Wrestling Forum banner

Really disappointed in the Punk/Orton build up.

5595 Views 74 Replies 59 Participants Last post by  Shawn Morrison
I'm really not sure what happened...

Punk had so much momentum after his brief stint as a ring announcer. He was without a doubt the top heel in the company, and while I didn't understand him taking over the Nexus, I thought they probably had a real plan for it that would make sense. At first, it seemed he was going to turn them into a cult, and really build on the potential the Straight Edge Society had. With Mason Ryan joining, it seemed they'd given him an unstoppable monster to put at his side, and the tools he would need to truly dominate RAW.

Then his focus switched from Cena to Orton, they stopped giving either of them promo's, the new Nexus is basically over after a series of punts to the head, and it basically looks like the WWE decided to abandon whatever plans they had originally. I don't know what those plans were, but where we are now can't possibly what they were going for when they originally had Punk take over the new Nexus.

So what went wrong? Both Punk and Orton are diminished by this feud at this point, and the only thing I can point to is the constant booking of Orton as utterly unstoppable.

These two need to get into the ring at the same time as equals and generate some excitement for this pronto, because there is no reason this feud should feel so flat.
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

· Registered
2,283 Posts
I have enjoyed it myself, i thought the staredown they had this week was good and now they have two more weeks where its just the two of them, i have a feeling this is leading to someone else helping Punk win at Wrestlemania to continue the fued.

· Registered
4,251 Posts
he did seem pretty godlike when he came back from being an announcer but they didnt really seem like they wanted to continue the nexus thing full force so its not really punks fault.
im not really sure what they could of done either, husky and macilitcutty sucked balls and nexus normally just did beat downs anyway. doing a better job than the corre still.

· Registered
4,950 Posts
he did seem pretty godlike when he came back from being an announcer but they didnt really seem like they wanted to continue the nexus thing full force so its not really punks fault.
im not really sure what they could of done either, husky and macilitcutty sucked balls and nexus normally just did beat downs anyway. doing a better job than the corre still.
The Corre even on bad booking looks more like the original Nexus than the New Nexus did.

· Resident Old Man
3,695 Posts
I don't see what is so bad about it. Orton has gotten rid of Nexus, so now Punk and Orton one-on-one. They still have, what, three weeks to build their feud. It seems like it will be good, at least because of Punk.

· Registered
484 Posts
I'm also pretty disappointed in it. Having Orton eliminate each member of Nexus one by one makes them look shit weak. Hopefully it gets better.

· The Sundance Kid
47,276 Posts
I'm hoping there's a bigger picture. It seems like CM Punk has been manipulating Orton into punting the members of Nexus. Hope there's something to it and we're not just in for Orton punting CM Punk in the skull at Wrestlemania.

· Registered
2,631 Posts
I think it was a mistake to give Punk the lead of Nexus, he was more solid as a single contender (and Nexus completely lost his pack of wwe-rejects look) other than that Orton is boring as usual and it doesn't help the feud.

· Proud Pastafarian =)
4,066 Posts
It's one of the most interesting feud heading into Mania

Only thing i haven't really liked is Orton punting everyone. I wish they would have at least kept Mason Ryan as Punk's enforcer

· Registered
101 Posts
I guess I am a little confused as well. As much as I hate having family being brought into feuds I though with the cameras cutting to Orton's wife and kid, Punk would use them as a distraction to allow Ryan a win. Out of everyone in the Nexus I though that Ryan was the one to beat Punk. Hopefully these next 3 weeks will build up to a great match between the two at Mania.

· Premium Member
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I don't see what is so bad about it. Orton has gotten rid of Nexus, so now Punk and Orton one-on-one. They still have, what, three weeks to build their feud. It seems like it will be good, at least because of Punk.
I'm fine with it coming down to a one on one match between Orton and Punk, but why sink 2 months of storyline into Punk taking over the Nexus, if in the end they planned to just split it up. At the conclusion of the Nexus/Cena storyline, Nexus was already split up and done, they resurrected it for no real reason that I can tell. Orton had already been RKO'ing everything in site for months, he certainly didn't need to go through the resurrected Nexus to be seen as a credible threat to Punk.

No, I'm pretty sure they had something else entirely planned, and when they decided to go a different way, just figured they'd have Randy eliminate the Nexus to make it a 1 on 1 match. There is still time, they could salvage it, but next week better be pretty awesome.

Anyone know when they officially signed the Rock back? I'm kinda wondering if the original plan was Punk and the new Nexus versus Cena at WM, and then when the Rock deal got done and they had the chance to do Rock v. Cena, they stuck Randy with Punk and went this direction instead.

· Registered
2,734 Posts
Wrestlemania is april 3rd.

So this gives punk and orton 2 weeks of solid build. Punk can cut an excellent promo next week involving orton.

and we can have that final face off the raw before mania.

Getting the nexus out of the picture really helps the feud, but i think it would have been easier if they had just barred the new nexus from mania instead of orton punting them all. But it does get orton over as a legit badass, which would make it that much more shocking when punk goes over at mania which i see happening this year.

I'm actually liking the build, some may have seen the face off on monday as cheesy but i saw it as intense and wonderful.

The real problem is that punk should have abandoned the feud with cena at first if they weren't going to face each other at WM. It would have been better if punk had attacked orton at first with the chair. It would have given these 2 a great build after 3 months.

Instead of cena vs nexus for the first one and a half months, then immediately punk vs orton for the next 1 and a half.

I would have loved a solid 3-4 month punk vs orton feud, holding off the epic confrontation until mania, kinda like sting and hogan at starrcade, that was built amazingly by having them not fight eachother at starrcade.

· Registered
101 Posts
Wrestlemania is april 3rd.

So this gives punk and orton 2 weeks of solid build. Punk can cut an excellent promo next week involving orton.

and we can have that final face off the raw before mania.

Getting the nexus out of the picture really helps the feud, but i think it would have been easier if they had just barred the new nexus from mania instead of orton punting them all. But it does get orton over as a legit badass, which would make it that much more shocking when punk goes over at mania which i see happening this year.

I'm actually liking the build, some may have seen the face off on monday as cheesy but i saw it as intense and wonderful
I think it shows that Punk is genuinely afraid of Orton, it will be interesting to see how Punk responds now that he doesn't have his cronies to go out and do his bidding. Won't be surprised to see a Punk/Miz vs Orton/Cena main event at Raw next week.

· Registered
2,734 Posts
I think it shows that Punk is genuinely afraid of Orton, it will be interesting to see how Punk responds now that he doesn't have his cronies to go out and do his bidding. Won't be surprised to see a Punk/Miz vs Orton/Cena main event at Raw next week.
NO, if wwe does this then that's stupid.

They need to keep these guys away from each other, let them fight at mania don't waste their first fight be on raw and not at mania.

· Registered
101 Posts
NO, if wwe does this then that's stupid.

They need to keep these guys away from each other, let them fight at mania don't waste their first fight be on raw and not at mania.
Its either that or it will be Miz v Orton and Punk v Cena. Put it this way I will not be shocked if these 4 are not in some match with one another on RAW. What else are they going to do?!

· Banned
3,762 Posts
corre > nexus.

barrett is much more believable and fresh as a leader. Punk is a bit stale after his run as leader in ses and cutting same damn promo every week. Punk is much better heel though.

problem lies on Orton's booking. one day he loses clean (to punk at ec) and on the other day he squashes 5 at one time.. it's just not consistent and people are not very favorable to superman wrestlers nowadays.

· Banned
18,124 Posts
Meh, it's not bad, but it's not very good either. I'm disappointed they kicked out Ryan.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.