Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
IMPACT! Wrestling isn't what it used to be and we all know this. It's had it's ups and downs, but ultimately I do watch it.
That being said, it is obviously behind companies like WWE, NJPW, AEW, & maybe even behind ROH, but at this point I'd say ROH & IMPACT are both equally bad. Having said that, here are some things I would do if I was over IMPACT! and started a rebuilding process.

1. Sami Callihan as Impact World Champion
Sami had a short run with the title until he lost it to Tessa Blanchard at Hard To Kill. I think he is the cornerstone of Impact, and the company needs to put everything they have into him.

2. Tessa Blanchard strictly a Knockout
I'm all for feminism, so don't take this the wrong way. I just believe that Tessa Blanchard becoming the Impact World Champion defeats the purpose of the Impact Knockouts Championship, which is arguably the championship that started a revolution in women's wrestling. It is also unbelievable at times for Tessa Blanchard to defeat a guy like Sami Callihan or Brian Cage. I'm all for little guys beating the big guys like Rey Mysterio beating a Brock Lesnar or a Finn Balor beating a Goldberg, but I think it's a little different here. Having said all this, Tessa Blanchard would be the Impact Knockouts Champion in this rebuild

3. Taking advantage of COVID-19 Pandemic
I think that this could be a time where IMPACT! has a big opportunity to grab some real talent after all these releases from WWE. Now I know that both WCW and TNA/IMPACT have been ridiculed for just grabbing a WWE Guy and pushing him to the moon just for being a WWE Guy, but there is some real talent out there that they could get. The Ascension were used horribly on the main roster and would instantly boost Impact's tag division. That COVID pandemic video was really good for Impact but out of those guys who is actually coming to Impact? Well, hard to say but if I was Impact I'm not just gonna let AEW or NJPW steal them just because they are the bigger companies, I'm going balls to the wall trying to get talent. I would do everything I could to get Gallows & Anderson, but I really don't see them going anywhere but NJPW. I would do anything to get Rusev, and push him to the moon. I think that Impact could easily get EC3 which I think could be huge for them, he was used horribly in WWE and was a main eventer in Impact before, and would be a huge return. Zack Ryder would be a good talent to pick up as well, but I'd like to see him do a run by himself without Curt Hawkins, but we will see how that goes.

4. Boost Tag Division
The tag team division in Impact is just awful. The North & The Rascalz are the only real teams. Keep these two teams around as well as OVE. Picking up the Ascension like mentioned before could be huge for the division. Break up TJP & Bahh and utilize TJP to make other guys look great, and have great matches. TJP vs. Ace Austin, TJP vs. Chris Bey, etc. Willie Mack & Rich Swann could be a good tag team too, if they get the chance to flourish.

5. Know your Main Eventers
Like I said before, Sami Callihan needs to be the forefront of IMPACT! as well as Tessa Blanchard as a knockout. Brian Cage going to AEW was a huge hit to Impact's main event scene, so who needs to be in the main event? I think that Michael Elgin is a for sure main event main stay, as well as Eddie Edwards. Ken Shamrock can be used as a draw, but I really don't think he's been drawing as well as they would like. Ace Austin & Chris Bey will get their eventually but I don't think they are just quite ready yet, but I would flip my shit if Ace Austin won the belt lol. Moose needs to be in the main event, and so does RVD. RVD being a heel has been pretty good, and him being in cancel culture was pretty good too, but putting him in big matches as a babyface is gonna be your best bet. I would love to see Eddie Edwards & RVD go at it.

Anyways, what would you guys do to rebuild IMPACT!?

·
Registered
536 Posts
Impact are streets ahead of RoH right now, best to watch show of any you mention from a personal PoV.

But there is not a lot I disagree with, I mean now you can completely remove the Tessa bit.

Sami is the cornerstone, should be World Champ still & deserves another run in the future.

Impact have picked up loads of people during COVID-19 & with all the hype of Slammi, I'd keep your powder dry because hopefully big changes are happening.

They absolutely do need new Tag-Teams, apart from the North & Rascalz, I can't say I like the division & I definitely think it needs a few more new teams, absolutely shocked they've still yet to grab The Ascension because they fit each other perfectly.

Another area they are lacking is a vibrant set of Main Eventers. I mean Elgin & Moose are clearly the next 2 World Champs in my eyes, both absolutely deserve it, Sami deserves another go, Ace Austin is giving me AJ Styles vibes (they seriously need to lock him down to a ridiculously long deal), Madman Fulton I think is in place for being elevated to there next year. If they can sign EC3 & Rusev, I think this helps significantly.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Impact are streets ahead of RoH right now, best to watch show of any you mention from a personal PoV.

But there is not a lot I disagree with, I mean now you can completely remove the Tessa bit.

Sami is the cornerstone, should be World Champ still & deserves another run in the future.

Impact have picked up loads of people during COVID-19 & with all the hype of Slammi, I'd keep your powder dry because hopefully big changes are happening.

They absolutely do need new Tag-Teams, apart from the North & Rascalz, I can't say I like the division & I definitely think it needs a few more new teams, absolutely shocked they've still yet to grab The Ascension because they fit each other perfectly.

Another area they are lacking is a vibrant set of Main Eventers. I mean Elgin & Moose are clearly the next 2 World Champs in my eyes, both absolutely deserve it, Sami deserves another go, Ace Austin is giving me AJ Styles vibes (they seriously need to lock him down to a ridiculously long deal), Madman Fulton I think is in place for being elevated to there next year. If they can sign EC3 & Rusev, I think this helps significantly.
Yep cause Tessa is gone now. That's a huge loss for them. But I think WWE, NJPW, & AEW are better products than IMPACT! but yes Ace Austin to me is gonna be a big star and I really like Chris Bey as well. I actually talked to Chris Bey personally and he's a very nice guy. I told him I thought he has a bright future and that he will be a future Impact World Champion if he keeps it going and he thanked me for the encouragement and chatted a little. Thought that was pretty cool lol

·
Banned
801 Posts
Impact are way bigger than ROH and its not even close at this point.

Sami Callihan will have another run with the world title since hes content on staying there his whole career. Tessa Blanchard was fired and they've been signing KnockOuts left and right since the pandemic hit. EC3, Luke Gallows, Karl Anderson, and Eric Young are locks for Impact and they already have them under contract. Luke Gallows and Karl Anderson will obviously add to their tag division and EC3 and Eric Young and possibly Rusev will add to their main event scene.

Ace Austin is on a long term deal with Impact already. He said hes on a 3 year deal.

Yep cause Tessa is gone now. That's a huge loss for them. But I think WWE, NJPW, & AEW are better products than IMPACT! but yes Ace Austin to me is gonna be a big star and I really like Chris Bey as well. I actually talked to Chris Bey personally and he's a very nice guy. I told him I thought he has a bright future and that he will be a future Impact World Champion if he keeps it going and he thanked me for the encouragement and chatted a little. Thought that was pretty cool lol
Tessa's not a huge loss since shes a cancer and shes not a huge gain for any company with her being a difficult person to work with. She'll be blackballed just like Austin Aries and Teddy Hart.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Sami Callihan will have another run with the world title since hes content on staying there his whole career. Tessa Blanchard was fired and they've been signing KnockOuts left and right since the pandemic hit. EC3, Luke Gallows, Karl Anderson, and Eric Young are locks for Impact and they already have them under contract. Luke Gallows and Karl Anderson will obviously add to their tag division and EC3 and Eric Young and possibly Rusev will add to their main event scene.

Ace Austin is on a long term deal with Impact already. He said hes on a 3 year deal.

Tessa's not a huge loss since shes a cancer and shes not a huge gain for any company with her being a difficult person to work with. She'll be blackballed just like Austin Aries and Teddy Hart.
Tessa Blanchard is bad for the locker room. But I believe she was the best knockout they had. As far as Karl Anderson & Luke Gallows, how do you know they have signed a contract already? I have read they are going to NJPW. Just because they were in the Slammiversary Pandemic video doesn't mean they are under contract because Rockstar Spud was in the video but Drake Maverick is still under contract with NXT.

·
Registered
9,236 Posts
I really think Impact needs to stop trying to be the top subpar indy promotion and rebrand and take itself fucking serious. I assume this is what they are planning on doing right now. For whatever reason she got let go to be honest this is sorta a good thing.Regardless of the fact she was good for the female division. They need a shake up to get some people back into it. The roster has been an absolute joke. Im sorry to any of the guys on the roster but a hand full of them are really lacking character and mic work. So what do they have ? Subpar wrestling.

I think the presentation for Impact has gone downhill from a year ago. The belts all look like cheap fucking ugly tacky colorful indy belts. They need belts that look like championships and can have history to them.

Weather its true about that list of wrestlers is coming to Impact.I think they need to put money into building the brand up and bring in more talent.

Another thing that is big time sloppy is its branding presentation and production. They got like 5 different logos that show all at once. Logo for the weekly show is different on the screen,To on the belt, to on the ring apron. It makes them look sloppy and cheap. Plus red fucking logo on your belts is ugly as fuck. Sure its fine for a show.

A lot of the story telling has come off way to cheesy and that is all on Don for sure. His vision has been subpar.

Dont get me wrong he has had pockets of some great stuff but the over all vision is wack

Its like hey look at us we're the coolest fucking indy promotion around,Come see us. Thats what they scream.

·
Registered
9,236 Posts
I feel all that is happening is pretty much a perfect excuse for impact to rebuild

·
Banned
801 Posts
Tessa Blanchard is bad for the locker room. But I believe she was the best knockout they had. As far as Karl Anderson & Luke Gallows, how do you know they have signed a contract already? I have read they are going to NJPW. Just because they were in the Slammiversary Pandemic video doesn't mean they are under contract because Rockstar Spud was in the video but Drake Maverick is still under contract with NXT.
Dude Tessa Blanchard isn't a big loss since shes a cancer and I know Luke Gallows and Karl Anderson are signed because of this

And this

Its clear they're signed with Impact already.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I don't think they need to rebuild at all. Apart from last weeks heavily edited episode, Impact have been the most exciting wrestling show to watch during the pandemic. Blanchard hasn't been featured at all, proving that they don't need her. Some will argue that Elgin is a big loss, but personally I don't think he ever had the means to move the promotion forward on his wrestling ability alone. The less said about Joey Ryan, the better. And this isn't a case of LOL TNA as the critics like to say, because every promotion has gone through some form of grievance with the speaking out movement. For the past few days everyone has been talking about Impact and that's a good thing. This is the wrestling business and people need drama and the company wants publicity or there would be nothing to talk about. Impact needs to improve on a number of areas such as their main event scene (as all pro wrestling companies do), but they are far from pressing the reset button on everything just because they've lost 2 mid-carders and 2 main-eventers.

·
Registered
5,589 Posts
Can't rebuild it. You put the world title on a woman. That's it. It's over. It's not worth anything anymore. They have to change the name of the entire company at this point.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Are you sure about that?? Who makes more money?? Who's got a better roster?? Did Impact sell out MSG...ever? Let's be fair.... they are both rebuilding, and both battling for #3...as neither of them "want" to invest the same money as WWE/AEW.

They are certainly comparable at this point, even though they cater to different audiences. I think Impact focuses on the comprehensive 2 hours TV show, which is their advantage. Plus a very strong women's division. ROH has a 1 hour show on Fox Sports...but a mix of highlights of their live events. So ROH is trying to make their money more off of HonorClub. Where as Impact Plus is kind of a afterthought/bonus.. since Impact has the 2 hour show.

Who in impact really stacks up with people like Jay Lethal, Rush, Dragon Lee, Bandido, Jeff Cobb, Jonathan Gresham, Brody King, Marty Scurll , Matt Taven, Flip Gordon, The Briscoes, Mark Haskins, Dalton Castle etc, etc Most of the Impact roster is guys who didn't make the cut for ROH... or legends way past their prime like Shamrock, RVD,

I believe in PPVs buys are about even. Viewership is hard to say, but i gotta think Fox Sports reach is better than AXS tv. Gotta believe more people on Honorclub than Impact Plus.

Don't get me wrong.... i enjoy both companies for what they are.... but i just don't think saying Impact is "way bigger' than ROH at this point. If you don't watch, or follow ROH on HonorClub i could see why you would think that. TNA/Impact has had to write off major financial losses multiple times in their lifetime. ROH was only in financial issues one time in like 18 years, and it was mainly because it was a one man operation, not ready to lead a major organization. Until impact proves they are financially stable for more than a year or two , they really aren't that different.

·
Registered
9,236 Posts
At first i hated that EC3 and a few other guys might be going back to Impact. I loved impact for many many yearsbut this past year made me think they dont ever plan on focusing its vision in growing. I wanted them to go to AEW because they might be heading down big things in a year. But now i sense Impact has a lot of change once again coming up.

I dont think Impacts cheap vision has been working and the roster has been a joke. With a massive roster shake up and storylines this could be exactly what they needed.

They also should have belts that don't look like toys so people can take them serious.

I think Tesas world championship run will shoot down any women winning the belt again. Which isgood.there should be a women belt and a man belt. No reason to have a mixed belt to pretend youre politically correct when thats far from what its like in real life.

Until that happens in mma and its real then we can talk.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Don't kid yourself, NJPW sold out MSG. ROH were just the side order.
100 recent!
Ok, if that's the case... why did these NPW shows in the US not sell so well?

NJPW in California - G1 Special... 2,300
G1 Climax 29 - Dallas 4,800

New Beginnings Tour -
Tampa -800
Nashville -560
Durham - 637
maimi -525
Atlanta - 825

Or the other people say that the "bullet Club / Elite" sold the venue.... which is true too. NJPW helped, Bullet Club/Elite helped. But so did ROH itself. The promotion has been growing for 18 years, and this was a big moment for the company.

I'm not going to bicker back and forth on who is better... but don't kid yourself that Impact is "way ahead" of ROH.

·
Registered
9,236 Posts
Ok, if that's the case... why did these NPW shows in the US not sell so well?

NJPW in California - G1 Special... 2,300
G1 Climax 29 - Dallas 4,800

New Beginnings Tour -
Tampa -800
Nashville -560
Durham - 637
maimi -525
Atlanta - 825

Or the other people say that the "bullet Club / Elite" sold the venue.... which is true too. NJPW helped, Bullet Club/Elite helped. But so did ROH itself. The promotion has been growing for 18 years, and this was a big moment for the company.

I'm not going to bicker back and forth on who is better... but don't kid yourself that Impact is "way ahead" of ROH.

It was a one time thing for both companies. Very un likely to happen again any time soon. A lot of it is timing with many factors and they got lucky

·
Registered
165 Posts
Dixie Carter >>> Anthem

tna 2005 - 2014 roster >>>> 2020 roster

TNA 2005 - 2014 RATINGS >>>> THE RATINGS NOW

hulk hogan eric bischoff ERA >>> IMPACT NOW

From STING - RVD - FOLEY as world champion >> women become world champion

vince russo >>>
Scott D'Amore
Don Callis

the
Production
now sucks

·
Registered
720 Posts
It was a one time thing for both companies. Very un likely to happen again any time soon. A lot of it is timing with many factors and they got lucky
Sure... we'll chalk it up to "Luck" .... I do agree agree it's unlikely to happen again any time soon, but also no one is even running shows with live audiences.... and Ring of Honor isn't running shows now.

·
Banned
801 Posts
Are you sure about that?? Who makes more money?? Who's got a better roster?? Did Impact sell out MSG...ever? Let's be fair.... they are both rebuilding, and both battling for #3...as neither of them "want" to invest the same money as WWE/AEW.

They are certainly comparable at this point, even though they cater to different audiences. I think Impact focuses on the comprehensive 2 hours TV show, which is their advantage. Plus a very strong women's division. ROH has a 1 hour show on Fox Sports...but a mix of highlights of their live events. So ROH is trying to make their money more off of HonorClub. Where as Impact Plus is kind of a afterthought/bonus.. since Impact has the 2 hour show.

Who in impact really stacks up with people like Jay Lethal, Rush, Dragon Lee, Bandido, Jeff Cobb, Jonathan Gresham, Brody King, Marty Scurll , Matt Taven, Flip Gordon, The Briscoes, Mark Haskins, Dalton Castle etc, etc Most of the Impact roster is guys who didn't make the cut for ROH... or legends way past their prime like Shamrock, RVD,

I believe in PPVs buys are about even. Viewership is hard to say, but i gotta think Fox Sports reach is better than AXS tv. Gotta believe more people on Honorclub than Impact Plus.

Don't get me wrong.... i enjoy both companies for what they are.... but i just don't think saying Impact is "way bigger' than ROH at this point. If you don't watch, or follow ROH on HonorClub i could see why you would think that. TNA/Impact has had to write off major financial losses multiple times in their lifetime. ROH was only in financial issues one time in like 18 years, and it was mainly because it was a one man operation, not ready to lead a major organization. Until impact proves they are financially stable for more than a year or two , they really aren't that different.
Yes im sure about that and Impact makes more money than ROH and its not even close. They don't need to sell out MSG by piggybacking off of NJPW like ROH did and they have a better roster than ROH as well. Lol they're both not "battling" for number 3 since Impact are the default number 3 company in the U.S by a wide marging and its already reported that Impact are offering big money to their young talent to re-sign and the guys WWE released to sign. Also Impact sold out the odeum arena last year which seats 6k people

So they draw bigger crowds than ROH as well on average.

Impact plus has more subscribers than Honorclub and Impact focuses on characters while ROH just focuses on matches which doesn't draw and never will with 0 storylines.

Well lets see Sami Callihan, The Noryh, The Rascalz, TJP, Rich Swann, and Willie Mack. Lol most of the guys in ROH are old broke down guys that couldn't cut it in Impact and guys that WWE AND Impact didn't want.

Impact draws better than ROH in PPV buys, they get on average 200-300k viewers on AXS according to Tommy Dreamer who works for Impact and according to Bin Hamin, and you're wrong about everything that you've written.

🤣 ROH has been in financial troubles since it first began, and they had financial troubles just last year and almost went out of business in 2011 and almost went out of business last year. ROH has lost plenty of money which is why Sinclair almost sold them to Anthem last year and Impact are profitable while ROH is a money pit. Heres an Impact employee even admitting that the company is profitable "Company is doing real well. They hVe huge tv deals overseas, ratings will be coming out here soon, they have tv filmed until April 14, filming 7 more weeks this week. Things will be great again after this BS is done."

So you were wrong about literally EVERYTHING that you said. Impact are clearly bigger than ROH. Impact is profitable ROH isn't and almost went out of business numerous times even with Sinclair as their owner, Impact plus has more subscribers than Honorclub, and Impact gets better viewership and jas more PPV buys than ROH. Impact also gets better attendance than ROH. Impact does better than ROH in every way possible.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts