Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This week there have been 177k average viewers on AXS TV with a 0.04 rating for Impact (graphic by wrestlenomics https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EpZwdU1W8Acilkb?format=png&name=900x900 ). That's still significantly more than what the episodes draw on average, but quite a drop - same for twitch viewers. For comparison: Impact on AXS does usually ~150k, the episode headlined by Tenille Dashwood vs. Jordynne Grace did best with 200k viewers POLLOCK'S NEWS UPDATE: Breakdown of Impact's viewership in 2020 .

I think "The brand is the star" is still true about nowadays wrestling. There are a few people that can at least make some difference (as the fluctuating AXS numbers show), though nobody changes the game. If somebody else would be AEW champion and would come over to Impact the effect would imo have been pretty much the same last week. The viewership increase mainly happened because people are highly interested about an invasion storyline or similar AEW promotion cooperations. It's fresh, seems unpredictable and all the tensions around it were the hot topic leading up to last week.

I assume people will now still look on social media/youtube if Omega and Call make important announcements/indications in that direction (and may come back if it seems to happen), but just Omega appearing and pairing up with his buddies won't be interesting enough for people to watch the episode itself in the long run.
What do you think is the reason for the drop and will it increase again?

·
Registered
674 Posts
I dont understand what's happening with swann. A champion shouldn't look bad on his own show even whatculture mad their champ look good and they were a small youtube fed

·
Registered
560 Posts
I think the biggest problem is last weeks (Dec 8th) Omega debut was more than a little lack luster. I think a lot of people got their hopes up. Only to be let down with a bus interview. This weeks episode was more of what I think fans originally had in mind for the 8th. Imagine if the 8th was a regular episode of Impact. The 15th was Omega's debut. Start the show with the bus interview, mid way through the show we get the Anderson on the bus segment, and the show ends the same way with Omega and the Good Brothers standing tall. The wrestling world would be on fire. Now the bigger problem is they'll most likely lose more momentum with 2 weeks of year in review shows.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
People looked at what they had to offer and were not interested. Look I can praise Callis to have made the Omega deal with AEW but at the end of the day, Callis' tenure at running Impact has been a failure. I'll say this, when he took it, Impact/TNA was in the gutters. But it's still at the same place. Their only break out star was Tessa Blanchard and it ended horribly. You know Big John Gaburick's regime was not too bad in retrospect. And I don't only blame Callis either. Anthem hasn't done much with Impact. And for them to finally get success, they would have to maybe sell the company to someone willing to spend more money, maybe a bigger channel like WGN America so Impact can have more visibility.

·
Registered
870 Posts
One thing that doesn't help too, is that Impact is the night before AEW. AEW or Impact really didn't have anything must see on the impact or AEW dynnamite show regarding the angle; the first week. I also think AEW and Impact are just two different products. Think AEW fans like their product, and vice versa with IMpact. If anything, i can see why the impact fans are pissed; caused they are making their roster look back to the expense of AEW. This isn't something new where Impact made their champs look bad.

Plus fans expectations and high hopes for a invasion angle or something not happening.

·
Registered
898 Posts
I think the biggest problem is last weeks (Dec 8th) Omega debut was more than a little lack luster. I think a lot of people got their hopes up. Only to be let down with a bus interview. This weeks episode was more of what I think fans originally had in mind for the 8th. Imagine if the 8th was a regular episode of Impact. The 15th was Omega's debut. Start the show with the bus interview, mid way through the show we get the Anderson on the bus segment, and the show ends the same way with Omega and the Good Brothers standing tall. The wrestling world would be on fire. Now the bigger problem is they'll most likely lose more momentum with 2 weeks of year in review shows.
Yeah, I'm definitely expecting a bump with the Bullet Club Reunion heading into next show but who the hell knows with how unpredictable ratings can be.

·
Banned
2,362 Posts
Impact are booking this Omega and Callis storyline better than AEW are and he's their world champion. That being said they need to consistently get back to the 200,000 viewer range like they were pre-pandemic and then grow from there.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Impact are booking this Omega and Callis storyline better than AEW are and he's their world champion. That being said they need to consistently get back to the 200,000 viewer range like they were pre-pandemic and then grow from there.
The better question is... how has Impact been at booking their own heavyweight champion.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
148k viewers for the first January episode 2021 SHOWBUZZDAILY’s Top 150 Tuesday Cable Originals & Network Finals: 1.5.2021 | Showbuzz Daily

A very average number for them. While Impact looked like the big winner on the first week of this crossover, thinks may turn out different if they just get some, probably well paid, Omega appearances (imo not what cause the short hype) and Khan having fun mocking them on their program.
The problem is likely also related to the main title being so cold in Impact. A crossover among the tag teams and women may have had at least more steam than Omega hanging out with his buddies vs Swann and friends.

·
Registered
10,728 Posts
I dont understand what's happening with swann. A champion shouldn't look bad on his own show even whatculture mad their champ look good and they were a small youtube fed
because he sucks, hes not a world champion and the small percent that are to scared to admit the facts that the rest of the world knows.

·
Registered
10,728 Posts
The same thing was said about Daniel bryan enough said

umm bryan had a huge following on the indies before even coming to wwe. there is no comparison. people are not talking about the guy. yes hes a solid worker and fun but he is not that main event guy or even close. yes he has a place worthy on the roster. hell even bryan was not a main event guy. he just got lucky during a period when wwe had no one and people got behind trendy catch praises and underdogs

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
The same thing was said about Daniel bryan enough said
Bryan Danielson had hundreds of matches in NJPW, ROH, Pro Wrestling NOAH, AAA, and all over the indies before he became known to the casual audience as Daniel Bryan. He was widely considered the best wrestler in the world because he delivered multiple match of the year candidates every single year from 2002-2009.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
147k viewers this week, which is generally under average for Impact on AXS TV. SHOWBUZZDAILY’s Top 150 Tuesday Cable Originals & Network Finals: 1.19.2021 | Showbuzz Daily

This Omega deal apparently isn't helping Impact. Maybe the deepened relationship from this week will help them as AEW is a hot brand, though of course again the Impact roster did the job.
Generally I see the danger that Impact ends with AEW like Roh with NJPW. Though Roh at least had a longer time something from the cooperation. But Roh is after some time now worse off than before because they clearly made themselves look like the lesser promotion.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Who has time to watch anything live? Overnight rating don't mean as much as they use to. A lot has to do with the DVR +3 and +7.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Omega isnt a draw and AEW doesnt plug Impact the way Impact plug AEW.

All those people that asked what did AEW have to gain in this partnership, well atleast you know they cant really lose if they keep doing this.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Omega isnt a draw and AEW doesnt plug Impact the way Impact plug AEW.

All those people that asked what did AEW have to gain in this partnership, well atleast you know they cant really lose if they keep doing this.
AEW gets Don Callis as a mouthpiece for Kenny.

Sucks that Don is willing to put in more work to help another company and their star get over than he is for anyone in the company he's executive VP of.

·
Registered
84 Posts
AEW gets Don Callis as a mouthpiece for Kenny.

Sucks that Don is willing to put in more work to help another company and their star get over than he is for anyone in the company he's executive VP of.
Could be a sign of things to come, apparently his Impact contract runs out soon.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts