Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 3 10.0%

Votes: 4 13.3%

Votes: 9 30.0%

Votes: 5 16.7%

Votes: 5 16.7%

Rate the Tag Team 2: The Dudley Boyz/Team 3D

1280 10
Same as the one with Edge & Christian. What do you think of the Dudleyz and how would you rate them?

My opinion, i'm a little biased because The Dudleyz Boyz(I am not going to call them Team 3D) were my favourite tag team. For me the Dudleyz were the best. Great chesmistry, good tag psychology, both were ok in the ring but they weren't anything special, but they complemented each other and compensated for their lack of in ring skills by having a dynamtic flow when together. The Dudleyz to me are an old school tag team, as they've been together for such a long time and been in various wrestling promotions. They've also been around longer then any of the other tag teams what were around during the attitude era. As far as charisma goes, they were very over. The fact that they could get a gimmick such as putting people through a table over with the audience is a pretty good feat, as who'd have thought a repetitive gimmick like that would get over huge. The team was mainly held together by Bubba Rey who has good mic skills but I think D-Von was the best of the team, considering the amount of members they had in ECW, and the brief period were Spike Dudley teamed with Bubba, D-Von was by far the best of them all.

As far as accomplishments go, I think the fact that they've held the WWE Tag Team Championships, WCW Tag Championships(Even if it was with WWE), ECW Tag Championships, TNA Tag Championships as well as Tag Championships from one of the wrestling promotions in Japan is an achievement in it's own, only rivaled by Road Warriors/Legion of Doom. Also they were one of the three tag teams(the others being E&C and Hardys) to help build the tag divsion and rememered for taking part in the TLC matches.

Despite being my favourite tag team, I rate them an 8. I guess i'm not so biased after all.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
7,601 Posts
In my opinion The Dudley Boys are a top five of all time tag team and arguably a top three of all time tag team as they dominated everywhere they wrestled and were involved in some of the greatest and biggest tag team matches of all time, as a heel tag team i don't know if anyone could draw as much heat as they could. When they were in ECW they were unbelievable for entertainment and i don't think any other tag team has ever made me hate them as much as they could.

They kind of stagnated in the last couple of years they were in WWE but that was more down to the fact that they were split up and used as singles wrestlers and then thrown back together which took momentum away from them in my opinion. They have been ok in TNA and i loved their feud with Americas Most Wanted in 2005/2006 but the booking has never helped The Dudley Boys and right now they are horrible to watch because of being split up and put in a horrible feud, so all in all i rate them at a nine out of ten.

· Registered
193 Posts
I never thought I'd quote Mark Madden but... The Dudley's called themselves the best tag team in history when in fact they were closer to the worst tag team in history. Great gimmick and finisher move. Besides that they had zero promo ability and wrestling skills. Vastly overrated.

· Premium Member
46,600 Posts
I'd say they are in the 8 or 9 range.

I DON'T think their legacy is made by the fact that they've held 20 gazillion titles. Why? Because in wrestling, nobody is ever truly a champion. They just play one on TV & on stage. The Rockers NEVER had the WWF Tag Titles and they are still one of the best tag team sof all time. So number of title reigns really doesn't account for much. Its the body of work attached to the talents. To be honest, I think The Dudleys have a pretty great body of work when they were at their best.

However, in 99-00, they were one of the most revolutionary teams of their time. They were a team that was truly dedicated to being a team (which is really lost in the WWE now) and they were a very important part of that tag team revival right along side The Hardys & Edge/Christian with whom they had great matches with. They brought something different to the table (pun intended) in that they were wild brawlers. E&C were personality + athleticism, The Hardys were daredevils, and all four of them were the pretty boy types. The Dudleys were all about being bad asses, ruthless, & violent, and they made it work. Hell, them powerbombing women through tables was one of the most disturbing series of segments ever (particularly the Mae Young bits) and they get major credit for pulling that stuff off. To me, E/C, The Hardys, & The Dudleys were the three best tag team sin the biz during that time. Hell, they brought the "T" to "TLC" and definitely made contributions to revolutionizing tag team wrestling right along with those two teams.

My major knock on them is that they got incredibly stale. By the time they left the WWE, I was thinking that they had done EVERYTHING they could, so what else was left? In TNA they livened up a little bit with some good feuds with AMW, Beer Money, & The Guns. However, they eventually got stale again and now, I'm just sick of seeing them period. If Edge & Christian suffered from not getting enough mileage out of the duo in the long term, The Dudleys suffered from being around too damn long and they are just overexposed. And unlike Edge & Christian, they don't what it have individually to become big singles stars.

· Banned
470 Posts
8. Overachieving tag team that worked the crowd well.

· I must away and tend to my ravens
12,225 Posts
Like E&C I'm giving them an 8 but for different reason. E&C missed out on a higher rating only because the true legends of tag-team wrestling were done by then so they were never truly tested. The Dudley's are/were inferior but they gain points for being the last true travelling team that stayed together through multiple major promotions on different continents.

· Registered
7,601 Posts
I never thought I'd quote Mark Madden but... The Dudley's called themselves the best tag team in history when in fact they were closer to the worst tag team in history. Great gimmick and finisher move. Besides that they had zero promo ability and wrestling skills. Vastly overrated.
I take it you never watched ECW because it was their mic skills that got them so hated as heels Paul Heyman would often worry that The Dudley Boys would get attacked by fans, i have never been a big fan of his because he is said to be a complete prick backstage but Bubba Ray Dudley is probably one of the top ten talkers of all time. The way to tell how great a tag team is if they get split up for no reason like a lot of tag teams have done since the turn of the millenium or if they are given very little tv time but The Dudley Boys as a team have always tv time that give them a lot of focus by the fans.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.