Wrestling Forum banner

RajonRondo9 [FIRST BANNER]

284 Views 5 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  i$e

It's my first banner, go easy. I know it's pretty bad, but I'll get better. I'm just looking for some pointers, I'm watching the All-Star Game so I'm not following any tuts 'till later tonight or tomorrow, but just thought I'd post this up and see what you think.

Been doing graphics for a while, about five years now, mainly with terrible programs like paint and early editions of photoshop, this was ALL new to me... I didn't know what I was doing half the time. I got PhotoShop Elements 9.

Just looking for some pointers and what I could do better, so thanks guys! :)
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

5,161 Posts
For a first piece it's quite good. Banner flows well. My big issue is the fact that the focal is too blended in. Far less green on top and you should be good to go. Text could be a little more noticable, but it's not really a problem. Colorscheme was thought out fairly well, points for that. A border would be nice as well.

Overall, good work for a first attempt.

· i ain't got no type
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did realize that and make one with a border, but uploaded the wrong one to PhotoBucket, I also made this one shortly after:

It's better with the colors and stuff, but it highlights that I screwed up on his arm, and I realize now that on the first one I didn't even cut out the background of the stands under his arm, :/.

I'm still getting used to the tools, so hopefully I will improve. Made this in 1 Hour of downloading it and everything.

· The OPINIONS expressed here are my OWN
459 Posts
I did realize that and make one with a border, but uploaded the wrong one to PhotoBucket, I also made this one shortly after:

It's better with the colors and stuff, but it highlights that I screwed up on his arm, and I realize now that on the first one I didn't even cut out the background of the stands under his arm, :/.

I'm still getting used to the tools, so hopefully I will improve. Made this in 1 Hour of downloading it and everything.
It all looks good but it's that same old gremlin which even I have problems with and that's text. It doesn't stand out, needs to be in your face so it's something that you notice but not so outrageous that it draws away from the image.

· FUCK WHAT YOU THINK
14,459 Posts
Hello. First piece, so I'll go easy.

~ What software are you using now? get Photoshop if you haven't already.

~ The cut of the player needs heavy work. Zoom in a ton and carefully cut it out w/ the pen tool; you've chopped half his arm off! Cutting a complex image is one of the trickier things as a beginner so it will take practice. Here's an alternate method tutorial if the pen is pissing you off - click

~ You need to do some typography research. What you have is too small and lacks any kind of 'pop'. I don't know why you have a barcode above it. Use Dafont.com to get some good typefaces and have a look around online at film posters and stuff to see how to use text. Don't treat it as an afterthought.

~ Needs a border, imo. ctrl+a > new layer > edit > stroke > 2px black. Basic method right there and will give each piece a 'finished' look; at least until you learn to do more creative stuff.

~ Background is very 'meh'. It's a very standard 'first banner' look (which it is, obviously). Start here and learn the basics of PS; shortcuts, tools, filters, grading, blending etc and you'll improve a bucket-load.

Don't take this as an attack, just trying to help because telling you it's good would be irresponsible of me.

1. Accept you suck.
2. Work hard.
3. Become good.
4. Work harder.
5. Become very, very good.

..and repeat until GRANDMASTER.

Good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.