Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok not sure if this has been asked before, and it's something that I've always wondered about since I first saw it. In the DVD The Self Destruction of the Ultimate Warrior they show his debut in WCW and the promo he was cutting on Hollywood Hogan, how he beat Hogan at Wrestlemania and Hogan had never beat the Warrior. Hogan says it is the ultimate no-no in the wrestling business? I don't really see the big deal in this, since it has been done before and after their segment. Just wondered if anyone else was confused by this or if anyone could explain a little better.

·
Registered
76 Posts
That's a good question. Maybe Hogan said as much beause it's Hogan and you never try to show him up, or because it's all scripted and so fronting it like you are bigger than the biggest figure in wrestling history because he was gratious enough to put YOU over is a no no. The second one would be my guess.

·
Celestial Messiah
33,588 Posts
Yeah I felt that made little sense too. I mean anyone whos even heard of Hogan or Warrior knows about their match at Wrestlemania 6. I mean hell, I still think Hogan only bought Warrior in to take back that win.

But the promo, that was fucking ridiculous :lmao
Just standard Warrior insane rambling.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Yeah I felt that made little sense too. I mean anyone whos even heard of Hogan or Warrior knows about their match at Wrestlemania 6. I mean hell, I still think Hogan only bought Warrior in to take back that win.

But the promo, that was fucking ridiculous :lmao
Just standard Warrior insane rambling.
Tru Dat! I think it was horribly obvious that Hogan did indeed only bring in Warrior to get the win on him from WM 6. I don't think that win really mattered though, Helwig won the one that actually counted and only because Hulkamania was starting to lose steam after his years of dominance.

The promo though. That really was just a face palmer. Go back and watch it, and check the look on Hogans face, it's utterly priceless. He looks just astonished, and dumbstruck by the mindless rambling of Warrior. That part of it is pretty funny.

·
Banned
18,557 Posts
They had a match coming up at Halloween Havoc with all this buildup and Warrior as soon as he showed up basically told everyone "I beat Hogan before." so they were trying to explain that Warrior in a sense cost potential buyrates from casual fans (since not everybody has seen Wrestlemania VI) by bringing up their history.

It'd be like me spoiling the ending of a movie for you thus killing your interest in watching the sequel.

- Vic

·
Celestial Messiah
33,588 Posts
They had a match coming up at Halloween Havoc with all this buildup and Warrior as soon as he showed up basically told everyone "I beat Hogan before." so they were trying to explain that Warrior in a sense cost potential buyrates from casual fans (since not everybody has seen Wrestlemania VI) by bringing up their history.

It'd be like me spoiling the ending of a movie for you thus killing your interest in watching the sequel.

- Vic
But I thought the entire point of bringing Warrior in is because of his history with Hogan. Clearly Warrior was brought in because he had his fans. And any Warrior fan surely knows about the match he had with Hogan.

You know what really would have been bad? Hogan mentioning the time he bodyslammed Andre in Germany. If he mentioned that in the buildup to Wrestlemania 3, that would have been retarded, since people probably didnt even know who the fuck Hogan was back then.

But this, it was a huge incident.

·
Banned
4,257 Posts
It's just Hogan being insecure. Of course he couldn't see past his self-centered carny mindset and realize "Hey, this is the one guy who beat me before and never got put on the back-burner, we have a unique selling point here."

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Why are so many threads pertaining to Warrior coming up? If something involves Warrior, good chance its perfectly senseless. Nothing new in that.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Just Hogan trying to put himself in a favorable light by disparaging others. I think Hogan is the GOAT but his charisma is more weighted to an 'in-ring' charisma (flexing, hulking-up, nostalgia) rather than being able to out-talk everyone. He will try to put down anyone that tries to out-do him on the mic, like Warrior did there when he got carried away with 10 minutes of talking. I thought it was ok by Warrior since he wasn't going to have a lot of build-up matches and needed to get himself over for the younger fans who might'nt have known his past.

·
Banned
1,703 Posts
It's just Hogan bullshit. He did the very same thing to Piper once saying Piper had never beaten him but thats fine because it's Hogan.

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
Nothing on that DVD will be as senseless as the idea of parting with money to watch an Ultimate Warrior themed DVD.

·
When we all fall alseep where do we go?
23,612 Posts
I actually almost got it a a Fleamarket the other day beacause it was only like 2$ lol. But well it was The Ultimate Warrior for god sake.. I rather have bought the Devil May Cry game collection they had there for 10$ instead.

I collect all the DVDs so I suppose I will eventually pick it up though.

·
Registered
7,592 Posts
Alls I have to say (Off topic) that match at HH with those two was horrible.

To the op question. I think hogan was pissed, that the warrior told the WCW fans hogan never beat him or rubbing it in his face, who knows.

·
Registered
12,415 Posts
As Hogan explained it, it would hurt anticipation for the match if it was brought up Warrior had beaten Hogan before. They were trying to relive the magic that it originally happened at WM by hyping it up as a huge match rather than a rematch. As another person pointed out, it would be the equivalent of Hogan showing videos of Andre getting slammed by various wrestlers in Japan and then trying to make his body slam at Wrestlemania 3 a big deal.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
But The Warrior's comments about there WM 6 match gave WCW more of a real feel while WWE was in there little storyline oblivious to the past mode. The Hogan vs Warrior WCW rematch should've been on the Warrior DVD. It wasn't great but it was fun to watch.

·
Celestial Messiah
33,588 Posts
But The Warrior's comments about there WM 6 match gave WCW more of a real feel while WWE was in there little storyline oblivious to the past mode. The Hogan vs Warrior WCW rematch should've been on the Warrior DVD. It wasn't great but it was fun to watch.
If by fun, you mean 'trainwreck you cant help but watch and enjoy', then yes, it was fun.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
All good points. But as was said, the entire reason they brought Warrior in was BECAUSE of the history he had with Hogan. If it wasnt the reason then why did Hogan look petrified when Warrior was coming down the ramp. The main point of their buildup was that they had already faced off at Wrestlemania. But if I'm as much of an egomaniac as Hogan I wouldnt want Warrior saying he had beat me either. And that's not a huge bash on Hogan either, I love the guy for what he's done for wrestling...on camera, but hate some of the backstage politics he's pulled

1 - 19 of 19 Posts