed up drunk to the arena the day before WM 18 which caused this, lets not pretend Rock never no showed or cancled without notice, he did it the nigtt after Summerslam 2002 because he was buthrt from getting booed again.

·
Registered
9,847 Posts
Maybe the fact his body was so fucked up he needed two leg braces to hobble in the ring and his fucked neck led him to a drinking problem was a factor as well. Sorry, 'allegedly'

·
Banned
The King Of Rants
11,916 Posts
I actually didn't know he walked out and that was the reason he was the free agent. That's pretty interesting.

In 2002 I will agree with the posters above who say Rock was the better choice. Stone Cold's popularity had seemingly taken a slight dip and Austin was late thirties whilst Rock was just thirty years old.

Austin was very injury prone the prior 2-3 years as well. Not his fault but as a number 1 star you can't have that.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Austin was told to retire right after Survivor Series 2001, he really neede to be a part time, his what catch phrase reinvented his character somewhat but his body was breaking down, had he become part time he would have wrestled longer. His best matches in 2002 were with Angle and Flair.

·
Registered
292 Posts
his feud with scott hall was lackluster .. that one episode of raw or smackdown with austin hunting down hall and then taping him down to a chair and wheeling him around the arena was painfully bad, by then his character was starting to lose traction and then what followed happened, looking back now it's kinda sad the way one of the goats was booked/portrayed towards the end of his career
I won't even go into how nauseating the whole "what" gimmick was

·
The Ghost of WF
Let death take my enemies by surprise; let them go down alive to the realm of the dead.
20,288 Posts
Austin obviously couldn't handle slipping into the 2nd or 3rd spot because you had Hogan there too as well as Rock at the time but yeah I didn't actually know that's why he walked out initially.

·
Registered
382 Posts
He walked out because of injuries and creative differences that started well before the draft. He realized Vince didnt see him as a top guy anymore and wasnt gonna risk ending up in a wheelchair for a midcard spot.

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
Watch the season one of Ruthless Aggression Era documentary,on his defense, Stone Cold have no problems to work with Brock and put him over as long it have strong background storyline, not just free throw away match, even JR as his best friend wasn't too sure to tell Austin about that plan.

As for draft part, i think he have right to upset, it's like he knew there's no plan for him, the free agent stuff could work if they didn't put him into sh*tty storyline, they turned him into utter midcard during his feud against Ric Flair.

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
I didn’t know this. So how long was Austin the number 1 guy?

It would be interesting to work out his time on top and compare that to rock, hogan (including wcw), Cena and reigns.

·
Registered
4,573 Posts
I do. In fact him and Rock were supposed to wrestle on the last Raw eps before the roster split. The match would end in no contest and a big brawl would break out, similar to this:

·
Registered
262 Posts
Oh good. Another thread trying to put down Austin.

He was the most popular star in the Attitude Era by a long way. That's just fact.

1 - 20 of 136 Posts