Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After hearing the pops he got last night and the sheer charismatic presence he had, I truly believe Randy Orton is going to be the company's top face next to John Cena. He has everything...the look, the presence, the finisher, the ring skills, the mic skills...he's one of the few guys in the company to have 'it'.

In many ways, he is the 'anti-Cena'. In that while Cena is the family friendly American hero babyface, Randy Orton is the utter, remorseless badass that can strike at any time. He appeals to an older audience, while Cena is more kid friendly.

Thoughts on this?

·
Registered
291 Posts
You better be putting up your flameshield..

·
Banned
4,682 Posts
How the hell was The Rock "family friendly"? Maybe he is now, making movies about the Tooth Fairy and shit, but when he was a wrestler? He cursed in all his promos and talked about how much pie he got, etc. He handcuffed Mankind and hit him in the head with a steel chair 11 times! He sure as hell wasn't an "all american babyface". First off, he was heel as often as he was face. And second, his face character was still an asshole, he just was an asshole to heels instead of faces. LOL.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
How the hell was The Rock "family friendly"? Maybe he is now, making movies about the Tooth Fairy and shit, but when he was a wrestler? He cursed in all his promos and talked about how much pie he got, etc. He handcuffed Mankind and hit him in the head with a steel chair 11 times! He sure as hell wasn't an "all american babyface". First off, he was heel as often as he was face. And second, his face character was still an asshole, he just was an asshole to heels instead of faces. LOL.
This is very true.

As for Orton, I predict that he will turn heel again within the next year.

·
Premium Member
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sheesh, I don't think Cena and Orton are 'better than' Rock and Austin, I'm just comparing them in terms of being the company's top faces. That's all.

·
Celestial Messiah
33,588 Posts
I'd see him as the Randy Savage to Cena's Hogan. There is always this slightly more edgy guy next to the main face. Comparing Orton to Austin is ridiculous, though I can see justification for comparing Rocky and Cena.

·
1,817 Posts
If Orton is Austin
and Cena is Rock...

then the wwe has gone downhill!!!

It's a good thing there is better main eventers/mid carders now.

·
Asuka
96,241 Posts
After hearing the pops he got last night and the sheer charismatic presence he had, I truly believe Randy Orton is going to be the company's top face next to John Cena. He has everything...the look, the presence, the finisher, the ring skills, the mic skills...he's one of the few guys in the company to have 'it'.
Does 'it' mean it takes you 5 years worth of major storylines to get over with the crowd?

I'm truly convinced that anybody who compares Orton to Austin has never seen Austin, live, at his peak when he was the biggest wrestler in the world. There was NOTHING like experiencing Austin. Guys like Orton are a dime a dozen, anybody can be Orton. All you need to do is build a guy up, there's nothing else to it.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
9,500 Posts

In many ways, he is the 'anti-Cena'. In that while Cena is the family friendly American hero babyface, Randy Orton is the utter, remorseless badass that can strike at any time. He appeals to an older audience, while Cena is more kid friendly.

Thoughts on this?
I don't really mind the comparisons, but to say Orton had a "sheer charismatic presence" is a bit wide of the mark. The guy wouldn't know charisma if it slapped him in the face.

Though I'm bias against the guy due to my dislike for him.

·
Registered
5,659 Posts
Lmao @ the "How dare YOUUUU compare Cena to Rock and Orton to Austinnnnn"

I agree if we were to compare rosters to back then, they would be the two worthy comparisons.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Everybody chill the fuck out...

It's not fair to compare Orton to Austin.

First off a lot of wrestling fans grew up idoliseing Stone Cold and his character, it was a completely different scenario back then and the WWF was allowed to get away with shit loads more then the WWE. The audience back in the Attitude days were so much more enthusiastic about the product and Kayfabe was vital to a wrestling fan.

Those years (90's - early 2000's) were considered the best years to be a wrestling fan based on what WWF was allowed to do, Steve Austin was the baddest of the bunch and a true icon in a huge era, everybody knew who he was and everybody loved him.

Todays product is extremely toned down compared to said Attitude days, the things WWE can do are limited and the wrestlers can't get as much exposure or be portrayed as the bad ass Steve Austin was. The audience today isn't nearly as interested and give little motivation.

Seperate these eras, the audience, the superstars, the product, how can anybody be compared to the likes of Rock and Austin in today's world. Its not a fair contest.

What I think the OP is suggesting is that Cena and Orton are THIS ERAS toned downed, less malicious Stone Cold and Rock...

1 - 20 of 77 Posts