Wrestling Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Breaking kayfabe to get over.
1,377 Posts
The GOAT commentator and one of the best minds in the history of the business. Seriously, every time I hear him give his thoughts on wrestling, be it on the Legends of Wrestling, his podcast, etc, he is always spot on with what he has to say.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I haven't listened to his podcast, but I'll always love his commentary. When I met him though he was a huge asshole to me: very dismissive and kind of nasty. I emailed him about it and he apologized personally saying he remembered it and wasn't feeling well that day. I'll always respect him for doing that.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
For his commentary I thought he was amazing when it was a ppv or something big was happening on raw but tbh his constant ott hyperbole style used to wear thin week in week out in the 90s sometimes, I seem to be the only person who thinks this though so ah well

·
Registered
230 Posts
JR was a fantastic commentator. My favourite of all time was the late, great Gorilla Monsoon, his dialogue with Bobby Heenan was absolutely sensational. But after those two legends, I would possibly rank JR next. He was so enthusiastic and I will always remember his repeating of the guys name after a big moment.

"Tyson, Tyson, Tyson" or "Austin, Austin, Austin"

I always thought JR and Paul Heyman had a good rapport and chemistry together.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
I want to give my real opinions but I am afraid I am forced to cleanly dress them up in a corporately compromised manner, even though I don't work for that corporation, and the owner of which repeatedly humiliates me and makes fun of my condition. Maybe I deserve it because I don't speak up or give my real opinion on things.

·
Premium Member
808 Posts
I think him and Heyman together was genius.

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
GOAT Commentator like everyone has said. I've heard not a lot of wrestlers like him though, anyone have any info on that?

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
One of the better commentators of all time but not the GOAT announcer that many of the AE younger generation fans think he is. Personally, I would put Lance Russell and Gordon Solie higher on the list. As someone mentioned earlier Gorilla Monsoon was a great announcer and maybe the best I have seen in the WWE. IMHO, JR was better in the NWA than in the WWE.

·
Registered
15,835 Posts
Amazing talent scout and great wrestling mind. More importantly, great but overrated commnetator. He understands the business well and can get talent over, but I've always found him to be overrated with all the GOAT talk. When you have Ventura sitting out there, I just can't give him that nod. Jesse was the perfect colour/play by play you can get... it's even more obvoius when you watch early WCW and see the two commentate on the same show.. Jesse is just better. Not taking away from JR though, because he make the short list of commentators to take if you had the option.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Amazing talent scout and great wrestling mind. More importantly, great but overrated commnetator. He understands the business well and can get talent over, but I've always found him to be overrated with all the GOAT talk. When you have Ventura sitting out there, I just can't give him that nod. Jesse was the perfect colour/play by play you can get... it's even more obvoius when you watch early WCW and see the two commentate on the same show.. Jesse is just better. Not taking away from JR though, because he make the short list of commentators to take if you had the option.
I actually think one of the best broadcast duos was Schiavone and Jesse together. The two just had great chemistry.

·
Banned
724 Posts
Overrated, as shown by everyone anointing him GOAT in this thread. Great commentator yes, but Gorilla Monsoon was better at play by play, and Jesse Ventura and Bobby Heenan were better at color. Not trying to denigrate JR because I was a big fan, but he's not the GOAT.

·
Banned
1,657 Posts
Overrated, as shown by everyone anointing him GOAT in this thread. Great commentator yes, but Gorilla Monsoon was better at play by play, and Jesse Ventura and Bobby Heenan were better at color. Not trying to denigrate JR because I was a big fan, but he's not the GOAT.
No. Just no. Gorilla Monsoon was an abomination.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
One of the greatest commentators of all time. That is backed by numerous wrestlers saying the exact same thing, most being world champions. Also a great eye for talent. But yeah, his podcast can be a little off. His one with Lita had a few cringe moments.

·
#HAIRBEAR #TEAMPALE
5,250 Posts
couldn't care less. he was the best commentator they've had. made the shows so much better with his emotion.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts