Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Making pot pies for Kevin Nash
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I am sitting here watching some WCW shows from 1994, and noticed Tony repeatedly saying "Starrcade last Monday"

Was it common for PPVs to be on a weekday during that time?

Thanks guys and hope y'all are having a good weekend so far.

·
Registered
5,442 Posts
Re: Question;

As far as I was aware it was always on Sundays. Starrcade was always around holiday season so perhaps they had some Monday night ones because of scheduling?

·
Registered
8,854 Posts
Re: Question;

No they did not usually happen on any day but Sundays. There were exceptions however like the early Survivor Series was on Wednesday before Thanksgiving. I did not watch WCW at that time but I quick search shows 12/27/1994 was a TUESDAY. Either way I would assume the event was moved from Sunday due to the Christmas holiday.

·
Super Moderator Going Backwards With WF
33,399 Posts
So, I am sitting here watching some WCW shows from 1994, and noticed Tony repeatedly saying "Starrcade last Monday"

Was it common for PPVs to be on a weekday during that time?

Thanks guys and hope y'all are having a good weekend so far.
When you create a thread, could you include an actual thread title on what's it about. I've edited this one to make it more clear.

·
Premium Member
14,965 Posts
Maybe Tony Botched it,as Nitro was also on Monday

Honestly,it wouldn't surprise me a single bit.
:russo
Nitro didn't exist back then.

We're talking 1994. The PPV OP is referring to is Starrcade '93, as it's the only way Tony could reference what happened last Monday at Starrcade, while the year is actually 1994. Starrcade '93 actually happened on a Monday. The next WCW TV didn't air until the new year. So, Tony didn't botch, forget or get anything wrong.

And speaking of PPV's not always being on Sunday, with WCW, that happened quite often from '87 to '93. It wasn't just because Starrcade was around Christmas. For example, Starrcade '89 took place on December 13, which was a Wednesday. They also did this with other PPV's during that period. It wasn't really a set date at that time.

With WWF, it was kind of the same thing, not just with Survivor Series. Their first PPV, The Wrestling Classic, happened on a Thursday. Wrestlemania 2 happened on a Monday. Royal Rumble '91 and '92 took place on weekdays. Summerslam didn't start happening on Sundays until 1995.

Not sure what the reason was or if there even was a reason.

·
Banned
9,176 Posts
PPVs in the Bischoff era aired on Saturdays.

·
I'll take you down the only road I've ever been do
52,329 Posts
Nothing informational to add. Just wanted to say how weird it is to envision a PPV taking place on any night other than a Sunday. I guess a weekend night is understandable. But a PPV on a weeknight is just downright odd. Wouldn't have even known any of this took place without reading this thread. (Y)

·
Registered
996 Posts
Nitro didn't exist back then.

We're talking 1994. The PPV OP is referring to is Starrcade '93, as it's the only way Tony could reference what happened last Monday at Starrcade, while the year is actually 1994. Starrcade '93 actually happened on a Monday. The next WCW TV didn't air until the new year. So, Tony didn't botch, forget or get anything wrong.

My bad :cole

·
Making pot pies for Kevin Nash
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nothing informational to add. Just wanted to say how weird it is to envision a PPV taking place on any night other than a Sunday. I guess a weekend night is understandable. But a PPV on a weeknight is just downright odd. Wouldn't have even known any of this took place without reading this thread. (Y)
Same here man, and as I stated earlier, only reason I found this out was because I was watching other WCW shows from that time period. Prior to seeing those tapes, I always thought ALL PPVs always took place on Sundays.

It is hard to envision a PPV taking place on a weeknight.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts