Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Every year people seem to get so hyped up over the draft thinking it will "shake" things up. But I got to thinking that a lot of these draft picks really had no impact on the brand, and ended up going back to their original brand within a few months (i.e Edge). So I'll rate each wrestler's impact on the brand as either "Forgot He Was Drafted", "Didn't Really Do Much", "Made an Impact", "The Whole Dam Show Revolved Around Him". So let's kick it off with the 2004 WWE draft:

To Raw from Smackdown: Shelton Benjamin: Benjamin sure as hell made a splash for about two and a half years on Raw. He won the Intercontinental Title three times, beat Hunter on his debut, and had arguably one of the greatest matches of the past decade against Shawn during the Goldrush tournament. He was a mainstay in the MITB match at Wrestlemania and always delivered some crazy spots. That being said he was always in midcard hell, and even when I thought he was going to get a main event push, he ended up jobbing. But Benjamin's two and a half years were enough to warrant him recognition and considered by most of the IWC for a major push. He may have been released but he was the highlight of my Raw. "Ain't not stoppin me" and no one really did for about three years.
Rating: Made an Impact

To Raw from Smackdown: Rhyno: So the man-beast gets drafted to Raw and loses his first match to Benoit it about three minutes. Honestly I hardly remember Rhyno doing anything on Raw except vaguely recalling a tag-team with Tajiri and feuding with Coach. That being said apart from a world tag team title match at Unforgiven he wasn't featured on Raw or on pay-per-views. He was released during April 2005 for having an argument with his wife before Wrestlemania ending his waste of a run on Raw. Rhyno was a waste of a draft pick and did nothing memorable during his time. The "Man-Beast" may be the most ironic name for this push over.
Rating: Forgot He Was Drafted

To Raw from Smackdown: Edge: "You think you know me" is Edge's theme song, and we were all wrong about what would happen to Edge's character on Raw. He first few months were boring, sure he won the intercontinental championship but it was just bland. It wasn't until his heel turn and feud with HBK, that I started noticing the star Edge was becoming, and that he was becoming a main-eventer on Raw. His MITB win at Wrestlemania further proved how well Edge as a character and wrestler were growing. His Kane feud as well as the Matt Hardy feud demonstrated how hated he was as a heel and how he was the perfect heel candidate for the belt. That being said after beating Matt Hardy at Unforgiven I felt like the creative team had no idea what to do with Edge; they sloppily threw him in a match against Flair at NYR 2006. But by the end of the night Edge was WWE Champion and he finally was in the main event. He would lose the title later, but his match against Foley at Wrestlemania just proved to me even more that Raw was Edge's show. The remained for 2006 would be Cena vs Edge in a plethora of matches, Edge finally got his change to shine. Some of you may be angry with Edge's rating, but I believe that Raw did become Edge's show.
Rating: The Whole Dam Show Revolved Around Him

To Raw from Smackdown: Tajiri: I thought this was the stupidest move ever. There is no cruiserweight division on Raw, why take one of the best high fliers from Smackdown and just put him on Raw so he can job out to Triple H and Kane. Ok, so Tajiri did more than just job, he won the tag team titles once with Regal, but it wasn't anything impressive. But, I must say Tajiri was featured a lot more on Raw than I expected him to be, and he was constantly being thrown in makeshift tag teams challenging for the titles leading me to believe the creative team wanted to do something with him. Truth is, Raw isn't the place for a cruiserweight that can't speak english (something Yoshi Tatsu is learning the hard way) and there was no way Tajiri was going to get a major push. He would retire in December of 2005, with his last match being on HEAT. ARE YOU KIDDING ME? Tajiri was one of the best foreign athletes ever and he couldn't get a proper send off. Well his final match characterized how he had been used his entire run, as filler space.
Rating: Didn't Really Do Much

To Smackdown From Raw; Rene Dupree: I had high hopes for the guy. He immediately entered a feud with John Cena that I thought was well written as was one of the few feuds for Judgement Day 2004 to have a good build up. I didn't expect him to win, but I thought the feud with continue; I would of much rather preferred Dupree winning the belt instead of Booker T. I found Dupree's Cafe de Rene actually very entertaining. I thought he was talented on the mic, but sub-par in the ring. Being in singles competition really exploited his faults, and there was no turning back. He formed a makeshift tag team with Kenzo and the tag team titles, but after that his run was a joke. He hardly appeared on television, and contributed nothing to Smackdown. But, I believe his feud with Cena was a little bit memorable even if it didn't really elevate him. I had big hopes for Dupree, too bad I was the only one.
Rating; Didn't Really Do Much

To Smackdown From Raw: Spike Dudley: Spike actually suprised me. I thought he was going to be a jobber, I thought he was hardly going to appear on television let alone be involved in any storylines. So you can imagine my shock when Spike won the cruiserweight championship and turned heel on Rey and was revealed to be the "boss" of the Dudleys. Well this is where the good stuff. Spike didn't do much after losing the cruiserweight title to Funaki, and with the Dudley Boys off of television there wasn't much to boss around. He ended up getting released, and hardly appeared on television after losing the title. Spike was a huge help to the cruiserweight division while a part of Smackdown, I just wished the creative team did more with him. Many people might have forgotten him, but his lone cruiserweight title reign stands out in my mind.
Rating: Didn't Really Do Much.

To Smackdown From Raw: Mark Jindrak: First of all, let me make it clear, I loved Mark Jindrak. His drop kick was the single GREATEST drop kick I had seen in wrestling at the time. This guy was athletic, had the physique, unfortunately he couldn't talk on the mic to save his life. I enjoyed his "Reflection of Perfection" gimmick, and Teddy Long acting as his mouth piece was watchable. But after Long left, Jindrak was relegated back to Velocity. So you'd think I'd be happy when he joined Angle and Reigns and formed another Team Angle right? Wrong. He was so misused. Sure, I got to see him more often, but he was no better than a cameraman. I saw him every week, but I wasn't interested in a single damn thing he did. To make matters worse, he goes on to feud with Luther Reigns for no reason. I don't know why they broke up the team so prematurely; it was evident that neither Reigns and Jindrak could survive as singles stars. He gets drafted back to Raw released. Jindrak is a person I think the creative team really messed up on. He could of feuded for the US title, he could of formed a permanent alliance with Angle. I know he couldn't talk, but he was just so damn athletic that it seems like a waste. He was better of with Lance Cade winning matches on Heat. Jindrak, greatest drop kick ever, waste of talent.
Rating: Forgot He Was Drafted.

From Raw To Smackdown: RVD: You will never understand how angry I am about how this turned out. I loved RVD on Raw "Mr. Monday Night", I expected him to be just as entertaining, and even get a push on Smackdown, what I got was RVD in a makeshift tag team with Rey Mysterio doing absolutely nothing on Smackdown. This pick was a waste. At least on Raw he was a tag team champion. He honestly did nothing on Smackdown. He feuded with Cena for a little bit up until The Great American Bash but did absolutely nothing else. He gets thrown into a tag team with Rey, and sure they win the tag titles, but does it really matter? No one remembers their reign, and Van Dam gets injured a month later, and is out for over a year. I had such high hopes for RVD, but his stay on Smackdown brought them crashing down. I would of much rather had him feud with JBL at Survivor Series instead of Booker T. RVD was another waste of a pick, and did absolutely nothing on Smackdown, when in theory, he could of become a main eventer on Smackdown.
Rating; Forgot He Was Drafted

From Raw to Smackdown: Booker T: Another guy, like RVD, I had high hopes for. Unlike RVD, he was given more chances. Even though he wasn't in the main event all the time, I was happy that he go to feud with Cena over the US title, and even managed to win it. I also liked how he got a title shot at Survivor Series and was in the main event for Armageddon. After that, Booker T began to fall off the map, having feuds with Heidenreich, and then being completely left off of the card for Wrestlemania 21. I didn't enjoy Sharmell at all, she worsened Booker's character for me. But, waiting finally paid off as Booker won the King of the Ring, got a gimmick changed, and finally won the World Heavyweight Championship. It was a long wait, but he finally managed to establish himself on Smackdown. And showed us that it only takes almost three years after being traded to actually start making an impact on your brand. On another note, I enjoyed his feud with Benoit over the US title, but I felt like these two should have been feuding at the World Title level, not for the United States Championship. If it weren't for both the feud with Benoit and the World title reign, I wouldn't be ranking Booker as high as I am right now.
Rating: Made an Impact

From Raw to Smackdown: Rico: Rico, I would have totally forgotten about him if it weren't for that weird tag team with Charlie Haas, and that title reign, I like how he played the funny man to Haas's straight man. He brought comedy to Smackdown, and the odd couple gimmick with Haas was enjoyable. The reign was cut short, but it wasn't as bad as I expected it to be. Rico's character really carried the tag team, and got the fans into the matches. That being said, after losing the title Rico didn't do much. Eventually Haas and Rico stopped teaming together, and Miss Jackie only accompanied Charlie to the ring not Rico. He was eventually released in November, and even though had the shortest stint on Smackdown, he left more of a mark that either RVD or Jindrak did.
Rating; Didn't Really Do Much

·
Banned
2,673 Posts
Going to go ahead and disagree with Edge when it comes to his draft to Raw. The show did not revolve around him. It revolved around Cena most of the time, and then DX at times. The only important time Edge was anywhere near to being the focal point of Raw was when he feuded with Cena in 2006 (which came to a grand total of 3/4 months combined).

After that, he was basically DX's whipping boy along with Orton.

His draft to Smackdown in 2007, on the other hand, was a bigger impact. He was put over by Batista, got injured, but then returned to instantly become Champion and essentially feud with Undertaker for nearly 6 months, get injured again, then return to become Champion and feud with Jeff Hardy then be involved in the main event feud of Smackdown for Wrestlemania 25, then feud with Cena and then Jeff Hardy.

Basically, when he was drafted to Smackdown in 2007, he remained as the focal point of the show when he wasn't injured from 2007 until his injury in 2009.

If you're going to pick Edge, then why would you not pick the draft when he was sent to Smackdown? Instead of when he was sent to Raw, where he didn't really make any meaningful impact outside of a few months?

·
Banned
9,124 Posts
Good lord. People really do keep up with this.

I have no idea really. The "drafts" only really mix things up for fresh feuds every year. I never saw it as a big deal tbh.

In a way, they're all good "picks". Except MVP, whose career has been on a downward spiral since being drafted to Raw a couple years ago.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts