Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With all this talk of Cena going heel we have to look at his replacement The Viper Randy Orton. Randy Orton cannot be the top face of this company with his CRAZY MAD MAN gimmick. It is not marketable. It will seem odd for Orton to act that way in commercials, TV Shows, and interviews. It will be crazy to have him host an awards show. No doubt Orton will be successful, but this gimmick won't bring in a top company face.

·
P.O.P., hold it down
22,552 Posts
1st off, there's a 1st for everything.
2nd off, Orton gets a bigger crowd reaction then Cena with all cheers, no boos.
3rd off, well I kinda agree with you on the mad man gimmick appearing on the commercials and all that.
4thly, SCSA was a mad man and he was the #1 face in the company just like Orton walks around RKOing people, Austin walked around stunning people, hell before the Rumble in 98, after every match he would come out and stunner every competitor. The only difference is Austin didn't act like he was having a seizure before he did it.

·
The One Who Knocks
5,341 Posts
These Austin and Orton comparisons are stupid. They have two different gimmicks. Austin was the no ass kissing redneck. Orton is a crazy man.
They're very comparable from the sense that:

a) they both beat the shit out of everyone, heel and face, without remorse, and

b) they were both intended to be heels but were just so damn awesome the fans turned them face.

Different gimmicks, but very similar premises.

·
P.O.P., hold it down
22,552 Posts

b) they were both intended to be heels but were just so damn awesome the fans turned them face.

This.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Austin fought against authority. He was crazy, but not like a mad man like Orton. Austin also had more personality and humor. He had a much better connection to the fans on a character level.

·
Administrator
58,995 Posts
It's more than that. Both characters have a relation to the fans because it's different from the normal goodie too shoes type of face. When Austin blew up, it was something different from Bret Hart, or HBK at the time. As Orton's blowing up, it's something different from the same Cena, Mysterio, type of thing.

·
DAVID OTUNGA's Personal Assistant
9,748 Posts
holy shit, read the posts better.
no one's saying they are the exact same, you don't need to list differences, everyone gets it.

what they're SAYING, is its the same premise. orton and austin, they kick ass. they walk in, and face or heel, deliver their finisher and cause chaos. that's it. that's all anyone's saying. and they're right. so let it go for christs sake. they aren't good guys. they are both anti-heroes.

and they could build Orton as a top face, but it's definitely going to take some time. a solid run as champion would help. although, i don't see cena turning heel anytime soon so i dont even know why i am saying this.

·
Registered
20,205 Posts
I have found out that many gimmicks can work as both heel and face. WWE fans can be very fickle and switch their allegiances from a heel to a face very quickly. I personally think that Orton works both as a heel and as a face, though his 2004-2005 face run had many disadvantages to it. I realize his character is different now, but I enjoy him as a tweener the most.

I agree with the Austin comparisons. The premise of the characters are very similar.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
holy shit, read the posts better.
no one's saying they are the exact same, you don't need to list differences, everyone gets it.

what they're SAYING, is its the same premise. orton and austin, they kick ass. they walk in, and face or heel, deliver their finisher and cause chaos. that's it. that's all anyone's saying. and they're right. so let it go for christs sake. they aren't good guys. they are both anti-heroes.

and they could build Orton as a top face, but it's definitely going to take some time. a solid run as champion would help. although, i don't see cena turning heel anytime soon so i dont even know why i am saying this.
I know how to read.:cuss:

Differences need to be listed because Austin and Orton appeal in different ways. Austin fought authority. What in the hell is Orton fighting? They still appeal to the fans in different ways for different reasons.

·
Asuka
96,210 Posts
Orton can't be the face of the company, I thought that went without saying. He's always going to be #2 and it's not because he's "crazy". Brock Lesnar was a fucking DESTROYER and he was leading the company for a brief while. It's because he doesn't have the personality. The face of the company has to be larger than life and that's not Randy Orton. The level that Orton has gotten to right now, that's IT for him. That's as high as he's gonna go. He's not going to John Cena's level of popularity and he's CERTAINLY not going to Austin's level. Austin's presence was out of the world. I don't care if the gimmicks are similar, the talents are not.

When Randy Orton gets a pop like THIS

then you can start the Austin comparisons, and he never will. Until then he's just an overpushed pretty boy that got popular because Vince McMahon forced his cock down the audience's throat.

·
Registered
20,205 Posts
I think Orton has a TV personality and a good one at that (not at the Austin level). I am not sure whether or not I am in the minority opinion, but I think he has yet to attain his full potential.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I'm a big RKO fan but unfortunately I can never see him becoming the commercial face of the company, Cena will dominate for another 5 years until another young guy blows up and looks like eclipsing him, at which stage Cena will turn heel, ending the PG era and causing the internet to explode.

I'd love to be proven wrong but Orton's crossover appeal seems limited by the fact that he looks like a serial killer (and his mat-thumping routine probably looks downright retarded to casual viewers).

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Orton won't be the top face, he doesn't have the charisma to be so.

Austin's character WAS more fan friendly. The beauty of his feud with Vince was that he was everything the fans wanted to be, a beer drinking, anti authority guy who said exactly what was on his mind and told his boss where to stick it. He connected to the fans, the fans identified with him.

Randy Orton is still playing a sociopath and became face by an accident. He doesn't really connect with the audience on a personal level.

·
Registered
619 Posts
If we check WWEshopzone, in the current top sellers, we have three Cena's merch in the top 5 best sellers (at 1, 3 and 4). The other two are one of NXT (at 2) and one is of Orton (at 5).

Nobody comes close to Cena and that has been the case since 04/05 but if we have to consider someone a top seller today (not named Cena), it is Orton. If the audience is buying his product, surely they see something in him.

Now if the question is if he can replace Cena as "the man", I don't think so (atleast not alone).

·
Premium Member
18,087 Posts
Like others have said the only reason Orton can't be the top face of the company is being he doesn't have the same level of Charisma as other leaders have had. Saying that he won't make it on acccount of his gimmick is pretty stupid considering Austin had a very similar gimmick and it made him one of the biggest stars in wrestling history.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts