Wrestling Forum banner

Question: Spot Monkeys?

1071 Views 8 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  stjimmy1991
I'm going to get this out of the way now: I like John Morrison. Have done for years. I think he is the most deserving guy to have never been World Champion right now.

But people always put him down as a "spot monkey". I really don't understand this. Why are people that do high flying moves labeled this way?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but a spot is an unusual/different variation of a normal move. for example, the Cross body he did of the entrance at Survivor Series was a spot. Triple H doing a Pedigree through the announcers table would be a spot. Everytime someone jumps of the top rope is NOT a spot.

In an average JoMo match, he normally hits 2 of his signature moves: The Starship Pain & The springboard kick to the face that looks brutal. He hits those moves in 90% of his matches. So how exactly are they spots? They're just regular moves.

Same really applies to Jeff Hardy. The moves he does (Swantom Bomb, Whisper in the Wind) are moves that he does everytime he steps between the ropes.

Sorry, but I'm completely confused by some of the people here.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
4,651 Posts
First of all, John Morrison has largely transcended being a spot monkey - people who still use that term to insult him are living in the past.

Anyway, a spot isn't necessarily a special move, it's just something that punctuates a match. A spot monkey is a wrestler who simply transitions from one spot to the next without telling a story or making the match interesting. Like an actor who just delivers their lines and doesn't show emotion in a conversation.

· Registered
3,698 Posts
I don't like using the term spot monkey ,but that what the majority of Morrison's matches are numerous spots with no reason and psychology.A lot of his matches are all flash and no substance.This doesn't mean they arn't good either by any means.

There is however a massive difference between being a spotmonkey and high flyer.Mysterio being quintessntial of this.He has great psychology as he slowed down his style ,which allows him to tell a better story.He still plays one of the best babyface in perill in all of wrestling.Morrison should be taking notes.

· Premium Member
3,070 Posts
Jeff Hardy was a spotmonkey at one point in his career (that would be before his first departure from the E). And has had moments when he's fallen back into it. Then again, I haven't seen a good Hardy match since maybe his CM Punk feud.

Angle is another person being accused of this... For good reason, because his TNA work has been rather off as of late. This is the show that it isn't just high flyers where this trend has happened. As see Davey Richards and Roddy Strong.

Not all high flyers are called this, unless the said fan hates them. I've seen Lucha in general get accused of this... And that is just plain ignorant.

As for Morrison, because of his gimmick, he has been performing more spots than needed for the match. And I do feel like he's been too reliant on them to engage the crowd. Same applies for Jeff and Angle. However, he is still able to have great matches unlike the other two examples.

BUT... That doesn't mean he's a great ring psychologist or storyteller. He's good, but I can name a bunch of people in the E that are better. Then again, some of said people who are better have not put up very entertaining matches either.

And when I say that... I mean Orton.

In short, there should be a balance between the entertaining qualities of athletic wrestling matches, and the substance that comes with good psychology and storytelling. I think Morrison leans more towards the "entertainment" end while others, like Orton, Edge, and Kane, lean more towards the "substance" end (for Edge, it's because of injuries).

The guys who are closer to that medium in between would be Shawn Michaels and Dolph Ziggler.

· Premium Member
3,070 Posts
I don't like using the term spot monkey ,but that what the majority of Morrison's matches are numerous spots with no reason and psychology.A lot of his matches are all flash and no substance.This doesn't mean they arn't good either by any means.

There is however a massive difference between being a spotmonkey and high flyer.Mysterio being quintessntial of this.He has great psychology as he slowed down his style ,which allows him to tell a better story.He still plays one of the best babyface in perill in all of wrestling.Morrison should be taking notes.

I shouldn't have even posted. Quoted for Truth.

· Follower of Lockeism
13,499 Posts
It's just a strange mentality that a fair few people seem to hold.

Being able to do big spots, or do moves out of the ordinary doesn't make you a spot monkey. John Morrison is not a spot monkey in the slightest because he doesn't rely on spots, he can do spots, but doesn't NEED to do spots. Sure in a FCA match, or a ladder match, or a multi-man match the spots are obviously going to come because it presents the opportunity to do such moves. However Morrison can wrestle a 15 minute in ring match no problem, and pass with flying colours. His matches flow, his in ring moves are entertaining, the crowd enjoy it, he can tell a story, he's a complete in ring performer. Just to mention to, the Morrison/Sheamus ladder match was one of the least spotty ladder matches I've seen in years wtih some fantastic selling and ring psychology.

Morrison isn't a spot monkey, Mysterio isn't a spot monkey, Bourne isn't a spot monkey, Kingston isn't a spot monkey, hell Jeff Hardy (from 08) wasn't actually a spot monkey. It's just a term that's thrown around unecessarily when it doesn't fit the wrestler half the time.

· Banned
266 Posts
It's just a strange mentality that a fair few people seem to hold.

Being able to do big spots, or do moves out of the ordinary doesn't make you a spot monkey.
This,i stumbled on many posts like that while lurking around here.I just :lmao when i see someone trying to take away credit from a guy who does a 630 splash from a ladder thru a burning table without killing himself and says something along the lines:"He should have worked his leg more"

There is a big difference between a high flyer (Mistico) and a spot monkey (Jack Evans) and there is a big difference between psychology (Jake Roberts) and simple case of lazyness/inability (i.e. Orton)

The term spot monkey gets thrown around here way too much with no reason.

· Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's ironic that one of Morrison's least spotty, most psychologically sound matches was a ladder match.
Complete truth.

Theoretically, if a spot monkey is someone who goes from one move to the next without any psychology, every squash match is full of spots. And most faces are spot monkeys, because they get dominated by heels for the entire match, before hitting their opponant with big moves for their comeback.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.