Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Great One?..
10,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've always heard this, but I've taken it with a grain of salt but I always have that feeling that why would dirt sheets come up with such a rumor (as they have never sunk this low), something that bugs me though is that this was basically confirmed by a wrestling journalist named Irvin Muchnick in his book.

http://www.wrestlingnewssource.com/feed_news-3700-Wrestling_Journalist_Claims_Randy_Orton_Attempted_.php

Widely published wrestling journalist and author of the book “Wrestling Babylon”, Irv Muchnick, posted an update on his website claiming that well-placed sources within WWE have told him that Randy Orton recently attempted suicide. Muchnick was a guest on various TV programs when the Benoit tragedy was all over the news.

The following is an excerpt from his website:

A rumor is swirling that World Wrestling Entertainment star Randy Orton attempted suicide within the last year. Very well-placed wrestling sources tell me that the rumor is true. In the wake of the June murder-suicide of Chris Benoit and the scandal involving scads of WWE performers who ordered steroids and human growth hormone from the Internet gray-market dealer Signature Pharmacy, this is serious stuff.

It’s already clear that WWE’s response to the Signature revelations — generated by the district attorney in Albany, New York, and reported by Sports Illustrated and others — is a joke. Some vague number of the miscreant wrestlers, not named, were “suspended,” but the suspension appears to have consisted of simply being downgraded for a few weeks in TV storylines.

From the same evidence, Randy Orton was not touched at all. That is more than a little strange. Orton’s Signature Pharmacy order marked, at the very least, his second “strike” under WWE’s so-called wellness policy, which would have called for a 60-day (rather than a 30-day) suspension.

The suicide whispers mark the problem as more than a game of “gotcha” or even taste (Orton acquired the gimmick “Legend Killer” after WWE blithely turned Eddie Guerrero’s 2005 death into just another “angle”). It’s a matter of life and death.

Orton, 27, is a third-generation wrestler. He is engaged to marry Samantha Speno, a part-time gymnastics teacher, this fall. Last year Randy and Samantha moved into a country-club estate in High Ridge, Missouri (suburban St. Louis), complete with a gym, a hot tub, and four decks.

Over to you, WWE.

Irvin Muchnick

I'm quite happy this is in the past and now Orton is a champion with a great family.

Any truth to the story, if true wonder what he was going through as he was bound for success.

·
HOPE
13,222 Posts
Like you said, it's something that I've always taken with a grain of salt. There's always the chance it's true because I don't know him personally and I don't know what he's been through, but it would be more convincing if they got their reporting right.

Orton acquired the gimmick “Legend Killer” after WWE blithely turned Eddie Guerrero’s 2005 death into just another “angle”

wut?

·
Young winger learning from greats such as Downing
9,856 Posts
Yeah, that sentence you quoted makes no sense and is just another ornament on Muchnik's tree of "I'm a complete moron."

Let's not forget that the dirt sheets reported and "confirmed" Roddy Piper's death. That one didn't work out, either, did it?

·
Better than you
890 Posts
The first link doesn't work, and for the second one, the claims about Randy's suicide start at 4:58, not 2:10.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
What the actual fuck, I've never even heard this story before. I'd stopped watching wrestling throughout 2007.

His father Bob Orton has addressed this in the past. It was an accidental overdose. Nothing suicidal about it.
^ For real? Where's the information on this? :confused:

·
HOPE
13,222 Posts
His father Bob Orton has addressed this in the past. It was an accidental overdose. Nothing suicidal about it.
At the same time though, do you really think a father would want to come out and say his son tried to kill himself?

Cool it with the sarcasm chico.

Why would Orton have wanted to commit suicide? I mean fuck, you dont just wake up one morning and say "Gee, life is great. Wonder what its like if I end it."
People have suicidal thoughts for different reasons. People may think he has a good life, but that doesn't mean that he isn't depressed. Like I said earlier, I'm not saying I know whether this is true or not because all we can ever do is speculate, but you can't really look at something like suicide from a distance and ask "Why?". We'll never truly understand how others think and why they think that way, because we're not in their shoes and we never have been.

·
Celestial Messiah
33,588 Posts
Well Benoit, he did it for several reasons. The most significant of all being brain damage. I'm not claiming to understand why exactly someone would do this, but there has to be some sort of motivation.

·
Banned
4,731 Posts
At the same time though, do you really think a father would want to come out and say his son tried to kill himself?
It was at least a year after the incident took place and Bob brought it up himself, talking about how Randy was in a bit of a state with prescription drugs at the time. Now if he actually did try to commit suicide, why would Bob even bring it up? I believe he was just trying to clear the air a bit.

·
Registered
6,978 Posts
2 things:
1 - This is way above the IWC. I personally do not care about the personal emotional state of wrestlers, and I've always tried to keep the "IWC" above gossip magazines...
2 - This guy is full of shit. "HEY GUYZ RANDY ORTON TRIED TO COMMIT SUICIDE SOMETIME WITHIN THE LAST 12 MONTHS BUT I HAVE NO IDEA WHY OR WHAT MONTH OR DATE OR ANYTHING SPECIFIC. JUST BELIEVE ME AND ME AWESOME SOURCES PLOX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

I only care about the backstage politics/injuries. If I wanted to know about a wrestler's personal life, I would watch Hulk Hogan's shitty reality show.

·
HOPE
13,222 Posts
It was at least a year after the incident took place and Bob brought it up himself, talking about how Randy was in a bit of a state with prescription drugs at the time. Now if he actually did try to commit suicide, why would Bob even bring it up? I believe he was just trying to clear the air a bit.
He could also be trying to kill the speculation.

·
Banned
4,731 Posts
He could also be trying to kill the speculation.
Alright, I'm not having a go at you personally BkB when I say this but, I'm sick and tired of people trying to continue to bend the truth even after a legitimate source comes out and proves it wrong. Absolutely sick of it. It always happens. There's a stupid rumour and someone who actually knows what happened comes out and denies it then you get people saying 'Well, he's lying obvz. Why would he admit to it? Blah blah blah'

·
Banned
4,731 Posts
Was it a video or just typed up, if you remember? I'd love to check it out.
I remember reading a transcript on Randy-Orton.com but I think it was an audio interview originally. I've been searching for it for the past half an hour. Currently listening to a podcast of Bob from 2008 hoping to find something.

·
HOPE
13,222 Posts
Alright, I'm not having a go at you personally BkB when I say this but, I'm sick and tired of people trying to continue to bend the truth even after a legitimate source comes out and proves it wrong. Absolutely sick of it. It always happens. There's a stupid rumour and someone who actually knows what happened comes out and denies it then you get people saying 'Well, he's lying obvz. Why would he admit to it? Blah blah blah'
I'm not saying he's lying. I've said in this thread numerous times that this is all speculation. All of this is about taking the word of one man or another on a very serious and touchy situation. This has NOTHING to do with bending the truth, because you don't know the truth. You only know what people have said, and from there it is up to someone to come to their own conclusion. The problem is that you are so set in your ways that you believe Orton that you can't see that there could be another side to the story.

I personally don't see how you can possibly take Bob Orton's word over someone else's and justify it by saying other people are lying. You have NO IDEA who is lying. What you're doing is no different than believing one dirt sheet and then not believing another because you like the outcome of the first one better.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts