Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ever since the Mr. McMahon character became one of the greatest (if not THE greatest) heels in the history of pro-wrestling, WWE seems to be stuck on the idea of always having some sort of authority figure on each of their two main shows, Raw and Smackdown. Sure, the person playing the authority figure may change, but the basic premise has remained the same : they're the person who in kayfabe, has control over the roster, books matches, and can hire or fire new talent. Sometimes this character is a face, and sometimes they're a heel. And as long as I've been following WWE, they've always had someone to fill that role.

But of course, it wasn't always that way. Sure, sometimes you would here people make reference to people running things, but they weren't really a part of the show in the way they are now. And that seemed to work just fine as far as storylines and angles go. Heck, I haven't seen a whole lot of ROH, but they seem to manage putting on a good show without any authority figure character. Granted, that's a smaller market compared to WWE, and they only have an hour of TV time to fill a week.

But still, I wonder, do we really need authority figures in WWE Television? The whole concept of the heel authority figure seems pretty well played out, and I'm not sure what any future authority figures could do in the future that hasn't been done already. Plus, as other people have pointed out, a heel authority figure doesn't always make a lot of sense. For example, if Triple H and Steph hate Daniel Bryan so much, why wouldn't they just fire him? I'm not saying we need to get rid of it completely, but having the concept take a backseat for a few years might be a good way to shake things up a bit.

So what do you think? Do Authority Figures still have a place in WWE? Would you like to see WWE get rid of them, or tweak the concept somehow to decrease their screen time? Do you think they would? Or has the idea become too ingrained in their company at this point?

Edit: Just to be clear, I'm talking about Authority Figures in general, and not just "The Authority".

·
Premium Member
6,589 Posts
It does need Authority figures I think.

But this whole Authority angle for the past 18 months with Stephanie and HHH has run it's course. It's over bearing and repetitive and simple not fun to watch anymore.

I do think there is a place for authority figures but enough is enough with HHH and Steph.

·
Premium Member
3,109 Posts
Problem with the authority is they take up too much screen time. A short backstage segment is all they should appear for.

Just let the talent feud among themselves.

·
Blessed Child of God
2,915 Posts
We definitely do NOT need the authority figures onscreen. They take up valuable time that could be used for an actual match and say and do the exact same things week in and week out. It's time for them to GO!

·
Registered
325 Posts
I think that authority figures are awesome, it's very easy to hate them and it's great when a superstar gets to have the pay-off like Bryan last year. Of course, you have to know how to do them, like The Authority angle takes too much time but I think that Vickie back on Smackdown did a good job

To me, it's just one of the cheesy things that makes the WWE. Like the useless contract signing or wedding that always ends up in a huge bullshit

·
Vaporizing the Opposition
1,075 Posts
I think authority figures give the show direction but they have taken it way too far and made the focus on themselves too much. They are also using way too many old guys that no one cares about to be their muscle. Get rid of Big Show, Kane, Mercury & Noble and put some of the new guys in the limelight. But really they just need to end this particular storyline altogether.

They could do just as much making occasional appearances when necessary and having a heelish ring announcer/manager give short promos at the beginning of the show to set things up, with it known that HHH & Steph are pulling all the strings.

Reactions: Fringe

·
Premium Member
3,682 Posts
I love heel authority figures generally and this particular heel authority group far more than most.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I think it can go either way. But, you have to give the fans a break every once in awhile. Even Vince took time off here and there to "heal" or whatever during the attitude era. The show is becoming stale with the same basic story using the same guys over and over again. Make Raw 2 hours again. How about HHH and Steph get pissed at each other and split the brands and use the roster to fight their own battle against each other. Just an idea which at this point no idea is a bad one but maybe not the best one.

·
Banned
1,455 Posts
Whenever I get tired of The Authority segments, I remember that previous authority figures were Mike Adamale, teddy long and Vicky fucking Guerrero...

FUCK. THAT. We've got it good right now.

But I do agree that they need to back up on the amount they're featured. One backstage segment a show with HHH and Steph is enough really. NXT has it perfectly with William Regal, there'll be a backstage segment where he'll make a match or he'll present a segment like the contract signing but that's it.

I would love if WWE decided to see what it was like to just let the talent fight amongst themselves for a year. Just let the feuds control the show. No overbearing evil authority figures. Just the wrestlers but I genuinely don't think the WWE know how to book shows without authority figures in there somehow.

honestly the biggest problem I have with the authority is the talent involved. If I was The Authority, fuck having big show and kane there. That doesn't look imposing at all, rollins is the only legit and interesting person they have.

Get people like Sheamus, Barrett, Cesaro/Kidd, Ascension, just a lot of new or at least current blood to be your stable/enforcers.

·
Kerser is the sickest.
1,506 Posts
What would the explanation be for matches being made without the authority figures though? If a feud is progressing, who's responsible for putting the matches together between feuding superstars?

·
Premium Member
842 Posts
I think a neutral authority figure is needed, but not necessarily one that takes up a ton of screen time. Just a face to put to the idea of the 'boss.'

Like DG89 said Regal is the perfect example of this, he isn't really face or heel and he's only in the segments that need him, fans know by the segments he's in that Regal makes all of NXT's matches, handles talent etc.

Without an authority figure it would look like talent drew names out of a hat or something to decide matches.

·
Registered
11,213 Posts
I think it would feel really fresh to not have an on-screen authority figure. Although, it would increase the degree of difficulty of writing the shows.

·
Banned
7,451 Posts
Ever since Eric Bischoff left Tony Schiavone and Bobby Hennan and revealed himself as the guy perpetrating the nWo.

WWE copied WCW, and did the same thing with Vince leaving Jim Ross and Jerry Lawler and becoming Mr. McMahon a guy who hates Stone Cold and believes Bret Hart screwed Bret Hart.

·
Premium Member
5,911 Posts
I like having an on screen authority figure, but they should only appear on tv in brief segments.

·
Registered
5,706 Posts
There always needs to be some sort of Authority figure to make things tick over otherwise it would just be a free for all.

People complained about HHH and Steph getting too much TV time then they left and people moaned that the product wasn't as good anymore.

HHH truly is best for business. I like his authority role and he plays it to perfection. I wouldn't want to see the product without any sort of figure in charge.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts