Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got into wrestling early last year, right before WM25.

I hear a lot about "the good old days" with Stone Cold, The Rock, and the other guys from the Attitude Era in WWF, plus nWo, Sting, and the guys from WCW, with all of the crazy storylines, intensity, and badassery that seems to be missing from the WWE these days.

I was young during these years, so even if I wanted to watch wrestling, I wouldn't have been allowed to, which is probably a good thing. :rolleyes:

Anyway I kind of want to "relive" these good old days, of which I know were a really, really important part of wrestling history.

But how would you guys recommend I do this?

A few questions:

1) What years would you say are "must watch" years?

2) Is it possible to get a hold of every single episode of RAW and Nitro from the Monday Night Wars (according to Wikipedia, 1995-2001)?

I know WWE has all of this in their archives, but I don't think they're available to buy... are they?

3) Even if I were able to get a hold of all of the episodes, watching all of the episodes just from the Monday Night Wars from RAW and Nitro would take years and years (6+ unless I watched a lot of episodes per day/week, which I definitely wouldn't want to do).

But of course, I'm sure, not all 2 hours of RAW and Nitro would be worth watching, so... is watching whole episodes the way to go about doing this?

If only there was a large DVD collection of all of the "good stuff" from RAW and Nitro during the Attitude Era that I could buy. :D

Thoughts, advice, comments? Thanks guys!

·
Celestial Messiah
33,587 Posts
The attitude era can suck it. You want good wrestling, go hunt down WCW from 1987 to 1993 and the territory days of wrasslin. If you must resort to the attitude era just stick to RAW and Smackdown 2000 to 2001.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
INBTL

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
1998 is definitely a much watch year for the WWF, it wasn't full of brilliant in-ring action but the in ring action was a lot better than the year that followed There were some terrific storylines during that time. 2000 was very good too.

As for WCW, 1996 and 1997 are by far the best years and they included Sting and the nWo at their peak so I'd recommend those.

You can get hold of the old episodes on DVD on tape trading forums but the WWE haven't released their own copies.

·
Banned
4,120 Posts
1. WCW - 1996-1998; WWF - 1998-2001
2. They are all in the multimedia section of this forum.
3. If you want to see it, yes. I'm reliving it downloading one episode at a time. Of course, you could get a list of, say, the top 25 matches from each year, I suppose.

·
Banned
3,750 Posts
1998,1999,2000 and 2001 Raws and SD and PPVS are a must have. They can be downloaded online (look in the media section) and also people sell them at various sites (google 'wwf 1999 raw season set' for example).

The attitude era can suck it. You want good wrestling, go hunt down WCW from 1987 to 1993 and the territory days of wrasslin. If you must resort to the attitude era just stick to RAW and Smackdown 2000 to 2001.
:lmao

·
Registered
21,621 Posts
If I were you I would download everything from WWE & WCW starting the night the monday night wars started and just watch as the world of pro-wrestling progressed from corny kids tv to a the coolest thing pop culture had to offer...Also, I'd try and get hold of all the ECW from that era too, although that would be hella hard.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
man this exactly what i do in the last 3 4 years i just watch the entire raw sd and ppv of 2000 2001 2002 and now i'm watching 1998 so i just see the big ppv of wwe and tna and ufc today

all of this u can find in this great forum and i promise u the greatest most entertaining experience of your life it's amazing i keep them all and watch it again and again

·
Lucy Snorebush
2,073 Posts
Going with the majority, start from '98 in my opinion.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Start from 98, make sure you check out 99 upto about 2001, then si started to go downhill

·
Registered
10,592 Posts
I got into wrestling early last year, right before WM25.

I hear a lot about "the good old days" with Stone Cold, The Rock, and the other guys from the Attitude Era in WWF, plus nWo, Sting, and the guys from WCW, with all of the crazy storylines, intensity, and badassery that seems to be missing from the WWE these days.

I was young during these years, so even if I wanted to watch wrestling, I wouldn't have been allowed to, which is probably a good thing. :rolleyes:

Anyway I kind of want to "relive" these good old days, of which I know were a really, really important part of wrestling history.

But how would you guys recommend I do this?

A few questions:

1) What years would you say are "must watch" years?

2) Is it possible to get a hold of every single episode of RAW and Nitro from the Monday Night Wars (according to Wikipedia, 1995-2001)?

I know WWE has all of this in their archives, but I don't think they're available to buy... are they?

3) Even if I were able to get a hold of all of the episodes, watching all of the episodes just from the Monday Night Wars from RAW and Nitro would take years and years (6+ unless I watched a lot of episodes per day/week, which I definitely wouldn't want to do).

But of course, I'm sure, not all 2 hours of RAW and Nitro would be worth watching, so... is watching whole episodes the way to go about doing this?

If only there was a large DVD collection of all of the "good stuff" from RAW and Nitro during the Attitude Era that I could buy. :D

Thoughts, advice, comments? Thanks guys!
Do people parent's seriously don't let them watch wrestling if it's 14+? Seriously? My dad got me into wrestling.

Anyway, the Attitude Era years are just too frigging overrated. It was really exciting time in wrestling, yes but it's just a name. There's no difference in content between 1999 and 2002.

The Attitude Era years, wrestling wise sucked. By 2000 when guys like Angle, Benoit, Jericho, Guerrero etc were kicking ass and taking names then the wrestling got good. Storyline wise 98 and99 were kind of over the top with the whole monster trucks, beer trucks, milk trucks etc. Storylines like Ministry of Darkness were just way too over the top and felt more like a Hollywood movie than a wrestling program.

A lot of the matches sucked. The main events were just random punching, kicking, slamming into stairs, breaking through tables. And 99% of the time you bet your ass it was going to end with some screwjob finish with someone running in or a DQ. Can you blame them? Vince Russo was writing for them in 99.

Like I said wrestling wise you wanna get 2000-2001. Storyline wise and "Holy shit!" moments you wanna get 98-99.

I will PM you a link where you can get full years of all RAW, Smackdown and Nitro.

Start from 98, make sure you check out 99 upto about 2001, then si started to go downhill
This is bullshit. 2002 wasn't the end for wrestling. March 2001 wasn't the end either. 2002 was a great year wrestling and storyline wise. Smackdown from 2002 was A+ 2003 was even better than 2002! Once again especially on the SD side of things. Then you had 2004 which was RAW's best year in a pretty damn long time.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
sharkboy22 said:
Do people parent's seriously don't let them watch wrestling if it's 14+? Seriously? My dad got me into wrestling.
Believe me, I wouldn't have been able to watch it even if it was PG.

I will PM you a link where you can get full years of all RAW, Smackdown and Nitro.
That'd be awesome, I appreciate it!

·
Banned
2,012 Posts
wwf 2000 is your best bet, 2001 aswell to some extent

·
Purebred Powerhouse
5,754 Posts
2000 through 2002 were tremendous years for WWF/E, if you care anything at all about the quality of the action and the shows.

A lot of those Attitude Era shows don't hold up well. At all. As in, they suck it hard.

Most of them were a product of their own time. In other words, they were full of those "you had to be there" in the moment type of things.

When the Monday Night Wars were ongoing, every show was must-see. Every card was hot. The crowds went nuts for just about ANYTHING that was served up to them.

It was a very different time altogether. Some of the angles are priceless, so don't get me wrong about that. Watching Rock emerge as a top star, seeing Austin excel in his main event capacity, and cheering Foley on as McMahon manipulates him all made for really great television.

On the other side, you've got terrible wrestling, short matches, too many sexual innuendos, WAY too many weapons, a lot of unnecessary nut shots, childish attempts at comedy, and other bullshit to wade through in order to see those things.

·
Lose for Hughes!
3,802 Posts
1) What years would you say are "must watch" years? '88-'92 during the Hulk Hogan, Randy Savage, and Ultimate Warrior era. '93-'98 during the rise of HBK & Bret Hart.

Don't just start watching at the Attitude Era! I highly suggest that you watch WWE back in the early '90s so you can really experience Hulkamania. Alot of people think the Attitude Era is the best wrestling ever... but it's the opposite. I also suggest you watch RAW & SD from '02-'05 because of the unbelievable depth of talented main-eventers they had on the roster.

·
Banned
2,012 Posts
I highly suggest that you watch WWE back in the early '90s so you can really experience Hulkamania. Alot of people think the Attitude Era is the best wrestling ever... but it's the opposite.
that's like saying that the best experience a video gamer could ever get was getting an nes, enjoying the mario bros cart that came with it, looking through Ninty Power and getting all hyped up over The Wizard, actually seeing it, ignoring how bad it is just for a glimpse of SMB3 then actually playing that very game through to the end

1 - 20 of 65 Posts