Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oh yeah, my deathmatch topic gets a sequel. Peeps says sequels are never better than the first, so let's prove those peeps wrong.

Enough with my jibber-jabber. What do you think about puroresu? Puroresu is basically Japanese wrestling. Do you love it? Do you hate it? Never seen it?

I love it. I've only be watching since the beginning of the year, but I can see myself keeping interested in it until I stop watching wrestling. It has become a cushion that I know I can fall onto if I ever stop watching WWE, I know I can still watch puro.

Why do I love it? I love the hard-hitting strikes, the awesome ending sequences, the epic theme music and story-telling in puro.

Leave what you love and hate about puro below. If this topic is a success, I'll do another one on say, lucha or backyard wrestling.

·
Banned
15,929 Posts
I worship it. I'm a huge fan of Japanese culture anyway, so it's natural that I love puro too.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I've only just started to watch puro but from what I've seen I love it already. Every strike looks like it hurts like hell, it really draws you in every time the match slows down a bit.

My favorite part in a puro match has to be when two guys are letting loose on each other and neither of them backs down. It just makes the moment so real and believable that I just don't want to stop watching.

·
Banned
3,066 Posts
I like it. I enjoy heavyweights more than the juniors but to each their own. It's very fun to have an alternative to WWE (that is now f'ing everything up) and ROH (which just isn't good anymore) that put on consistant good matches.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
I've seen puro for a year now, and I love, right now, New Japan is my favorite promotion in the world, I think I won't stop watching it.

·
Masonic!
1,547 Posts
Been watching for a while, always makes it tempting to learn Japanese, move there and make just enough money to see all the shows.

Amazing stuff, The quality of the matches, the way they companys work with each other. Pretty much everything is done better in Japan.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
i have been watching puro for a few years now.. like said above, i know i have it to fall back on when i see some shitty american wrestling.. i can just pop in an old dvd or watch something online or my comp and get that horrible taste out of my mouth..

I am a fan of all puro, from the strong style, to the toryumon styles to the king's road.. i love it all.. its an art form.. Even when i give up watching the companies here in the states, i will always have time for a puro match..

i would give so much, if NJPW could get there tv show on over here in the states it would be epic.

·
Registered
923 Posts
I've watched it inconsistently over the years. I try to watch matches that are praised or put in high regards, but generally speaking, it's more of a hassle for me to watch than american indies so it's not my top priority.

·
Ben Wyatt's Low Cal Calzone Zone
5,893 Posts
Mid 80s and early 90s were incredible years not only in match quality but shrewd booking from Baba. By 1995 or so the consistent quality had dropped but they still produced classic matches post 1995 mainly through Misawa/Kobashi and the emergence of Akiyama and odd Kawada/Misawa match.

Honestly I have little interest in modern Puro these days, Kings Road style is something I can always watch and never tire of but since Kobashi vs Sasaki did that infamous chop battle I can't really enjoy most matches which inexplicably delve into random strike exchanges to try and recreate that spot. I think Kanemoto vs Hayato are one of like 3 combos that can make the stiff strike exchange work on a Regal vs Finlay level and not look contrived.

·
Ramble On
11,084 Posts
I've been following NOAH for a few years, and just this year really got into New Japan. Great stuff, not so much from NOAH these days though but they still pull out some great matches. 90's All Japan is the absolute nuts though, I only properly got into that this year aswell.

·
Banned
15,929 Posts
but since Kobashi vs Sasaki did that infamous chop battle I can't really enjoy most matches which inexplicably delve into random strike exchanges to try and recreate that spot. I think Kanemoto vs Hayato are one of like 3 combos that can make the stiff strike exchange work on a Regal vs Finlay level and not look contrived.
Those exchanges are just one psychological weapon, tbh. Just like staredowns between two wrestlers in promos. It's about "Man up" and "Balls to the walls" stuff, to gain some psychological advantage.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts