Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Buried by Triple H
3,317 Posts
When did Vince decide to give Undertaker his Wrestlemania streak? Was it something that they decided when he debuted or?
Yea, when Undertaker first entered WWE back a while ago, they told him straight up that he would have a massive Wrestlemania streak that would expand eventually to 22-0, and told him exactly who he would defeat, in the correct order, and how each match would go along.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea, when Undertaker first entered WWE back a while ago, they told him straight up that he would have a massive Wrestlemania streak that would expand eventually to 22-0, and told him exactly who he would defeat, in the correct order, and how each match would go along.
thankyou for explaining smartass

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
No they didn't book that long term. They said it was a thing at Mania 18, Mania 21 had the first story about someone fighting Taker specifically to break the streak though booking considered breaking it, Mania 23 or 24 was last time it could have been broken.

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
It wasn't planned. It just so happened that Undertaker fought scrubs early on -- guys like Giant Gonzalez, washed-up Snuka, and Diesel + Sid who were on their way to WCW.

Around Wrestlemania 17 or 18, they realized they had something. Wrestlemania 18 was the first time it became a major storyline, but at Wrestlemania 17, J.R. mentioned Undertaker's streak in the opening of the match.

Wrestlemania 14 was the only time Undertaker's streak was in danger: It was around 65-45% chance that Undertaker would win.

·
Premium Member
44,439 Posts
The first time I recall them ever trying to make anything of the streak was going into Wrestlemania X-Seven. It wasn't so much a part of the story, but that was the first time the commentators kept bringing it up. So much so that I was almost certain Taker was going to lose to Triple H that year, ha ha. I never dreamed that the Streak would become the staple of Wrestlemania that it is today.

Before X-Seven, there had been some passing comments about Taker's success at Wrestlemania, but it was never done in an elaborate way to make anything out of the streak. On commentary at XIV, I recall JR saying something like "Undertaker has been very successful at Wrestlemania, even winning the WWF Championship last year" or something to that extent.

·
Registered
4,365 Posts
It happened naturally by accident....the years it started to truly build up had Undertaker win for a reason other than the streak. 97 he was going to be champion, 98 he was finally defeating Kane, 99 he was hanging Bossman, 2001 he was getting his hands on and kicking HHH's ass. 2002 he was the active star against the owner Flair.....By then they had themselves a winning streak almost by accident.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
Taker beat King Kong Bundy, Diesel, Sycho Sid, Kane, and Big Bossman on back to back Manias, that's when they realized they had a streak going, and he would just keep going over superstars over the following years, and now it has become one of the biggest things in wrestling.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Not a stupid question at all. I actually wonder that myself a lot too. I don't have any insider information, nor have I heard much. I guess it was just by coincidence. I know the 1st time it was ever in danger was the fight against Sid. The only reason he won was because Sid was bouncing for WCW. Kane probably could have ended it, and it was really close to being ended by Orton. Luckily those guys didn't need it to have successful careers. I don't know how much longer it will go on, but I like it. It's given Wrestlemania a guaranteed big match for the past few years now.

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
how was that a stupid question? should I have worded it differently asshole
Try using your brain. Do you really think they told him the day they signed him that they were going to do a program that leads him to be undefeated at WM for over 20 yrs? Think about how stupid that sounds.

·
Premium Member
18,745 Posts
He just kept going over people until someone probably noticed they had a streak going. Looking at his early opponents he was a no brainer to go over.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Try using your brain. Do you really think they told him the day they signed him that they were going to do a program that leads him to be undefeated at WM for over 20 yrs? Think about how stupid that sounds.
er, how is putting someone down for asking an honest question helpful?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts