Wrestling Forum banner

Who should we rate next?

• Total voters
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
@DammitChrist I think the wrestler options are getting stale. In a lot of cases, every year we review/rate the same people over and over. Why don't you update both lists (current and classic superstars)?

Add Muhammad Hassan, Kevin Nash, Scott Hall, Raven, Victoria, Scotty too Hotty, Test, Wrath, etc.

·
it's a tarp!
5,228 Posts
Look/Presence - 9
In-Ring Ability
Charisma
Mic Skills

Now to qualify my answer. In 2000 for a significant period of time Kurt Angle was my favorite wrestler, and at the time I legitimately thought he was the best wrestler in the world. (He's number seven now so right up there.)

In 2000 I thought no other wrestler had the charisma Kurt Angle did, his mic skills were up there with The Rock. In-ring he could have a great match with anyone not named Triple H. And any skit he was involved in, he hit it out of the park.

However, he then got elevated to the top tier and he just couldn't hang with them and keep his shine. Undertaker decided not to put him over as champion, you could always sense Triple H really didn't like Kurt, and had no chemistry with him. The Rock and Kurt was great, Austin and Kurt also great.

It was when Kurt became the wrestling machine and the years leading up to it that Kurt dropped in my eyes, the idea that you can just beat somebody in a wrestling ring because you can for me at least is no buys.

Combined with 'shouty' Kurt as his new promo style, I ceased caring.

But again 2000 Kurt Angle, is about as good a pro-wrestler as you could get.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Aesthetic: 8/10 (Especially when he went bald and looked more like a brolic Lex Luthor)

Ability: 10/10 (His amateur wrestling background seamlessly transitioned into the WWF, along with the capability to brawl and perform high-flying moves decently. He is a two-time world freestyle champion, after all)

Charisma: 8/10 (In spite of the awful "You Suck!" chants, his dislike for black people, his attempt to rape Booker's wife (ironically black), his claim that France was better than the USA, him beating up a mentally disabled person, and his infamous claim that he loves playing with little boys, Angle was just too damn likeable to not want to watch him)

Mic skills: 8/10 (He's no Rock or Flair in terms of cutting promos, but when you can make a simple line like "I'll make you tap" sound like a legit threat, you know you're fucking amazing. Oh, it's true. It's damn true!)

Overall: 34/40 (One of the best wrestlers in history, Kurt Angle proved he is also a true Master of all Trades, which is very rare in general. Only a few can one-up him in individual traits, but none can come close as a complete, versatile unit as Kurt fuckin' Angle!)

·
Registered
7,430 Posts
One of the absolute greatest WWF/E wrestlers of the last 40 years. Easily, easily in the top 10 if not higher. There was nothing athletically he couldn't do, there really wasn't. In addition to mat wrestling he had the prettiest moonsault I think I've ever seen for example.

Look: 8 - Tremendous physically, he did wear some pretty crazy and ugly tights every now and then

In Ring: 10 - As good as it gets, people say he lacked some psychology which may be true but he was pure non stop entertainment, a great seller, and could back off like a chicken or be totally dominant and brutal if he needed to. Great looking strikes and holds. Go back and look at Summerslam 2002 and his match with Rey Mysterio. Even though he wins he bumps around like a pinball making Rey look amazing. Great finishers in the Angle Slam and ankle lock.

Charisma: 9 - You couldn't help but be drawn to him. So expert in the ring, great expressions, body language, great entrance.

Mic skills: 8 - Just fantastic, he absolutely shined equally as the goof, the badass, the coward and more. You can't go in to 9s and 10s though because they're reserved for very few people like Rock, Austin and Flair.

·
Registered
7,430 Posts
Ability: 10/10 (His amateur wrestling background seamlessly transitioned into the WWF, along with the capability to brawl and perform high-flying moves decently. He is a two-time world freestyle champion, after all)
This is often overlooked how impressive this is, and how rare it is the small number of amateurs make it in professional. To spend so long being trained at the top level to protect your body at all times, then having to do the opposite in giving your body to your opponent must be so incredibly hard.

·
Reap The Rewards
952 Posts
Look/Presence - 8
In-Ring Ability - 10
Charisma - 9
Mic Skills - 9

Reactions: DammitChrist

·
Registered
9,797 Posts
Look: 8 - Looks like a machine at his best, and was always obviously in shape. The red, white and blue singlets didn't always hit, and he often came off as goofy. A lot of that was probably experience-related, given he was excellent like a hiccup into his career.

In-Ring: 10 - If you can't give Angle a 10, who are you going to give a 10? And, as always, when I give a 10, I don't take it lightly. Anyone who gets a 10 in any category related to talent has got something that needs to be valued.

Charisma: 8 - He had a great personality and people were able to hook onto him as an in-ring legend, but let's be honest, he didn't really connect as a tippy-top guy, even when they half-way tried on SmackDown.

Mic Skills: 9 - He was fucking excellent on the mic. Great delivery, funny, dynamic when he needed to be. His biggest issue was that he sometimes wasn't able to shed the goofy tone and really project as a true menace. Sometimes that worked for him, other times it held him back.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts