Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so I'm a fan of Dean Ambrose but I think I'm moreso a fan of his persona and the way he handles himself (facial expressions,attitude etc.) but I haven't really seen him go all out in the ring. Everytime he faces Daniel Bryan he has to be carried to a solid match imo. Even in the tag matches he doesn't really show anything that'll make you jump out your seat (ala Seth Rollins). My question is how good of a wrestler is he? Or is he more of a talker and someone who can tell a good story in the ring?

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
ring work isn't his strongest suit but he is more than passable.
him and ziggler on main event had a great match

http://vimeo.com/77108543

he hasn't had the best opportunities to prove himself and has been handicapped the most by the Shield set-up.

his main areas of expertise however is ring psychology and mic work.

·
my socks are wet
2,971 Posts
Dean Ambrose has a great character. He's a perfect heel and I could never see him as a face. Ever. He's good enough in the ring and the way he carries himself is great. He has a bright future.

·
Premium Member
2,648 Posts
He's a great wrestler, cause "wrestling" isn't just holds, moves, grapples & submissions. As much as I love the technical dudes, if you can effectively throw 2 kicks & a headlock, you can be a great wrestler if the fans buy into it. Ambrose is a great in ring talent, all those subtle nuances OP described is actually part of wrestling. I don't get why people don't understand that.

·
Registered
3,974 Posts
Whenever people start threads regarding Ambrose's ability on working a ring I just direction them to them to his matches with Rollins in FCW, especially the 30 minute match. He can definitely work a ring. Like previously said he hasn't had the best opportunity in showcasing himself. His style isn't really show-y, he's more of a brawler, maybe technical, uses ring psychology rather than a top rope kinda guy so don't except no flashy, corkscrew somersault out of the bag any time soon that will make you mark like a bitch.

Character and storytelling.

He is definitely more solid than he has been showing though.

·
Registered
414 Posts
@OP, yeah, his Shield character right now is depriving him of releasing his full-on gimmick, a complete weirdo/psycho, as well as some wrestling moves. You need to take a look at some of his dark matches before he even debuted on Raw.
Take a look at this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfNYv2TYPNw
Another one with Zack Ryder, dark match: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBTRYCiSng4

That is what you should expect to see once The Shield disband in terms of gimmick and wrestling-wise. He openly said that he brings "brawling" to WWE in an interview, I believe. Putting wrestling aside, he does shine when it comes to talking. He is probably the best on the mic in all of wrestling entertainment. You might find some of his moves a bit a boring, throwing punches and all, but if he wasn't in the Shield, he would use his gimmick to make up for it, as I'm sure you can tell if you watched the videos I suggested above.

Dean Ambrose is someone who could sell a match with losers like Brodus Clay. Although he isn't much of a high-flyer like Rollins, he is a technician and knows counters to your counter's counters. Just know that him being in The Shield is holding him back, but hey, you got to start somewhere.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Promos are clearly his strongest skill. It's very difficult to disagree with that. (I mean, you could, and some people probably do, but it's the usual consensus.) His wrestling skill can be more subjective because people like different styles. Objectively, his technical skill is very good, but not everyone likes that particular style. I dig it cause it's different and it reminds me of some of the stuff I saw growing up, but I know a lot of people who grew up on the attitude era are more partial to flashier/faster wrestling. (I got out of wrestling right before the attitude era, so go figure.) Ambrose is slower and his goal is more to wear a guy down through holds and all of those lovely lariats.

And ditto on the Rollins v. Ambrose trilogy (all 5 of their matches were good, but the three that made up their big feud take the cake). Rollins v. Ambrose III is 35 minutes of beauty. The only other feud from development that I would put up next to it is the Zayn v. Cesaro feud from a few months ago.

·
Fire, walk with me
8,000 Posts
Watch his FCW stuff. Very rarely had a bad match down there. Had a run of about 5 really, really good matches with Rollins (the fcw 15 title 3 match series, a match after that and then the FCW title match). Then he also has a REALLY good 15 title match with Sandow and his two utterly fantastic Regal matches. He hasn't had the chance to go full on with his persona in the shield really and his character work really ties in with his best ring work but he's definitely a good ring worker. He's played his part in all of the good shield matches too, even if Rollins gets most of the plaudits (not that he doesn't deserve those).

But the Regal matches are what I'd recommend most. That entire feud was just brilliant, probably above the Rollins one which was also top notch. He really came on leaps and bounds in developmental to help complement the promo skills that were already there.

·
Registered
5,706 Posts
After all the hype about him before he debuted i was expecting alot better tbh. When someone bigs someone or something up so much by the time you come round to seeing the same thing you already built up a huge expecation and he hasn't fulfilled anywhere near the hype that he got before his debut imho. Ambrose and Reigns will be the guys pushed more but they are both a poor mans Rollins in all honesty. Rollins is much better on the mic than he gets credit for, i like the back chat and insults he shouts out in the ring, his ring work/move set. He is the only guy in The Shield who could put on regular 4/5 star single matches without needing to be wrestling someone like D-Bry. I actually think the last few weeks we have seen WWE reduce his moveset and restricting him to mostly punches and kicks, whether that's just coincidence or they dont want him outshining Reigns & Ambrose (who they have bigger plans for), i dunno but i have certainly noticed it.

·
Read Only
1,147 Posts
His in ring work reminds me of Austin. Not in terms of move set or anything just pace and psychology. Give him a decent finisher and he can go all the way to the top.

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
Ambrose is a very solid worker. Tag matches always alter wrestlers' styles and kind of neuter their movesets because they're either playing the face in peril, waiting for the hot tag and coming in on fire, or beating down the face methodically. When he's out on his own and away from the Shield mentality I think he'll really be able to shine as a psycho.

·
Premium Member
38,759 Posts
Okay so I'm a fan of Dean Ambrose but I think I'm moreso a fan of his persona and the way he handles himself (facial expressions,attitude etc.) but I haven't really seen him go all out in the ring. Everytime he faces Daniel Bryan he has to be carried to a solid match imo. Even in the tag matches he doesn't really show anything that'll make you jump out your seat (ala Seth Rollins). My question is how good of a wrestler is he? Or is he more of a talker and someone who can tell a good story in the ring?

Dean Ambrose is the jake roberts type wrestler. He is decent in the ring but his ring psychology is where he excels at and that is something most wrestlers has lost nowadays. I think its a fair trade off. And its not like Ambrose is terrible in the ring he is still pretty good.
If anything the shield is holding him back he will be way better and showcase his talents once you seem him solo.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Ambrose reminds me of a 80s heel with his brawling style. His moveset might not be for everyone, but he will expand it when he disband from the Shield.

·
Banned
136 Posts
Honestly Ambrose fans have hurt Ambrose hugely by blindly worshiping him. He's by no means bad but I can't count how many times I've seen people say the same thing. He won't match up to his fanboys praise because fanboys will always take it too far. I guarantee he wouldn't get nearly as much criticism if it weren't for his fans. Which is not fair for him.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts