Wrestling Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this forum has been saying this for months, but this past raw confirms it for me. Punks old character is dead. When AJ proposed I fully expected him to do the CM Punk is not impreessed look and be like "really? your proposing to me live on Raw. Thats so original.", but instead I i get a surprised face that reminded me so much of Cena. I don't get it...I honestly don't. Vince had it. He had the adults attention. He had a character that appealed to the demographic that alluded him for the past 5 years. He had a different kind of star that could work very well vs. Cenas babyface character. Why the hell would you squander that. Merch sales? If so that is an absolute lack of foresight and it's disgusting. TNA looks good because Raw looks so bad. It's not hard to have a face character that isn't like Cena. WTF is the WWE doing?

· Registered
2,267 Posts
I guess you're right. Punk has lost his edge and Punk has always been better chasing the title. So in my opinion, Bryan should go over Punk at MITB, setting up a triple threat match at Summerslam between Cena Punk and Bryan, with either : Cena losing therefore unsuccessfully cashing-in, or Cena pinning Bryan clean, since they won't let Cena go over Punk after all the effort they put into Punk building him up.

· Registered
1,788 Posts
I know this forum has been saying this for months, but this past raw confirms it for me. Punks old character is dead. When AJ proposed I fully expected him to do the CM Punk is not impreessed look and be like "really? your proposing to me live on Raw. Thats so original.", but instead I i get a surprised face that reminded me so much of Cena. I don't get it...I honestly don't. Vince had it. He had the adults attention. He had a character that appealed to the demographic that alluded him for the past 5 years. He had a different kind of star that could work very well vs. Cenas babyface character. Why the hell would you squander that. Merch sales? If so that is an absolute lack of foresight and it's disgusting. TNA looks good because Raw looks so bad. It's not hard to have a face character that isn't like Cena. WTF is the WWE doing?
Buries the whole storyline. Good job. People complain that Cena no sells storylines but they want Punk to continue shooting on them?

Yes, he's lost his edge somewhat. It doesn't surprise me that WWE has made him a typical babyface though, they don't know how to book faces.

· a Stupid Idea from Bad Creative
32,403 Posts
Thats the life of a babyface in the WWE now. Thats your character. I do agree with GetStokedOnIt's point about give the "not impressed face" after the proposal would have kind of shit on the whole storyline, not saying thats wouldn't be a bad thing necessarily though.

Also, this looks like its going to be a cycle for Punk the rest of his WWE career. HE will most likely feud with Cena again soon, at least signs point to that. For the feud with Cena he will undoubtedly take on more of the "heel" role and his character will get that "edge" back and after the Cena feud is over again he will go back to the babyfac character again. Rinse, Repeat until Cena and Punk both retire.

· Premium Member
3,034 Posts
Well I thought the segment with Eve is a hint that Punk may return to his old ways as the comment could light a fire under Punks ass. WWE wouldnt bury Punk like that for no reason, it has to be leading to something.

· Butter My Arse
16,395 Posts
Well I thought the segment with Eve is a hint that Punk may return to his old ways as the comment could light a fire under Punks ass. WWE wouldnt bury Punk like that for no reason, it has to be leading to something.
Yeah she didn't give that little speech to him for no reason. I think Punk is not so much showing a goodie-two-shoes character but maybe more of a 'I'm stuck in a rut' personality. He is showing signs after every week that he's getting more fed up and hopefully this will lead to him just saying 'fuck this' and turning heel.

· Registered
198 Posts
That particular moment in the storyline didn't allow Punk to pull his antics off; it was either save face for a brief moment or actually sell the main storyline on RAW right now - regardless of whether or not it is unoriginal. No selling the focal point of the plot would have been disastrous.

· Registered
183 Posts
I agree with OP. It has been clear Punk's character was in transition for some time but this week just killed the buzz I had for him. It's not his fault it's what the WWE are giving him. In terms of what they are asking him to do, I think he does his job well. I do however think Punk doesn't look natural in his current roll. It just looks a little too forced and this is not good for his character...

The biggest names over the years made their job look so natural and fluent. Punk strength is been risky. Saying what he really thinks. He can't shoot all the time because that would just be weird. But he can develop that character into his story lines if WWE let him.

The reason we are sick of Cena is because of the same regurgitated character he has. My fear is they will do the same with Punk...

· Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That particular moment in the storyline didn't allow Punk to pull his antics off; it was either save face for a brief moment or actually sell the main storyline on RAW right now - regardless of whether or not it is unoriginal. No selling the focal point of the plot would have been disastrous.
This is true. not only should he not be involved in this type of storyline but neither should Bryan. I just meant that he should've did something resembling his actual character. You're right tho, he shouldn't bury the storyline

· Premium Member
5,026 Posts
I think the character he's doing right now is kind of trying too hard for its own good. I do miss the old character, the one that has a lot of edge and kept me watching the shows again as religiously as I did before.

· Registered
6,748 Posts
Agree with you OP. WWE has done a very bad job with Punk the last couple of weeks. When he entered the ME scene last year with his rebel character, he finally was the original Punk, and in the ME scene. But slowly they changed Punk over to the 'company guy', all the things Punk despised (which he named during his rebel character) he IS right now.

· Premium Member
26,901 Posts
There's a thread called "Why was Punk apologizing?". It's basically the same as this and it's probably on page 2 or 3.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.