Wrestling Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
In other areas of fiction I dont mind nor do I have a problem with but with the context of pro wrestling I just dont see the entertainment value in it.
It's the same as any other genre of fiction.

On some level being a fan of pro wrestling requires a suspension of disbelief. A basic irish whip is one of the least realistic things you can imagine happening in a fight, but it's one of the fundamentals of pro wrestling so everybody just pretends like it's not ridiculous.

To me, a female wrestler beating up a male wrestler is no more ridiculous than Rey Mysterio beating up Big Show. Or Hulk Hogan's leg drop magically being 20 times more devastating than anybody else's. Or The Rock's People's Elbow being more powerful because he dances around like a moron for 15 seconds before he drops it.

·
The Empire will Reign again
16,455 Posts
It's the same as any other genre of fiction.

On some level being a fan of pro wrestling requires a suspension of disbelief. A basic irish whip is one of the least realistic things you can imagine happening in a fight, but it's one of the fundamentals of pro wrestling so everybody just pretends like it's not ridiculous.

To me, a female wrestler beating up a male wrestler is no more ridiculous than Rey Mysterio beating up Big Show. Or Hulk Hogan's leg drop magically being 20 times more devastating than anybody else's. Or The Rock's People's Elbow being more powerful because he dances around like a moron for 15 seconds before he drops it.
So because wrestling is unrealistic in some places it should never try to be realistic? One of the most fundamental realities of humanity is that men on average are significantly bigger, stronger and faster than women; for a product that's supposed to take place in the real world, to ignore basic biology, to what end, how does this make the product better?

People keep mentioning cartoons and superhero movies and video games where women beat up men, they keep mentioning anecdotes of women competing with men in sports, but nobody has answered the question what's to be gained?

You bury your entire male roster, you ruin suspension of disbelief, you render the women's titles meaningless, you alienate a large portion of the fan base, you get criticism from domestic violence organizations, you turn off sponsors, all for what? So Charlotte can win the WHC and pad her resume some more?

·
I'm the world's greatest superhero. I can do whate
20,354 Posts
It looks nothing like spousal abuse. How many women in real life have been powerbombed through the table? How many police reports mention a piledriver on the living room floor?

Not that I care about intergender matches. Doing a mixed tag every once in awhile doesn't hurt, but I have no interest in seeing men vs. women on a normal basis.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
It depends on the context.

If it involves a dominant woman like Chyna or Ronda Rousey, or a tomboy like Jacqueline or Tessa Blanchard facing off against a male wrestler, then fine. Those kinds of women are believable going against men within wrestling.

If it’s a mixed intergender tag, like in Lucha Underground or AAA, then fine. Lucha libre isn’t the same as Japanese strong style. It’s much more easy going, and they’re all flying around like in a superhero comic book or tv show or movie anyway. And intergender conflicts are okay in a comic book setting. Plus AAA/LU leans into more adult themes in general, no matter how much it comes off as being safe for children.

If it is an angle like Dudleyz putting women through tables, fine, since there are limited ways for heels to get heel heat these days. Although I don’t expect stuff like this to happen anymore regardless.

Outside of that context, I don’t care to see intergender matches all that often. It’s only become an issue because of how PG WWE has become and has changed the business in a way that someone that watched and enjoyed the Attitude Era isn’t used to. That includes, but isn’t limited to, intergender conflict. Loosen up restrictions and it wouldn’t be such a big issue.

While intergender matches might work in some instances, in most situations, its actually problematic. If a cruiserweight goes toe to toe with a heavyweight/superheavyweight/giant and loses, and then a woman wrestler (along the lines of an Alexa Bliss or Bianca Belair) goes against the same heavyweight/superheavyweight/giant and wins, and the cruiserweight and the woman wrestler face each other in a match, why should I believe the cruiserweight wrestler would be able to take on the woman wrestler and win? I am far more likely to believe that the woman wrestler will throw the cruiserweight wrestler into the sixth row and essentially squash him to pick up an easy win. All suspension of disbelief will have been essentially destroyed. It would be even worse against a heavyweight male.

In a business that is considered to be masculine by the audience - which is why a distinction of a women’s division exists in the first place - that is also dependent on the believability of the performance to survive, it does no one any favours to have any male members of any roster to be emasculated by any females on the roster.

·
16,455 Posts
It looks nothing like spousal abuse. How many women in real life have been powerbombed through the table? How many police reports mention a piledriver on the living room floor?

Not that I care about intergender matches. Doing a mixed tag every once in awhile doesn't hurt, but I have no interest in seeing men vs. women on a normal basis.
So if you put Roman against a woman with him throwing dozens of uppercut slaps, punches, kicks, clothelines that wouldn't look like a fairly realistic portrayal of domestic violence?

·
16,455 Posts
Depends on the woman. If it was someone like Nicole Bass, then definitely not.
Well isn't that the problem with intergender wrestling, that only very specific matchups work? You can do Brock vs Rey and nobody flinches, but do Brock vs Alexa Bliss and the world would explode. Hell, if you did Buddy Murphy vs Alexa Bliss the world would explode, imagine him giving her a kamigoye, imagine the DV support groups getting ahold of the narrative that they used to date and putting it with a gif of him kneeing her into oblivion.

That's a wrap for Progressive as a sponsor, and KFC, Snickers, and probably any other publicly traded company.

·
None. More. Hated.
5,280 Posts
So because wrestling is unrealistic in some places it should never try to be realistic? One of the most fundamental realities of humanity is that men on average are significantly bigger, stronger and faster than women; for a product that's supposed to take place in the real world, to ignore basic biology, to what end, how does this make the product better?

People keep mentioning cartoons and superhero movies and video games where women beat up men, they keep mentioning anecdotes of women competing with men in sports, but nobody has answered the question what's to be gained?

You bury your entire male roster, you ruin suspension of disbelief, you render the women's titles meaningless, you alienate a large portion of the fan base, you get criticism from domestic violence organizations, you turn off sponsors, all for what? So Charlotte can win the WHC and pad her resume some more?

Well you screwed up already saying men and women are different. Cant say that in 2020. Youll be a racist misogynist Trump lover.

·
Registered
6,721 Posts
Wrestling is simulated violence. Men beating up women is gross. If you want to be a dick about it, then it's bad marketing and PR.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I agree with Raven on this one. Plus, intergender matches are SO overdone now. I have 15 indies in our state I'd say at least 2/3rd's are regularly doing intergender matches often featuring a woman below 5'7 and 70 Kilos taking on men who are 5'10+ and maybe 90 KG+. The most recent high profile one featured a 6'0+ 110 KG+ guy taking on a 5'5 70 KG (If she's lucky) woman. The man beat the living shit out of her as a couple hundred geeks cheered and clapped.

It reminds me of when I first became an independent wrestling fan and everyone was doing death match stuff. Most shows would feature a random death match on the show for absolutely no reason then ROH plus TNA got hot and "pure wrestling" was hot for a few years and then it was comedy wrestling and now it's intergender. Give it a few years and it'll be something else.
All this shit started with ECW having their skanky valets DDT and pin male wrestlers.
When the girls won in ECW it was either due to a male wrestler practically giving her the pin or a circumstance like Beulah/Fonzie where a manager beat up another manager.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I agree with Raven on this one. Plus, intergender matches are SO overdone now. I have 15 indies in our state I'd say at least 2/3rd's are regularly doing intergender matches often featuring a woman below 5'7 and 70 Kilos taking on men who are 5'10+ and maybe 90 KG+. The most recent high profile one featured a 6'0+ 110 KG+ guy taking on a 5'5 70 KG (If she's lucky) woman. The man beat the living shit out of her as a couple hundred geeks cheered and clapped.

It reminds me of when I first became an independent wrestling fan and everyone was doing death match stuff. Most shows would feature a random death match on the show for absolutely no reason then ROH plus TNA got hot and "pure wrestling" was hot for a few years and then it was comedy wrestling and now it's intergender. Give it a few years and it'll be something else.

When the girls won in ECW it was either due to a male wrestler practically giving her the pin or a circumstance like Beulah/Fonzie where a manager beat up another manager.
I agree about more mixed content these days. There has to be a sort of believability in any match I think. At least to think both wrestlers have a chance going into the match. There are many bad mixed matches as you say, where the whole point is to see a woman squashed. If you have seen Tony Storm vs Tomothy Thatcher that's what I mean. I'm a fan of hers, but this is her being abused in my view. I don't know what she was paid to go through that! Part of me is a little fascinated by mixed matches, especially where Toni Storm is invoved!, but really in mainstream wrestling I don't think they have any place.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts