Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was 12 when I got into watching wrestling. For some reason going into i didn't think it was fully pre-determined or something. I remember reading an interview with Shawn after winning the elimination chamber at Survivor Series and explaining to someone I knew that Shawn really DID win the match, and that his victory wasn't planned. Anyone got similar stories?

·
THE MAN has come around to collect her debts.
9,887 Posts
I thought Austin turning on The Rock at WM17 was real. I also thought Taker was really beating the shit out of Ric Flair during their match on the same night. I was 11 years old at the time and had only started watching wrestling the year prior. I believe my first ever show was WM 2000 at a friends house. I also thought everything that went down in that Fatal 4 way main event was real. That would be when I just turned 10 years old.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Russo's stupid worked shoot stuff in late WCW really got me as a kid... I feel really dumb in hindsight even if that's completely reasonable for someone with an age in the single digits at that point.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
I'm older than most here... a couple of times from waaay back in the day. Looking back I think it was just some of the older vets getting a little frustrated with the younger guys.

Wahoo McDaniel vs Luger in CWF. Match was bit "clunky" and the two were not really working that great together. They went outside, right in front of me. Wahoo chopped Luger so hard across the chest he actually drew blood. It sounded like a gunshot.

A card in a gym in TN. Harley Race vs a young Magnum TA. Again, the two were just not working well together. There was a lockup where both seemed to legitimately trying to gain control. Harley did a throw on Magnum that put him on his back. As soon as he landed Harley stomped the mat right beside Magnum's head. Again I was front row and could hear Harley say, "That coulda been your face!" Magnum rolled to his knees. Harley grabbed him and threw him out of the ring. Not a controlled throw/fall. Magnum went between the middle ropes without touching anything and did a belly flop on the floor so hard bounded. Oddly, after that, the rest of the match was smoother and he seemed to work better with Harley after that teachable moment.

·
Registered
22,662 Posts
The Bossman hanging like I knew it wasn't real because Hogan and Flair had a really bloody cage match that made me cry earlier that year and my mom explained it was fake. But for about to be 7 year old me I couldn't fathom how you could fake hang someone.
I thought Austin turning on The Rock at WM17 was real. I also thought Taker was really beating the shit out of Ric Flair during their match on the same night. I was 11 years old at the time and had only started watching wrestling the year prior. I believe my first ever show was WM 2000 at a friends house. I also thought everything that went down in that Fatal 4 way main event was real. That would be when I just turned 10 years old.
Flair and Taker was 18

·
Southern Pride
3,538 Posts
Maybe back before I was a teen in the 90s and watched WCW with my Dad. Before the NWO. Even that may not be accurate because he was talking about how it wasn't real the whole time. I remember getting annoyed at how "American Made" Hogan would stand tall all the time at the end of shows.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I thought Austin beating Vince was real. I remember really disliking Austin back then for beating up the man who pays him.

But back then they had valid reasons for all that stuff happening On TV. For example Vince couldn’t fire Austin becuase Austin was the champ and he would lose too much money for that so he rather take a few hits than firing his champion etc.

I remember being so happy when Vince fires Austin at some point lol

·
Registered
667 Posts
When vince's car blew up.

But seriously, when macho man and Elizabeth reunited after his wrestlemania 7 match, when jake attacked macho man with the snake and when owen hart 'concussed' shawn Michaels just 1 night after shawn had supposedly been beaten by a load of guys outside a bar.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
I started watching WWE late 2003/2004 but my innocence about the business didn't last very long. I was only 8 but the internet was around and so you start looking up stuff about WWE and stumbling on internet forums where it's November but people are talking about booking and plans for WM21. And as a fan it doesn't make any sense, how can there be rumored matches for WM 21 in a legit sport?

And then there were other things, wrestlers would always win in their debut and wrestlers would always win their first match back after injury. From a booking perspective it makes sense but as a fan watching you see these patterns and you start to doubt it's real.

That being said, I still wasn't 100 percent sure how everything worked and I was a big Kurt Angle fan and I was outraged when I read the results that he lost to John Cena in a WWE Title match in 2005. I was just couldn't understand how it was possible that John Cena could beat Kurt Angle in a wrestling match. It just wasn't possible.

It was around 2006 where the fans turned on Cena pretty bad where I started to learn more behind the scenes stuff and it smartened me up to how it all works.

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
I remember being pretty worried about the Warrior when Papa Shango made the black liquid run down his face.
I thought Jake the Snake was blind when Rick Martel sprayed the arrogance in his face.

I think it's safe to say that I'm a little bit older than you guys lol.

Reactions: HBK Styles Ospreay

·
Registered
658 Posts
As a little kid:
Savage vs. Jake in late 91 and early 92 (seemed to venture off into reality)
Savage vs. Flair @ WM 8 (same as above)
Hart vs. Hart @ WM 10 (thought they were working a friendly shoot, before I knew what it meant LOL)

As a young teen:
Hart vs. Michaels @ Survivor Series 97 (thought they'd gone nuts on each other)

·
Registered
502 Posts
The "Hardcore match" between Diesel & Shawn at IYH April 96. Especially when Nash stole Mad Dog Vachon's fake leg.

Finally had to admit it was fake when Owen died. Went to school the next day all upset and everyone kept telling me its fake. Had to tell em they wouldn't fake something like that!

·
Registered
502 Posts
I thought Austin beating Vince was real. I remember really disliking Austin back then for beating up the man who pays him.

But back then they had valid reasons for all that stuff happening On TV. For example Vince couldn’t fire Austin becuase Austin was the champ and he would lose too much money for that so he rather take a few hits than firing his champion etc.

I remember being so happy when Vince fires Austin at some point lol
You may be the only person that disliked Austin for that reason

1 - 20 of 28 Posts