Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
4,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For months now Orton's been dwindling on RAW. Without a proper program to work with his character has undoubtedly suffered. All the WWE could give him was the same material, week in, week out. He'd get about 10 minutes air-time where he'd come out, RKO some peeps and leave. That would be that. The only other time we'd see him on RAW would maybe be one of those awfully stale backstage promos he does in the locker room with Matthews where after he's finished he'll glare off into nothingness looking proud of what he's just said. This shit got so repetitive it had me - one of the biggest Orton fans on the board - bored shitless.

Now it looks like WWE have finally given the guy a proper feud and HEY WHAT D'YOU KNOW he's interesting again. They've given his character his 'edge' back and what he did on RAW was some of the most compelling stuff I've seen in months. What separates him from about 95% of the roster really shone through here. By simply changing his facial expression he could get a different reaction out of the crowd. That, that right there, is what every wrestler in the business wants. He doesn't even have to speak. He can just look at the crowd and they'll start going apeshit. He fits the role of Nexus-destroyer a lot better than Cena and needless to say, this feud has bags and bags of potential. Will the Corre get involved? Who knows.

2011 looks like a good year for Randy Orton.

P.S if you disagree, present a proper argument, not 'Blandy Boreton can only do chinlocks and hump the mat, derp'.

·
Premium Member
2,997 Posts
Correct. Since his face turn Orton has had nothing to work with (storywise) but now he has been given a big storyline to work with (Nexus) so now he can finally shine.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Yeah, really great stuff from Orton. The brilliant facial expressions were back and there was that awesome anti-authority feeling coming rushing back that we hadn't seen in a while. I had a few flashbacks to when he punted Vince with Cole and Punk yelling at him to stop and the crowd reacting to every subtle movement.

As I said in the Raw thread, this is an ideal feud for a revived Orton. I'm just going to come right out and say Orton shouldn't hold a world championship for a long time. This is the kind of stuff he does best and when they turn Orton's motivation for being aggressive into chasing the belt (which they've done all year), he loses that edge to him. You can have Cena feuds built solely around the title, but I don't think you can have that with Orton. I think they've finally learnt their lesson in that regard.

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
I knew Orton would become a typical babyface the moment he turned.
The smiling, the talk of respect and sticking up for Lawler.

I don't care about his fued with Nexus at all.
I'd rather have Punk as a loner, screw Orton out of the title and reveal that it was Orton who had done him wrong.

I just happy Punk has a high profile fued going into WM, and hope that Orton is revealed to be the wrongdoer.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
I'd rather have Punk as a loner, screw Orton out of the title and reveal that it was Orton who had done him wrong.
That's what I think is coming. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think Punk ever literally said Cena was the guy that wronged him. Punk has great motivation to go after Orton, considering Orton screwed him out of his first title reign in 08. The Cena/Punk feud was probably a bait and switch all along.

I do agree Punk needs to drop the Nexus as well.

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
That's what I think is coming. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think Punk ever literally said Cena was the guy that wronged him. Punk has great motivation to go after Orton, considering Orton screwed him out of his first title reign in 08. The Cena/Punk feud was probably a bait and switch all along.

I do agree Punk needs to drop the Nexus as well.
No he never said Cena was the person, he just said that he was tired of Cena and his recent actions and was going to change him.

·
There is no duty we so much underrate as... being
19,155 Posts
That segment was really fun and for the most part, quite well-executed. Especially on both Orton and Punk's parts.

I agree with Samee and rcc and I've been preaching it for about four months now. Orton's entire motivation for existence for nearly a year now has been to chase, capture, defend and hold the world championship. After he lost it, he tried to get it back. They needed to break cleanly away from that and with the Orton/Miz finish Sunday night, they did so. Orton's character works best when he's in a heated, hateful feud, and there's nobody on the roster who would be better to get the best out of him than CM Punk. It feels extremely fresh and you could tell Orton's character was breaking free of the chains of being singularly driven by the desire of being a world champion.

Besides, it's finally time to get Cena back into the title picture again, from a purely pragmatic business standpoint, going into Wrestlemania. Two weeks ago I found the idea of swapping feuds to be uninspiring (though I still wanted Orton out of the championship picture), but right now it's looking like the right decision.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts