Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been hearing this for years. Randy Orton is the best wrestler in the WWE today, and I never understood it I never got it, I could never comprehend it! To this day, I still don't. I've heard Ric Flair say that Randy Orton, as far as being a worker is concerned, is “miles ahead of his dad...and his dad was a great worker.” So basically Flair thinks Orton is beyond “great”. I've heard Shawn Michaels compare Randy Orton to himself. I've heard Kurt Angle say Randy Orton is the best wrestler in the WWE today. I've heard guys like Finlay & William Regal talk about how amazing Randy Orton is. Booker T said he truly thinks Randy Orton is one of the very best of this generation. John Cena says that Randy Orton is without a doubt the most talented guy he's ever stepped into the ring with. Guys like Sheamus, Paul London, Brian Kendrick, Paul Heyman, DDP, Bret Hart, Cody Rhodes, Ted DiBiase Sr. & Jr, Jake Roberts, Stone Cold, MVP, Arn Anderson, Vince Russo, and Hulk Hogan think that Randy Orton is just that damn great. I'm sure their opinions hold more ground than a mark like myself, but to the viewer who is supposed to be entertained by good wrestling matches...I don't see the greatness that he possesses.

Look, I don't really hate Randy Orton but I just don't see what they see. I pay attention to Randy Orton's matches to try and see...but I just don't see it. I'm not saying Randy Orton isn't a good wrestler, I'm not saying that Randy Orton isn't talented...he most definitely is. Randy Orton is a very solid wrestler. Randy Orton has great natural athletic ability. And one any given night, with the right opponent he can steal the show...but that's it. He's not as consistent as people say he is. People say he can have a good match with everybody...but I disagree. His matches are largely boring and very plodding. When he had his run at the top with Cena, Batista & Triple H those matches which were praised by the agents as being so magnificent...yet imo they ranged from average to good. On a scale from a 1 to 10, they were a 5.

Even today (where people claim he's on top his game and has never been better) his matches are largely underwhelming. His matches usually consist of a dull beginning, plodding middle and awesome ending sequence. But just because the last 3 minutes were great doesn't mean the entire match was! Whenever he wrestles, I feel that the match was just getting good and then it ends! It leaves me disappointed. And keep in mind that this is a guy who usually gets 10 to 20 Minutes every damn week.

Other than his matches with Foley, Rey Mysterio, Christian, CM Punk & Dolph Ziggler...and 4 of those guys have a more legit claim of being the very best in The WWE, his matches weren't all that great. Most of his DVD, which is supposed to showcase how great of a talent he is, mostly consisted of decent matches. But that's it!

Someone please explain to me how Randy Orton is one the best wrestlers in the WWE today. Because when I think of Randy Orton, I think of good but not great and certainly not the best

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
I don't get the appeal at all.

Dull is the perfect word. Orton matches just lack...a spark. People call Cena repetitive, Orton wrestles the exact same fucking match every single night. At least Cena has energy, passion and honestly a way more credible moveset. People can blow Orton all they want, but it doesn't stop the fans from not giving a fuck about him.

Plus his psychology and selling are piss poor.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Didn't read the entire post but the first part and I feel exactly the same way. He is really skilled and you can see that he without doubt know what the hell he's doing.

I've been thinking about this for a long while. Watched WWE back in 2004-2005 and returned last summer. Didn't like him back then, and don't like him now.

My conclusion is that it's his bodylanguage that's awkward. His stupid forearm-uppercuts and how he's "coiling" and all, it looks so mechanic and fake. It just bothers me somehow.

I respect him and I know that he's tremendously talented, but he needs a total remake of his character and get some personality because now he's just a radiocontrolled robot set to angry mode.

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
It's simple - Flair and Angle work in the TNA, so they want boring performers in the WWE as they are the competition!

Michaels had a flashback to his drug addled days, and acting as a douche wants to see talented wrestlers buried to maintain his reputation as the best ever!

Its a conspiracy I tell ya, and thats the awesome truth....

And yes, Ziggles is best, DDB. When Michaels left, with all the wrestlers waiting to send him off, who did Michaels first hug and say goodbye too? It was Dolph! He was legitimately passing the torch their, a moment this board seemingly missed.

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
I'm a little biased being a fan of Orton, but he's working matches these days almost like he did around late 2003-2004. Back then as a member of Evolution, he was putting on consistently good matches. Only, back then, the talent base was much larger and the match quality in general was better. I mean, you had Orton putting on matches with the likes of: Shawn Michaels, RVD, Booker T, Chris Benoit, Chris Jericho, Edge, etc. From top to bottom, the company had decent, if not solid, workers and the match style was different too. There was more apparent psychology. Guys focused on attacking a body part A LOT more often in matches back then than they seem to now. Orton hasn't necessarily been doing that in his recent matches, but he's using a bit more in-ring psychology than he used to. The way he and Christian "started to pick up on each other's moves" was a small step, but when looking at matches in the WWE today, this isn't exactly common at all. There seems to be a general lack of psychology to matches nowadays. I'm not sure why matches seem to have become more about which move causes a loud audience reaction as opposed to which move makes sense, but that's what it seems like today. Orton wrestled both styles and he was damn good at it in his Evolution days. It's taken him awhile to adjust to the current style WWE seems to put on, but even then he's adjusting to that now. The style generally leads to unstellar matches, but Orton has recently put together a string of good matches despite it. Christian is a guy that does it well too. Cm Punk also. Matches on Superstars seem to have fewer limitations and you get a view of what some of the guys are capable of, but it seems the higher up a superstar is on the card, the more limited they have to be.

·
THE CORPOLUTIONSTRY
1,972 Posts
I think the argument is (and I can see it) that Randy's execution is virtually flawless. He may have a somewhat limited moveset, but what does do, he does with expert precision. Aside from him busting Cody open (which really was a mutual fail), I can't think of any botches on his part in recent memory, or any times ever where his fuckup has lead to his opponent being injured. He's probably great to work with simply for that reason, because he's going to take care of his partner and himself, and has a pretty stellar track record of doing so.

I can stretch a bit too. He's also absolutely sure of who he is as a performer, and has that character down to perfection. Every single thing he does in that ring is done with his persona in mind. He's very, very good at getting that point across. Sometimes his actions can be hokey, sure, but someone in a bloodrage tends to look a bit dumb when you're looking at them from a neutral perspective.

I'm not an Orton mark, btw. I don't particularly love the guy, but he has his moments.

·
Registered
880 Posts
I don't get the appeal at all.

Dull is the perfect word. Orton matches just lack...a spark. People call Cena repetitive, Orton wrestles the exact same fucking match every single night. At least Cena has energy, passion and honestly a way more credible moveset. People can blow Orton all they want, but it doesn't stop the fans from not giving a fuck about him.

Plus his psychology and selling are piss poor.
The fans clearly do give a fuck about him. Plus his psychology and selling are both great which is probably why he receives so much praise. He plays his character perfectly. And just recently made Mark Henry look like gold!

The only thing i have an issue with sometimes, is the way he is booked. The Christian feud was way too one sided and the standard RKO out of nowhere matches are too frequent.

I've got to say i was bored with him the last year or so he was on Raw, but since he has been on Smackdown he has clearly upped his game massively and managed to get good matches out of wrestlers you would never expect him to. Plus, some MOTY contenders with Christian.

Ultimately, i would always consider the opinions of people like Bret Hart, HBK, Kurt Angle, William Regal etc, more valid than when it comes to knowing what they are talking about, than a few random fans on a forum. Maybe it's because he doesn't fit the mould of the usual internet darling.

Randy Orton internet hate...I don't get it and I probably never will....

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
I have to agree with the legends and wrestlers based on what I've seen. Besides, most of those comments say he is great but they don't say that he shows it every time he's in the ring. You can tell he leaves a little sometimes. However he has worked much harder in 2011 without risking injury so I can see what they mean.

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
Join the club! He is epitome of blandness, he has a very limited moveset,crap at storytelling and carrying a match and he is supposed to be a face but comes off as a heel.
Each to their own but the guy in your avatar and sig has a similar in-ring style to Orton as well as a similar attitude yet you call Orton bland. I know Cody eclipses Orton in terms of mic work but still, I wouldn't mind knowing the differences you see in them. btw, I'm a fan of both.

·
Banned
3,483 Posts
Each to their own but the guy in your avatar and sig has a similar in-ring style to Orton as well as a similar attitude yet you call Orton bland. I know Cody eclipses Orton in terms of mic work but still, I wouldn't mind knowing the differences you see in them. btw, I'm a fan of both.
Cody has a better and vast moveset can have good matches with anyone and he looks like he cares about his ring work and he kills orton on the mic without trying! Just my opinion

·
Registered
4,887 Posts
well... Orton is a very good wrestler in my opinion, but his in-ring skills aren't legendary.

His matches tend to rely too much on the RKO - yeah, I know it's unpredictable, but somehow it also makes his matches predictable - like, you know the match never ends without an RKO, and there's no way Orton's going to hit the RKO when he does the pose first. Take Cena for example, he has two finishers that he can end the match with. Orton should get a second finisher (punt doesn't count), I think his matches will then be more fun.

·
The human torch was denied a bank loan.
7,576 Posts
Cody has a better and vast moveset can have good matches with anyone and he looks like he cares about his ring work and he kills orton on the mic without trying! Just my opinion
Orton a limited moveset? Not really. I like how there are still people that say he's bland, limited, can't tell a story etc, yet all those wrestling greats always praise Orton and say he's amazing. Who's opinion matters more here in regards to him being a great wrestler?

·
Banned
3,483 Posts
Orton a limited moveset? Not really. I like how there are still people that say he's bland, limited, can't tell a story etc, yet all those wrestling greats always praise Orton and say he's amazing. Who's opinion matters more here in regards to him being a great wrestler?
If legends opinions matter then you should not bother commenting as well since by your theory wrestling fans opinions are irrelevant

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
What makes a match "great" is only a matter of opinion.
Old school wrestlers have been there and their opinions mean a helluva lot, but if a fan (the guy who the wrestler is sharing his work with) is not entertained by the match, is it still a good match? Isn't a good match supposed to be entertaining to the fan as well?

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
I'd rather have people believing that Orton is the best wrestler than somehow concluding that it's Cena. While I don't personally believe Orton is the best, he's quite good. He's hovering somewhere in the neighborhood of the top five, but he's the biggest "name" of that group, so he's going to get extra credit. It also helps that he gets to put on longer matches than the guys who are better than him.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts