Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Wrestling Observer is reporting that with Randy Orton's most recent title run having come to an end, he has now moved to the number 10 spot in terms of most days spent as WWE Champion. Prior to Orton winning the title, Shawn Michaels was at the number 10 spot and has now moved to number 11. Randy Orton has held the WWE Title for 420 days. The rest of the list is as follows:

9. Randy Savage at 529 days.

8. Steve Austin at 529 days.

7. Triple H at 539 days.

6. Bret Hart at 654 days.

5. John Cena at 947 days.

4. Pedro Morales at 1,027 days.

3. Bob Backlund at 2,138 days.

2. Hulk Hogan at 2,184 days.

1. Bruno Sammartino at 4,040 days.
Thanks To The Wrestling Observer

·
Banned
2,673 Posts
Does the WHC count to this?
Nope. If you count it, list of longest reigning champions looks like this:

1. Bruno Sammartino - 4,040 days
2. Hulk Hogan - 2,185 days
3. Bob Backlund - 2,138 days
4. Triple H - 1,151 days
5. John Cena - 1,053 days
6. Pedro Morales - 1,027 days
7. Bret Hart - 654 days
8. Batista - 550 days
9. Steve Austin - 529 days
10. Randy Savage - 520 days (not 529)

I'm kind of surprised Cena hasn't ovetaken Triple H yet. I was honestly expecting him to with his last title reign. I guess he probably will either on his next one or the one after. And I was expecting Batista to overtake Bret Hart when he initially turned heel, but his unexpected retirement finishes any possibility of that.

Other useless facts:

Longest title reign with WWE Championship - Bruno Sammartino
Most WWE Championships held - Triple H (at 8, previously The Rock at 7)
Longest title reign with World Heavyweight Championship - Batista
Most World Heavyweight Championships held - Triple H & Edge (at 5)

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
I don't think World Championships means that much in wrestling overall (kayfabe wise yeah, but not past that). Edge has more reigns than Austin, Steamboat, Piper and Andre combined, and he's had half (if that in Andre/Austins case) of the impact of each of them on the business.

·
Banned
2,673 Posts
Basically what D17 said. But I think WWE does take note of these things.

Edge hasn't had one meaningful reign and most of his title reigns are because WWE didn't have other heels to pass them along to. So, basically, outside of two or three, he's been used to pass the belt around.

Austin had 6 (?) reigns yet managed to hold the belt for a total of 529 days.

And while Cena's number of reigns started increasing a lot in these last few years, he intially had a seriously long number of days with very few reigns (3 reigns that totalled 600+ days). Same as Batista who had been champion for 500+ days as a 3 time World Champion (which I think is one the main reasons WWE held the belt away from between 2008 and 2009 - he only held a World Title belt for 9 days in that period).

·
DAVID OTUNGA's Personal Assistant
9,748 Posts
it's not really a surprising stat. you give a guy like 25 reigns they're bound to get some days (exaggeration, obviously). but i mean, people these days are getting so many multiple reigns, that eventually it all just adds up.

wouldn't be surprised if Orton or Cena go out as like a 20-time champ or something.

·
Premium Member
15,438 Posts
I think Cena will def be a 20 time champ. I'm sure he'll pass Hogan too for the ammount of days. I'm sure if Vince could somehow find a way he'd have him pass Bruno too. But he'd need like a 10 year reign to do that.

·
Registered
21,591 Posts
Is there a complete list for anywhere?
You can find all the numbers on wikipedia. Then they have a list of the top guys.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts