Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
6,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They bring in Katie Lea as 'Winter' - fine, their problem when all of the KOs end up badly injured - but do they really have to recycle the old WCW disappearing magical mirror bullshit they pulled with Warrior?

I mean, really, it was awful the first time. It's not even convincing when Taker pulls that shit.

I'd still be pissed off that they hired such a talentless wench, but they could at least have taken it seriously. And she really shouldn't promo, she's awful at it. At best, she sounds like she's high. At worst, she sounds like she's stupid.

Anyway, yeah, just watching Impact, needed to rant. But discuss anyway: Is this really the WCW storyline they should be recycling?

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
I've also seen it done recently as part of a storyline in Chikara Pro, except the wrestler was in the ring and saw someone in the entrance way.

that is'nt believable at all.

·
Premium Member
4,195 Posts
One thing I like about TNA (even now) is that all of the KO's are not the same. The Divas are interchangeable. All of them. In WWE you are either the happy go lucky always smiling and skipping down the ring babyface (Gail Kim, Kelly Kelly, The Bellas, etc.) or the 'sassy' heel that walks to the ring with hands on hips (Maxine, Alicia Fox, Layla, etc). There is nothing separating them personality wise.

In TNA its different. I don't mind TNA taking creative risks like they have done thus far with Winter. Why? Because its different. She isn't just another hot chick walking around and tying it up in the ring. She has her own gimmick and she stands out. It only one episode so we have to let it run for some time and see where it goes, but I have never seen a company to be so bold to have this done with a woman (seen is done with men tons of time) so I want to see what happens...

·
Banned
6,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've also seen it done recently as part of a storyline in Chikara Pro, except the wrestler was in the ring and saw someone in the entrance way.

that is'nt believable at all.
In fairness, not a lot of things Chikara do are believable. If you talk to Chikara marks it's because they're 'not a serious promotion' or 'it's supposed to be weird/funny/whatever' - personally, I just think Chikara as a whole is shit, but that's pretty irrelevant. LOL.

·
Premium Member
4,195 Posts
Also, one cannot argue about things being 'believable' in TNA as nothing ever is and none of it makes sense. Having its first (?) supernatural wrestler is step in the right direction.

·
Banned
6,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Also, one cannot argue about things being 'believable' in TNA as nothing ever is and none of it makes sense. Having its first (?) supernatural wrestler is step in the right direction.
She wouldn't be the first; Trytan ran the supernatural gimmick for a while, Sting has pulled it to an extent, too.

·
Premium Member
15,438 Posts
Abyss had a supernatural HOF ring too. He can also brand and kill humans without getting fired or going to jail. I'd consider that supernatural.

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
Beliveable probably was'nt the right word.

What i meant to say was there are some things that fans are just not going to go along with.
Unless they quickly end the "only i can see you" bit, i dont see fans buying into it.

·
Banned
6,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Unless they quickly end the "only i can see you" bit, i dont see fans buying into it.
This is my point. WCW ran an angle where Hogan could see Warrior in the mirror. We, at home, could clearly see Warrior in the mirror. Yet, oddly, none of the nWo, who were in the room at the time, could see Warrior in the mirror. More brilliantly still, Tony Schiavone could see Warrior in the mirror, but Heenan couldn't. And they were watching the same monitor!

This Winter thing could - and probably will - head the same way, rapidly. It's an angle which just can't work. You can't have Angelina able to see her and talk to her, but Velvet be in the same room - and clearly so, you could see all three of them in the mirror before the camera panned away - and not see her when we can also see her is fucking retarded.

It's wrestlecrap in the making.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
There have been, and will continue to be, stupider things in wrestling.

Give it a chance. Just one promo, and already it's a doomed storyline? Right. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
43,686 Posts
Here's why the segment didn't work:

you have an audience that can see what's going on and commentators that can see what's going on & can comment on it. And since the commentators are characters within this fictional universe & the characters within this universe can interact with the live crowd, then you can't do segments where the characters act like there is no live camera feed on them. Why didn't the cameraman just tell Velvet "Hey, there was this girl here. Angelina's not mistaking" or hell, why didn't Angelina ask the Cameraman to confirm her story? And hell, why wouldn't Angelina & Velvet go back & watch Impact and then say "See Velvet, I told you". Nothing about the way the segment was prevented makes any sense at all, and it was a poor debut for Katie Lea.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Here's why the segment didn't work:

you have an audience that can see what's going on and commentators that can see what's going on & can comment on it. And since the commentators are characters within this fictional universe & the characters within this universe can interact with the live crowd, then you can't do segments where the characters act like there is no live camera feed on them. Why didn't the cameraman just tell Velvet "Hey, there was this girl here. Angelina's not mistaking" or hell, why didn't Angelina ask the Cameraman to confirm her story? And hell, why wouldn't Angelina & Velvet go back & watch Impact and then say "See Velvet, I told you". Nothing about the way the segment was prevented makes any sense at all, and it was a poor debut for Katie Lea.
Actually, that logic is true for most backstage segments, it's not just that one.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts