Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
1,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This will not be a RAW sucks or anti-WWE thread.

I just sincerely feel like all these feuds and stories are confusing and lack a definite climax. After pretty much every RAW I no longer find myself hopefully anticipating a person to retaliate or win, I just feel like I watch the next show to resolve my brain.

Like an abused spouse, I dangerously keep coming back to the product in hopes of resolution or greatness. I think when I watched as a kid, I had this surprised expectation. Now I have a surprised letdown.

In general though, with 2 wins for Sheamus and Punk now for the titles and Cena beating Lesnar after that mauling, does anyone else just feel mindfucked instead of conflict resolution? I mean these rivalries and stories are choppy and never feel over. What gives?

·
What?
13,511 Posts
Well Extreme Rules in recent years has become the blow-off PPV for Wrestlemania (which is dumb I think because Wrestlemania used to be the blow-off) and there's a definite direction. They have to make the audience want to tune in next week and they seem to be doing it pretty well.

Cena is injured, Brock is a beast.

Punk and Jericho are finished.

Sheamus and Bryan are finished.

Layla is back.

Orton and Kane is seemingly (hopefully) done.

The only thing that really hasn't been resolved is Cody/Show. Seems pretty standard to me, it will make more sense after Raw tomorrow (i.e we will get an idea of the bigger picture).

·
Registered
791 Posts
Well Extreme Rules in recent years has become the blow-off PPV for Wrestlemania (which is dumb I think because Wrestlemania used to be the blow-off) and there's a definite direction. They have to make the audience want to tune in next week and they seem to be doing it pretty well.

Layla is back.

The only thing that really hasn't been resolved is Cody/Show. Seems pretty standard to me, it will make more sense after Raw tomorrow (i.e we will get an idea of the bigger picture).

Wrestlemania was never the blow-off for most feuds or the big ones that matter anyway. They usually extend Mania programs to backlash and vengeance mostly.

·
Registered
12,426 Posts

Layla is back.

I respectfully disagree. The fluctuating ratings indicate that people really aren't anticipating the next week's show, which means the Fed isn't doing its job. Last night's horrendous finish to the main event, I think, is going to hurt things. Brock was a beast, yeah, but now that he's lost, he doesn't look like it now. Remember how he was booked in his initial debut? He so badly needed that kind of booking here, and didn't get it. Why?

·
There is no duty we so much underrate as... being
19,155 Posts
Could be worse. Last year at this time we still had another three weeks of a feud between announcers to endure. A feud which was given the best build-up of all the matches at WRESTLEMANIA. And then, did not find any resolution at Wrestlemania, in Atlanta, Georgia, only a few hundred miles away from Jerry Lawler's Mecca of Memphis, Tennessee, after months and months of a careful, assiduously built narrative reaching its natural climactic stage in the final weeks going into Wrestlemania, but rather was blown off at Over the Limit in front of like 3,500 fans in Seattle, Washington seven weeks later, long after anybody gave a fuck about any of it. Then the heel antagonist announcer showed up the next night like nothing happened and business as usual was re-initiated. Mindfuck does not do that justice.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Less of a mind fuck, and more like not giving a fuck on behalf of creative.

We're all just along for the ride. Slaves to this thing called the WWE.

·
In Jericho, we trust
2,805 Posts
Could be worse. Last year at this time we still had another three weeks of a feud between announcers to endure. A feud which was given the best build-up of all the matches at WRESTLEMANIA. And then, did not find any resolution at Wrestlemania, in Atlanta, Georgia, only a few hundred miles away from Jerry Lawler's Mecca of Memphis, Tennessee, after months and months of a careful, assiduously built narrative reaching its natural climactic stage in the final weeks going into Wrestlemania, but rather was blown off at Over the Limit in front of like 3,500 fans in Seattle, Washington seven weeks later, long after anybody gave a fuck about any of it. Then the heel antagonist announcer showed up the next night like nothing happened and business as usual was re-initiated. Mindfuck does not do that justice.
That was...well, words can really describe how painful that was for me to sit through. Looking back on it I can't help but feel it's longevity was forced almost in desperation. Perhaps it was used as some kind of wake-up call for younger guy to step it up? It isn't the first time the company has used national television to vent their frustrations.

Fortunately, I can't see the same "choppiness" from the outcomes as the OP fears will occur. There does seem to be a greater sense of resolution from the title matches, which may wind down into a week of 'serenity' (in storytelling terms of course) or completely halt altogether. I can, however, see a diversion made from Bryan's feud with Sheamus into a storyline with AJ as a major figure.

One thing I've noticed around here is that people proclaim their loyalty to the company despite lambasting the creative aspect. You are older now; keep in mind your tastes change as well. Perhaps this lowbrow form of ADHD-inspired entertainment that sports entertainment churns out is past you now?

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
I disagree. The WWE and WHC matches did feel like they had a definite resolution, Sheamus proved he didn't need AJ distracting Bryan and Punk beat Jericho in front of his family. Kane and Orton.....not sure, I'll give you that, but it's expected of any Kane feud. Show and Cody for sure isn't over and lastly the Cena/Lesnar match is really building to something that will hopefully develop further tonight. Cena won the battle, but he's still fucked. Sure he got the pinfall, but come Raw, Lesnar will be in a hell of a better condition and pissed as hell he lost. Add to that Cena's speech. It's way too soon for this one to be over.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts